Registered
739 Posts
This is AWESOME!!!!

Reactions: AudioGal

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Fantastic job! I applaud your willingness to jump right in and tackle a complex pillar build! You make it look easy / like a seasoned pro! And very cool that you are doing some testing throughout the build. Based how the Yaris turned out with the cool things you did in that car, I’m expecting wonderful things in this vehicle. I’d love to hear it some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you @bertholomey that is very kind of you and I appreciate the support. Ya I am trying to chase my crazy vison the best I can and i want to make sure that the I's are dotted and the T's are handled.

I would love to do a trip to the US sometime and meet up with some of the SQ folks down there. Maybe next year if things settle out and there is an event/ gathering in reasonable distance to Calgary AB.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
My Dream SQ platform vehicle...
haha funny you mention this, i picked the Venza because I liked the car and i knew it had great SQ bones in it, or I am hoping at least!!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
how do you all figure the Venza is good for SQ? What makes it good? Why so dreamy? Isn't it exactly the same as all other car interiors?

Like you know... kind of serious question. :)

Those pods look awwwesome, btw.

haha funny you mention this, i picked the Venza because I liked the car and i knew it had great SQ bones in it, or I am hoping at least!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
how do you all figure the Venza is good for SQ? What makes it good? Why so dreamy? Isn't it exactly the same as all other car interiors?

Same. Great build great car but I don’t understand the specific love for the Venza.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)

Thank you , It is a great question and thanks for asking, i cannot speak for others though.

reason 1 . I can or at the time was hoping to be able to place a 6.5" driver above the dash for the purpose of pulling 100hz above the dash. This accomplishes a lot SQ wise as the phase (dip in response) issue between 120 and 250 hz is eliminated. refer to my RTA captures and i am seeing about 90hz above the dash. The RTA graphs I have shown demonstrate this. This is with minimal EQ a couple of bands each side to somewhat flatten a couple of spots. no boosting and no specific driver matching eq. etc. literally a 10 minute tune to determine if I should keep going and press on or start over.

reason 2 - by having 100hz and above the dash the sound staging for depth, width and height is more consistent and solid. For example a cello or double bass stays put, has proper stage height, is is not pulled around the car as the musician plays the instrument.

reason 3 - the instruments and singers are largely handled by two drives and one cross over point meaning less chances of distortion through the most critical freqs. our ears are sensitive to so the continuity of the instruments and singers again is more solid, vivid and realistic.

reason 4 - the acoustic center of the drivers are maintained through all cross over points meaning the drivers will act as a single driver across their pass bands

reason 5 - I am able to maintain vertical alignment and on axis aiming of the drivers which is important to me and the geometry of the time alignment will be maintained as i shift my head back and forth so the sound stage imaging will be solid and stable. aka less chance of comb filtering in the horizontal axis. My initial test bumps with music has been wonderful. I have heard sound stage separation of instruments that i have not heard before and even delineation of instruments in mix so to speak.

reason 6 - because the pillars can play low the integration to the mid-bass is easy and less problematic no weird stuff to compensate for.

Reason 7 - i can put 6.5 in the pillar without impacting driver visibility almost no other cars can manage this. refer to my pictures. The pillar is wide and the dash is curved in all the right spots.

reason 8 - the Venza windshield is deep so the depth allowed in the stage from front of field is really good.

Reason 9 - the Venza has a good width dash so the geometric resolution of the horizontal stage width is really good with many points of degrees between each left and right speaker and center of stage.

That is some of the reasons

The Venza has a unique pillar and dash arrangement and that is why i selected it and say it has good SQ bones at least for me and depending on what your requirments are (what you want) you may disagree totally.

reason 10 - for free lol .. i can mount sealed MB enclosures for my 8' in the door and maintain vertical alignment for sq and staging plus it will extend the response down to 40hz which is my other goal. all without incurring vibrations and door distortions as I proved to myself in my Yaris.

The drawback is a lot of people do not want a 6.5 on the dash because of looks and stealth considerations or they just cannot fit that size of driver no matter what. That is perfectly valid but it is not my design consideration or acoustic goal to limit that part.

So that is my thoughts and as with most things somethings work and something's do not, so far so good 😀

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
sooo.... deep dash ;) :D

you got 6.5" woofer + tweeter in the dash, that super impressive. i really like the wood construction of those pods, grade A.
haha yes i sure did and thanks you very much for the compliment 😀

curved deep dash and wide pillars !

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Great start! I suppose equipment choice is your reason for going with 6.5" mids instead of 5.25" ones?

Reactions: AudioGal

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Great start! I suppose equipment choice is your reason for going with 6.5" mids instead of 5.25" ones?
Thanks😁

Yes sort of. I figured i had the room (dimensions) for the 6.5 and i wanted to get 90-100Hz above the dash with out strain so…… i went for it! Also there was not a 5.25 driver that interested me.

A 5.25 would have made the install much easier though that’s for sure, lol!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
To add …. i would have always wondered about the 6.5 if i went to a smaller driver …. that sort of nagging thing that sits and bugs ya, type of thing 😂

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
That 6,5" looks impressive on the pillar. I never did biger than 5" and even that was BIG, even my latest pillars for 4" arent on small side,.....Im surprised that view in the road is not blocked as much as I thought it would be.
What is the plan for midbass? enclosure build or IB?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
That 6,5" looks impressive on the pillar. I never did biger than 5" and even that was BIG, even my latest pillars for 4" arent on small side,.....Im surprised that view in the road is not blocked as much as I thought it would be.
What is the plan for midbass? enclosure build or IB?
lol, ya it fits in their beautifully. Basically, almost no loss of visibility and way less then every other pillar build i have had the pleasure of seeing in person. The sheer ease, openness and palatability of the music presentation in the testing sessions has been wonderful! The dynamics come for free :p

I am planning a full sealed enclosure on the doors again. I am not quite into cutting the metal aspects of the car yet, floors or what not. Audiotec Fisher spec the ML8 for sealed only so that is what i am going to do. I really liked the ML8 in my previous build so hopefully is works well in this system to. I measured my mocked up enclosure frame last night and it landed at about 17L empty and the ML8 is spec'd for 15l so am going to be right in the sweet spot. I should have some pic's to share by the end of the weekend.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Those Brax 8" midbass is a beast. This will be one hell of a system when finished! Good luck with the project!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Those Brax 8" midbass is a beast. This will be one hell of a system when finished! Good luck with the project!
They sure are. Very musical and they can really do dynamics and extension well. Far beyond a 6.5 in every way for the lower part of the MB passband.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Okay, i have put a good dent in the midbass build.

Starting to figure out what i can and cannot do, and i made a template i can index to existing holes that are on the panel and in the door.

This is a spare door card that i will have to paint to match my black interior . I will do the painting of the pillars, door enclosures and door at the same time when i have them all completed buildwise

Hood Motor vehicle Naval architecture Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive tire Automotive exterior

41 - 60 of 143 Posts