DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My first ever purchase from an autobody supply store. The guys did not know what to make of me and my project so it was fun messing with them 🤪

Automotive tire Bumper Tread Gas Automotive exterior

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
May I ask what happened with the Yaris ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
May I ask what happened with the Yaris ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ya for sure, it has been given to my daughter as her first car. almost all the previous install was removed and more basic stuff put back in. She still goes on drives to listen to music in her car which is cool.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
A good application of kitty hair mixed with resin on the inside to add strength, build up the wood, fill voids ,,,etc.

Hood Automotive tire Tire Yellow Vehicle

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
and the outside for the same reason, mostly to build up the shape and catch low and gapped spots.

Hood Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Shaping the tweeter section with some hobby supplies (model railroad) plastic strip. Glue, sand and shape easily.

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Aviation Eyewear
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Eyewear

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
filling in and supporting the back side of the tweeter section.

Vehicle Hood Wood Vehicle registration plate Water

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Another test fit in the car for clearance, shape , and test bumps on the RTA including listening. the results are turning out very good and I have a solid 100hz above the dash,

Instrument and vocal placement is cohesive, continuous and just there ( cello, double bass, piano, acoustic guitar) in the proper place anywhere on the dash and the depth of the sound field is solid including width of stage. The geometric compression of the sound stage is minimal on the left hand side through the steering wheel area.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive mirror

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
For those that care about such things, I have the RTA curve left, right and both sides with a simple basic (10 minute tune literally) tune in it to get it to the point of understanding what is going on and how the speakers work on each side and individually.

Blue = left
Green = right
red = both

Oscilloscope Font Line Electronic instrument Computer

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Doing the mounting structure for the pillar. I have 3 bolts holding the pillar on to the frame of the car using threaded nutserts.

(2) 1/4 -20 machine bolts and (1) 8-32 machine bolt. the machine bolts allow me to suck in the pillar to the a-frame allow me to place foam around all the pillar edges to seal the pillar as much as possible to prevent leakage. It seals really tight and light is not visible around the pillar edges.

Plus as an added bonus the airbag still will function as normal as the top of the pillar can still release to the full extent of the plastic strap that limits how far the pillar comes out.
Aircraft Aviation Gas Spaceplane Airplane
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Mixed up some milkshake to add mass and further strengthen and fill any remaining voids if any.

Green Creative arts Gas Art Paint

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Final fill and sanding completed. I have done my fist coats of black primer. i am going to leave them in this state until I finish my door pods to the same state. At that point I will decide on final finish.

I have gloss black (opaque) acrylic for a front baffle that I am going to use as a final baffle for the enclosure that the drivers will sit into. I am waiting to do that piece.

I am open to suggestions on how to finish out the pillars, so fire away!!

I am super happy with how they have turned out. Being my very first pillar build and I was not sure 😬

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Cabinetry Wood Floor Flooring Material property
Wood Sleeve Creative arts Material property Eyewear

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
All caught up now almost. This is the stage I am at. I have started the door build but I am at the beginning stages. it may not be obvious but the drivers side door is open hence the light showing through by the tweeter.

Car Mirror Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Fantastic job! I applaud your willingness to jump right in and tackle a complex pillar build! You make it look easy / like a seasoned pro! And very cool that you are doing some testing throughout the build. Based how the Yaris turned out with the cool things you did in that car, I’m expecting wonderful things in this vehicle. I’d love to hear it some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

21 - 40 of 140 Posts