DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
81 - 100 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
The PS sounds jigsaw technique? Or did he get it from somewhere?
oh i have used this technique in my first buld ( yaris) for the pods a few years a go and for other projects non car audio. It has been around a while and i never called it jigsaw just block and shaping :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 · (Edited)
Looking decent on the new build, I’d definitely get the midbass out of the doors!

Your passenger side mid will likely be ok due to the length of the car pushing it’s first big dip lower with it being an estate car, in my corsa which is a touch bigger than the Yaris it is at 110hz ish

I like the pillars, and yes they look big… but in reality they are the same sort of shape as mine so from the drivers seat they only block the stupid side window that’s pointless…

I can recommend going for a smaller driver to get a more articulate upper midrange, I have the satori mw13p-4 and also a set of mr13p-4 in mine currently in a layout in the picture which is a test, I gave approx 5 liters sealed in the enclosure which is a very low Q but allows me to have my ‘reflection free’ dash top

pushing the drivers up the a pillar gets a wider stage and arranging the drivers as I have them further stabilises the ta as the centres are even closer together which as you pointed out makes small movements of the head even less noticeable than when drivers are in a vertical array

I like the way you think, you’re like a female me 😂
Hey dumdum good to hear from you. I thought you had your front dash built by now 🤣 , is this stuff ever really done!!

With the top stage playing down to 90hz i do not have to worry much about that midbass issue above 100hz, One of the reasons i did what i did. The rta and listening tests have been super positive. solid down to 90hz.

Vertical alignment is a key design criteria at least for me and what i want and the benefits are plentiful.

The very best speakers in the world use on axis 6-7" midranges and they do very well. My initial listening tests have been super positive with all aspects of SQ with the current arrangement. I cannot wait to get the midbass ( really 8" front sub stage) as they are playing 90-95 down to 40Hz or so, up and running with the front stage.

we need to get our cars together some how and talk trash and shop, that would be fun!!!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Hey dumdum good to hear from you. I thought you had your front dash built by now 🤣 , is this stuff ever really done!!

With the top stage playing down to 90hz i do not have to worry much about that midbass issue above 100hz, One of the reasons i did what i did. The rta and listening tests have been super positive. solid down to 90hz.

Vertical alignment is a key design criteria at least for my and what i want and the benefits are plentiful.

The very best speakers in the world use on axis 6-7" midranges and they do very well. My initial listening tests have been super positive with all aspects of SQ with the current arrangement. I cannot wait to get the midbass ( really 8" front sub stage) up and running as they are playing 90-95 down to 40Hz or so. up and running with the front stage.

we need to get our cars together some how and talk trash and shop, that would be fun!!!
I will likely be coming to see blockrocker at some point, he’s in Alberta I think… not sure about the car coming with me… carry on is perhaps a little ott for a car 😂

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I will likely be coming to see blockrocker at some point, he’s in Alberta I think… not sure about the car coming with me… carry on is perhaps a little ott for a car 😂
nice, he is like a 1 minute drive from my house, If you firm things up we could arrange meet if/when you come over.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Test fit on the door worked out pretty good. Minimal gaps and the door card(panel) sits nicely on the door no binding or anything. This is the part i dislike the most cutting and fitting the door card. Went smoother than the yaris by far . Now on to the second side in the next day. or so.

The door card will need to be painted and finished up to match the car and the hole in the box will be filled with a cylinder to provide more enclosure volume. The cylinders are already made. Once the door cards are cut i can finish final assembly of the enclosures and then finish the fitment and shaping to the door cards. Almost there and then on to the amp rack and the electrical install!

Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Trunk

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Im not a fan of jig saw puzzles,... it is hard to pull some nice design when finishing them, especially with A-pillars.

Totally agree on vertical driver placement... better focuses, better imaging/staging. When I fabed my pillars, going with vertical arrangement was not an option due to tweeter size.
Tweeter should not be furthe raway from mid than 1/4 of wave lenght of x-over point between themid/tweeter combo

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ive never been lucky enough to meet an audio gal.
Im not a fan of jig saw puzzles,... it is hard to pull some nice design when finishing them, especially with A-pillars.

Totally agree on vertical driver placement... better focuses, better imaging/staging. When I fabed my pillars, going with vertical arrangement was not an option due to tweeter size.
Tweeter should not be furthe raway from mid than 1/4 of wave lenght of x-over point between themid/tweeter combo
You do have a fluid, contoured-design style though which I fully appreciate. But for uniformity/symmetry and maximising internal volume it pretty impressive.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·

Ya I would say it may be harder but not impossible it depends on the design I suppose.

With vertical alignment the geometry (ratio) of the TA for all the speakers stays the same in the horizontal axis which is very beneficial.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Are you doing anything 'special' with door treatment?
Yes i will still treat the doors. Finding acoustic car treatments in Canada at a reasonable cost is not easy these days. The price is horrendous to say the least. I will probably piece meal it by dampening the outer and inner door skins a bit at a time. Since the speaker is not exciting the door or transmitting back wave into the door it definitely helps a lot and is not immediately necessary.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Okay, i held my breath and i cut the drivers side door panel last night to fit the enclosure. The most stressful part of the build is done, thank goodness !!

Now on to the easy parts 😎

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Trunk Automotive design

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Damm … this is looking great . I went simple with my venza . (And cheap)
Nice, ya i tend to go off the deep end sometimes, no doubt about that. However in all fairness the costs have been mostly my time and some materials. I have all my gear from the previous build. I do not swap gear out as a hobby i like focusing on the install and tuning for the most part. There is no way I could afford to pay someone to build it, so we roll up our sleeves and see what we can do!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Okay a bit more progress on the insanity.

Coated the inside with some milkshake mixture and did some gluing of the basic pieces.

Wood Automotive tire Gas Font City

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Tops glued on with polyurethane and air nailed 😁

But not trimmed or shaped

Automotive tire Wood Asphalt Synthetic rubber Road surface

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
The one pic skews how much the 8” intrudes. Which is not that much so i will put up a better pic for those that may be curious.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Speedometer Automotive tire

81 - 100 of 143 Posts