DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this truck a few months ago and have been collecting/trading/selling gear. A few weeks ago the day finally came for me to drop it off at Mobile Audio Plus in Bloomington IL. It's about 1000 mile drive round but I really wanted Toby to do this install and Benny Z to tune. I pretty much gave Toby a budget and a few random ideas let him decide the rest. I think I sent him one picture of a pillar build Skizer built that I really liked. Toby seemed up to the challenge.

Gear list
NavTV GM650 - run analog to P6
Helix P6 MKII
ARC SE 2300
Brax ML1
Dynaudio e430
Audiofrog gs6x9
2 Illusion Audio C10s

Sub enclosure is from MTI Acoustics in Texas

I thought I gave them enough deadner for the whole vehicle but they ran out before they were even done with the doors. Lol! The are very solid inside and out!

Rear wall go the same treatment. They used some Soundskin and Roadkill since I was out of Secondskin.

There a few pics of sealing off the right vent.

Perfect cut out of the rear wall.

Wiring is very clean

Now to pillars! Toby and Ben discussed aiming and the finished product turn out better than I ever imagined

In the end, Toby and Ben blew me away with the install and final tune. When I picked it up I was honestly shocked at how well it turned out. It didn't seem real that I get to listen to this thing everyday. I've had it for a little over a week and I've been spending as much time as can enjoying it. I order music from Audionuts a while back and have been playing thru all of it with a big smile on my face and goosebumps running wild. I haven't been in a lot of vehicles to compare how it sounds but for a mid size truck the imaging/staging really caught me off guard. Compared to my old truck it's just a different animal. What I thought was pretty good wasn't even close. It's much more of a 3D image than before with more depth.

Oh, Toby also ran a usb cable from the P6 to my center console for easy of tuning which was a great addition. I requested an optical to the same place in case I add an external player down the road. I should be go to go for quite some time now!

If anybody lives near these guys and needs a tune or install I'd definitely reach out to them. Thanks for looking! If want to see any specific pics let me know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That looks like a high quality install. I also have a ‘17 GMC Canyon. How did they manage to get two 10” subs under the seat? Do you know what the final volume of your box was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice pillars!
Thanks! Toby did a great job getting they speakers as wide as possible but still on axis. I thought for sure my defrost vents would be covered but he was able to keep them usable. I didn’t want to tweeter in the little plastic sails on the doors but he was able to build off the a pillars and locate them there basically. It’s nice being able to open my door and the tweeter stays in place.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks like a high quality install. I also have a ‘17 GMC Canyon. How did they manage to get two 10” subs under the seat? Do you know what the final volume of your box was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Illusion C10s are very shallow. There isn’t a lot of room under there! I believe each sub has around .45 - .5 for space. They require more and the 25hz and 31.5hz is bumped up in the tune to help out with it a bit. A little sacrifice had to made in that department but not much.

MTI Acoustics modeled the sub box off a Colorado and it turned out the seats are a little different in the Canyon to it doesn’t quite fit perfectly. The seats still lock when you put them down but the enclosure has to stick out the front a little to do it. They offered to build another to fit better but I was worried about losing more air space so I told them it was fine. My kid doesn’t seem to care so far. It’s a very solid enclosure and built to last.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Wow it’s great to read about someone being extremely happy with their install. Props to those two gentlemen involved in getting this done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Toby crushed those pillars. Very impressed when Benny Z showed me a pic last week. Hope you enjoy!
Absolutely! I should probably take a few more pics of them from different angles and in different light. With the door open the backs of the tweeters even look good.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks great! How are you liking the gs6x9's??
clean install
Hey! So far I think I made the right choice! If I had more funds and space for another amp I might’ve tried something like your set up for my doors. Jerry sent me pics a while back of your doors and wow they turned out nice! You should put up a build log or at least some final door pics of the Raptor!

If you ever want to hear it let me know. I can run over there some time.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Somehow I missed your thread before, but I finally found it! The truck turned out amazing and sounds absolutely fantastic. I heard you basically swept the SQOLOGY event with it this past weekend. Both judges agreed it was the best sounding vehicle at the show - and I didn’t give them any heads-up that Toby and I were involved with it. Glad they agreed it was top notch!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Somehow I missed your thread before, but I finally found it! The truck turned out amazing and sounds absolutely fantastic. I heard you basically swept the SQOLOGY event with it this past weekend. Both judges agreed it was the best sounding vehicle at the show - and I didn’t give them any heads-up that Toby and I were involved with it. Glad they agreed it was top notch!
I really wasn’t expecting the awards. I knew it sounded good to me but was prepared for a whoopin. When I first picked it up after the install and tune by you and Toby it blew my mind. My bar was pretty high and it went way beyond that. I can’t thank you guys enough.

My goals for the event were to gain the experience of how an event works, meet some great people, and hear some other rides. I can check all those off. There was a good variety of gear there that I always wanted to see/listen to in person. Even a Revelation Audio amp!

After hearing from other people about their experiences at events I wasn’t really sure what to expect. This event was run really well and I never felt like I didn’t fit in or anything. Lots of laughs and knowledge gained!

I’m trying to figure out if there is a way to drum up some interest in SQ in my area to grow the numbers. How have any of you approached it? Maybe I should start a new thread for that.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would you mind posting a few more pics of the MTI sub enclosure, so we can see how it fits?

Matt
There is a story about the enclosure. I waited until the day before I headed to Bloomington to check fitting. MTI modeled the enclosure off a Colorado which you’d think would be exactly the same. Turns out the undersides of the seats are slightly different or they had to make the box slightly deeper to get the C10s to fit. If I push the enclosure all the back to the “bump” it should rest against the seats can’t come all the way down. This is why in the picture it sticks out a bit in the front. I contacted MTI about it and Mr Pate called me right away and offered to build another box so it fit perfectly. He was really cool about. My dilemma was timing and taking it up for the install and tuning by Ben. I chose to leave it be out of fear it would mess with the tune when I got the different enclosure. It only sticks out about an inch and my 7 year hasn’t complained about it yet.

I see lots of threads right now on tuning and I absolutely feel the pain and struggles. I bet I spent 100s of hours tuning my last truck and never got it sounding great. I could get it to sound ok. Seriously me tuning is like Curly from the 3 Stooges fighting with the clam soup. I diddle around with the tune and fights back at me. I poke my laptop in the eyes, give it a slap, bark at it a few times and then run in circles on the floor to release frustration. Yuck yuck. This summer has been tune stress free and I spent more time fishing than I have the past few years.

I do plan to try and mess around this fall and winter though with tuning attempts. There is always hope I’ll accidentally figure it out. Honestly though, the judges gave me some great feedback for improvements. I’m 0-5 in attempts at the suggested changes. Maybe .5-5 because I might’ve accidentally made a small improvement.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I had the pleasure of sitting in this truck and getting a demo at the Bloomington event.It sounds amazing and looks super sleek!! I could not believe where the subs were,totally hidden under the rear seats.Way too cool man!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts