DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Super pumped about how well the tweeters fit in the factory sail!

Old vs. New

Headliner down, S2k helper
Really hurt my soul seeing this thing ripped apart

Wires ran

·
Registered
295 Posts
That's kind of funny - the thing that prompted me to sell the S2000 I had was when I realized it had gotten to where I was mostly using it as a garage shelf :)

What's it like taking that headliner out? I've never really understood what holds it up and would be afraid of not being able to get it to stay up properly once I put it back in. Also, does it seem fragile?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That's kind of funny - the thing that prompted me to sell the S2000 I had was when I realized it had gotten to where I was mostly using it as a garage shelf :)

What's it like taking that headliner out? I've never really understood what holds it up and would be afraid of not being able to get it to stay up properly once I put it back in. Also, does it seem fragile?
It’s definitely not my favorite thing to do. The headliner is mostly just held up by all the plastic surrounding it. There are also two clips in the rear.

You basically just remove the dome light and reader light assemblies, the visors, and the oh shit bars. Once all the panels beneath it are gone and you pull back the weather stripping it’s free. This one had wires taped to the top of it, didn’t love that.

I was mainly afraid of how much I had to bend it to pull it out of the rear. Didn’t want a permanent crease in the thing. It went back in good, but I am having some trouble getting one of the hooks that the visor snaps into clipped back in properly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Couple things I'm thinking about moving forward...

First, adding some caps to the tweets. I bought a kit from Amazon and am planning on adding a 47uf 50v cap to each which should cut off frequencies below 845Hz by my calculation. I plan to actively cross them at 1.8kHz with a steep slope. These are more expensive than the host of ~$20 ones I've popped in the past and really don't want to repeat that. I read somewhere that 50v capacitors are good up to 70w rms, hopefully that'll still be ok for 85w rms? Idk, I've been doing plenty of reading on the matter but I'm not coming up with much. Hoping someone could chime in.

Second, I see that a lot of people here send shit loads of power to their mid woofers. I have the ability with the AP F8.9 to send 260w rms to each woofer. I guess my question is, is there any reason that I should or shouldn't? I'm not 100% sure about the power handling as it's a component set. The set is good for 150w rms so I'm thinking the woofer could safely handle most of that. Otherwise they'd receive 85w which is maybe too little? Obviously I can control the level but, 260w just seems like a lot.

I'm stepping up quite a bit component wise at least for me and just want to take every precaution not to damage anything.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Alright, got some more done today. Finished the deadening and sealing of the doors. I used a tin baking sheet and doubled it up with some kilmat for the big holes, it was SUPER solid, felt damn near like sheet metal lol.

Made rough templates about like this and rolled CLD onto it. I honestly hate this part, I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing.

Kilmat around the face of the baffle, behind, and on the sides. CCF ring on front. Still cheap an kinda wack but damn solid I promise. Added egg-crate foam behind and the smaller ring from that kit we all know of.

Front ring from said kit. Worth using or not idk, went with it.

Passenger side all buttoned up

Terminated the hot wires in the bay. Not as clean as it could've been but it'll do the job. Not sure if it was the best or worst idea but I decided on doing an 8ga run and a separate 4ga run. The amps are mounted in different locations and getting larger power wires through the firewall would have been a nightmare. I actually had to buy a right angle drill and make a hole for the 4ga (grommeted ofc).

I found out as I was doing some double checking on adding caps to tweets that I bought the wrong type, the polarized variety. So I refrained from wiring the tweets today and have the right ones on their way from parts express. Really don't want to pop these.

I fired up the car and hoped the AP F8.9 would fire up as promised with the speaker level inputs and it did. Solid blue light, good news. Went through the configuration wizard and played some test tracks. Still not quite sure about the results, Idk if just the left and right mid level inputs will suffice at this point or not. Need to do a little research and get all my drivers hooked up.

More to come =D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So I connected the mid woofers and sub and decided to play some songs, still left the tweets out as I have no caps in place yet. Initial Impressions were pretty good. I played with the gain settings in the software at 38/40 volume. The software shows when the signal is clipped so I felt pretty good about where they were set. Even with the gain all the way down on the sub amp the sub output was impressive, mainly left that alone.

As I'm just going through some songs the output just stopped. I looked at the AP F8.9 and it was off. I thought, huh, that's weird. So I cycled power on the car, the unit comes on with a blue light, but there's no output anymore. After a little while it will shut off, and restart. I fear disaster has struck and something's wrong with it. I submitted a help form with Audison but other than that I have no idea what to do. :cry:

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
could be low voltage ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So I'm fairly certain this $1300 amp is dead. I'm absolutely clueless as to what could have happened. My power and ground connections are solid, no voltage drop to the amp, no shorts of any kind anywhere including input and output channels. I followed the setup instructions per the manual to a T. The Audison rep told me they won't warranty it as I purchased it through a 3rd party seller on Amazon (they claim to be an authorized retailer though). The only thing that makes sense to me is there was a defective component in the amp somewhere. I'm currently sending the amp seller and hoping for a refund or replacement. I'm absolutely screwed if they deny it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Poor

Poor S2000. Using it as a shelf.
Poor car. Brings tears to my eyes. ? I had 2 of them. I was 1 of the very first people to have 1 in the northeast in late 1999. It was crazy.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts