DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to install aftermarket amplifiers in my Terrain. I have never been so aggravated trying to install a system. It seems they have created harnesses and plugs for every other GMC or Chevy model except this one. I have been researching for months with no luck. My truck has the 7" screen which controls the rear speakers, and the factory amplifier controls the front speakers. So running my 4channel amplifier to my factory harness to power the door speakers looks impossible. I have bought a full setup for this truck and can't install it without splicing and splitting wires or losing retention on certain functions. It's a nightmare I like the truck but hate the fact that it's so difficult to beautify the sound system to my liking. The only thing that I have done is upgrade my door speakers with Orion XTR's.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cant you just cut the speaker wires coming out from the head unit, run a left/right pair to a dayton dsp->amp->back up to head unit spliced in to the other end of the speaker wires that go to the speakers?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cant you just cut the speaker wires coming out from the head unit, run a left/right pair to a dayton dsp->amp->back up to head unit spliced in to the other end of the speaker wires that go to the speakers?
That's what I'm trying to avoid is cutting wires it voids the warranty on the truck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's what I'm trying to avoid is cutting wires it voids the warranty on the truck.
Only if they can provide a logical explanation as to how splicing in to the speaker wires would damage a specific component. I have a 2018 F150. Cut mine, spliced in new wires. There is nothing in the truck that is factory that will be connected to those wires except the head unit if you keep that stock.

The GMC forums will be your best bet for info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GM Forums don't help at all. The closest thing I found to plug-n-play is at LLJ Customs.
LLJ Customs Car Audio Fabrication L.L.C

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only if they can provide a logical explanation as to how splicing in to the speaker wires would damage a specific component. I have a 2018 F150. Cut mine, spliced in new wires. There is nothing in the truck that is factory that will be connected to those wires except the head unit if you keep that stock.

The GMC forums will be your best bet for info.
GM Forums don't help at all. The closest thing I found to plug-n-play is at LLJ Customs.
LLJ Customs Car Audio Fabrication L.L.C

·
Registered
249 Posts
When you dig into the radio/display, what kind of plugs are there? I didn't see the 2017 Terrain on the PAC AP4 GM61 application list, but might be worth a shot to reach out to them and ask.

At the very least, I believe what most do is try to intercept the stock speaker level signal and get it into a DSP with input processing capabilities.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Also, do a search on LLJ Customs, there are a few well documented threads here (and possibly other forums) on some poor customer service. Not sure if it's gotten better since then, but probably best to buy with caution.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you dig into the radio/display, what kind of plugs are there? I didn't see the 2017 Terrain on the PAC AP4 GM61 application list, but might be worth a shot to reach out to them and ask.

At the very least, I believe what most do is try to intercept the stock speaker level signal and get it into a DSP with input processing capabilities.
That’s what I plan on doing I have an Audio Control DQ-61 Sound Processor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, do a search on LLJ Customs, there are a few well documented threads here (and possibly other forums) on some poor customer service. Not sure if it's gotten better since then, but probably best to buy with caution.
Thank you sir I appreciate it, have you ever purchased anything from them?

·
Registered
249 Posts
And again, would be interested to see what kind of plugs are on your radio. I was able to use a few Metra harnesses to create my own that would allow me to feed amplified speaker outputs back into the OEM speaker wiring, the same could be done in reverse to get the speaker outputs from your stock radio if you can get a hold of the right connectors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And again, would be interested to see what kind of plugs are on your radio. I was able to use a few Metra harnesses to create my own that would allow me to feed amplified speaker outputs back into the OEM speaker wiring, the same could be done in reverse to get the speaker outputs from your stock radio if you can get a hold of the right connectors.
I’m going to go in and see how the connectors look behind the radio. I was also told via email from LLJ Customs that GM does not split the signal, that it goes through the amplifier or the head unit not through both. May I ask what kind of truck you have?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ah, yea, I wasn't considering that you likely have a factory amplifier in your GMC. My truck is a 2017 Silverado (non-Bose) with the 8" IO5 radio. I got lucky in that I had access to all the signal up front behind the screen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah, yea, I wasn't considering that you likely have a factory amplifier in your GMC. My truck is a 2017 Silverado (non-Bose) with the 8" IO5 radio. I got lucky in that I had access to all the signal up front behind the screen.
Yes when I unplug the amplifier plugs the front speakers don’t play but the rear speakers still play.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts