DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 2016 WRX and I have been out of the car audio industry for several years now. I am looking at upgrading the factory system, while retaining the OEM head-unit. The biggest problem with the system is the lack of power/volume, and secondly the non-existent bass. I want to keep everything as small and hidden as possible. I am not up to date on all of the latest gear so I was hoping to get some input from you guys. I was thinking along the lines of of either Rockford Fosgate PM100X1 freeload amps when they come out, or a PBR300X.4 under the front passenger seat. I had considered teh factory Kicker subwoofer upgrade, but I have a feeling I won't be satisfied with its output or sound quality. As far as upgrading speakers or adding a DSP I'm not sure if either would be entirely necessary to achieve what I'm looking for. If I could fit two mini amps or a 5-channel amp under the passenger seat with a small DSP that would be ideal. I may possibly have to make a flush subwoofer enclosure as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Fellow WRX owner. You can check my build log from SiS in my signature. Personally I would stay away from RF amps. I didn't have the same ones you mentioned, but I had issues with mine running extremely hot. My sub amp would always shut off after 30-45 minutes of listening. I've had zero issues with my Mosconis. I've cranked on them on 4+ hour drives without them ever giving me any issues.

Here's a prebuilt box that may work for you:
https://store.audiodesignscg.com/product/wrx-subwoofer-box-driver/

*edit: not sure why my sig is not showing up. Here's the link: Pico WRX

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fellow WRX owner. You can check my build log from SiS in my signature. Personally I would stay away from RF amps. I didn't have the same ones you mentioned, but I had issues with mine running extremely hot. My sub amp would always shut off after 30-45 minutes of listening. I've had zero issues with my Mosconis. I've cranked on them on 4+ hour drives without them ever giving me any issues.

Here's a prebuilt box that may work for you:
https://store.audiodesignscg.com/product/wrx-subwoofer-box-driver/

*edit: not sure why my sig is not showing up. Here's the link: Pico WRX
I did look at your post, those amps look pretty pricey for the amount I would need. I could swing the price of one Mosconi for a four channel amp. I also came across the same enclosure and didn't think it was too bad either for a basic setup and what I'm trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did look at your post, those amps look pretty pricey for the amount I would need. I could swing the price of one Mosconi for a four channel amp. I also came across the same enclosure and didn't think it was too bad either for a basic setup and what I'm trying to accomplish.
They are pricey, but I didn't pay anywhere near retail. MSRP on the Pico 2 is the same as the PM100x1 that you mentioned. What's your budget? You could easily fit an arc 1100.5, 1200.6, or alpine pdx-v9 under the seat.

There's this in the classifieds that you could run your whole system with:
Mosconi D2 80.6 DSP RCD

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are pricey, but I didn't pay anywhere near retail. MSRP on the Pico 2 is the same as the PM100x1 that you mentioned. What's your budget? You could easily fit an arc 1100.5, 1200.6, or alpine pdx-v9 under the seat.

There's this in the classifieds that you could run your whole system with:
Mosconi D2 80.6 DSP RCD
That Mosconi piece would be really nice other than the sub channel is only about 200W (I think I would want at least 300W). Honestly I never considered an Alpine, but the PDX-V9 has the small size, big power and low price. i could even do this now and add the sub later and possibly a DSP. The factory headunit does have basic time alignment settings already.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an 2016 STI that I have been upgrading. I had an older Alpine 5 channel amp that went under the drivers seat. That fits well - I replaced the front speakers with NVX component set. I also sound deadened all the doors - these cars are pretty noisy and I think that was well worth it. I have kept the factory HU. Very happy with the results so far - clean and hard hitting. Would like to add an DSP at some point but good source material sounds great as it is.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
^^^. Any photos that you are willing to share ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
^^^. Any photos that you are willing to share ?
I should have taken more as I was going along - here is the car, the door with just the cld applied - I also put a layer of mlv & ccf between the door and door panel. And the tweeter bracket. The nice thing is the car looks stock - you cant see anything different but it sure sounds different!

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
That sub enclosure in the corner of the trunk looks nice - I looked into a couple of those. I bought a oem Subaru kicker sub from a crosstrek (cheap from craigslist) hoping it would fit but its too big to tuck in the spot. I was also looking into under seat options because my wife didn't want a sub in the trunk. I was able to talk her into putting a 10' JL in a wedge box in the trunk saying its easy enough to take out when needed - so I have that in there now.

Honestly I have the sub turned off most of the time, the 6.5" NVX's pound pretty good - I think the sound deadening is helping with that. I don't play much thumping music - I played The Chain by Fleetwood mac cranked up for my wife and she loved it - very crisp, clean and all the bass I need for now

Anyway I think you want to change the oem speakers out if you want good sound - the amp will help but the stock speakers are not very good - they will distort pretty quick. You can get a good component set without spending a ton of money. I don't think you have to go too nuts on the amp either

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I talked to one of former coworkers last night to see what kind of equipment I could have access to now, and I am leaning towards an Audison AP8.9 bit with a DRC remote. When i worked there a few years back we were mainly a Rockford dealer, but now they are carrying Audison, Hertz and Sundown to name a few. They have the tuning software and RTA microphone to adjust everything correctly, and will also allow me to go full active on the crossovers. If my former employee discount isn't good enough than I'll go back to Alpine PDX-V9 as a back-up. The next step will be to select new dash speakers/tweeters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would any you guys know if there is enough room to fit the dynaudio esotar 650 on the door of a Wrx? Just purchased a 2017 model and want to put together sq build using esotar 650, 430, and 110 on front stage.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There's more than enough room. I have Audiofrog GB60 in mine with blackhole tiles on the outer door skin behind the GB60, and there's still room to spare.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm running the 650s in my 15 limited. There's more than enough room for them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts