DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting a budget SQ build on Sunday. Installing Focal ISS165's to replace the front and rear Honda door speakers and tweeters. The first step is that we're going to strip the car down to the frame and completely install Second Skin's Damplifier Pro from the front firewall all the way to the back hatch door. Second, going to use Second Skin's luxury liner from the front firewall to the back hatch floor to block as much noise as possible. Will also be damping the roof as well and all of the pillars. I ordered the whole car kit from Second Skin and conservatively it weighs 100 lbs for all 3 boxes. I'm also installing the Cerwin Vega spare tire 12" sub in the rear spare tire well. We'll get the signal off the factory headunit using AudioControl's LC2-i and run a bass knob discretely to the front driver's safety controls just by the driver's side door. Second Skin was also kind enough to expedite some butyl rope for tricky areas, some speaker tweakers to handle the backwaves from the inside door skins, and some closed cell foam with sticky backing to cover the panels in all of the appropriate places. Around the speakers, we're using the foam speaker 2-piece enhancers around the front of the cone to drive all sound into cabin and float the speakers on the door with a tight but decoupled seal to allow proper speaker response.

For wiring, we are using Stinger pro series. The main thing in this budget install is that we intend to significantly drop the noise floor to somewhere around the level of a Lexus sedan. I already purchased and installed Oahtsu tires to reduce road noise by 2 Dbs over the factory junk tires. This will all be done on Sunday with the help of 3 installers.

In the future, I'm trying to decide on some forever drivers and amps for the front stage. Under consideration, I'm debating so far the Audison AP4.9 or the AudioControl D-6.1200 to take the system fully active. I like Mosconi and Rainbow as well, but I'm space conscious and this vehicle actively sees time doing light off-road and camping scenarios. As far as highend drivers, I still enjoy ScanSpeak drivers and Seas tweeters, but I have heard great things about AudioFrog, but I've much more of a fan of the Morel Supremo and that series due to the upfront bass those speakers can provide. Are there other amplifier or speaker companies that I should be considering? I've been out of the car audio scene since I last did a series of Toyota trucks back in early to mid-2000.

As the install gets performed over the weekend, I will update with pictures.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Starting a budget SQ build on Sunday. Installing Focal ISS165's to replace the front and rear Honda door speakers and tweeters. The first step is that we're going to strip the car down to the frame and completely install Second Skin's Damplifier Pro from the front firewall all the way to the back hatch door. Second, going to use Second Skin's luxury liner from the front firewall to the back hatch floor to block as much noise as possible. Will also be damping the roof as well and all of the pillars. I ordered the whole car kit from Second Skin and conservatively it weighs 100 lbs for all 3 boxes. I'm also installing the Cerwin Vega spare tire 12" sub in the rear spare tire well. We'll get the signal off the factory headunit using AudioControl's LC2-i and run a bass knob discretely to the front driver's safety controls just by the driver's side door. Second Skin was also kind enough to expedite some butyl rope for tricky areas, some speaker tweakers to handle the backwaves from the inside door skins, and some closed cell foam with sticky backing to cover the panels in all of the appropriate places. Around the speakers, we're using the foam speaker 2-piece enhancers around the front of the cone to drive all sound into cabin and float the speakers on the door with a tight but decoupled seal to allow proper speaker response.

For wiring, we are using Stinger pro series. The main thing in this budget install is that we intend to significantly drop the noise floor to somewhere around the level of a Lexus sedan. I already purchased and installed Oahtsu tires to reduce road noise by 2 Dbs over the factory junk tires. This will all be done on Sunday with the help of 3 installers.

In the future, I'm trying to decide on some forever drivers and amps for the front stage. Under consideration, I'm debating so far the Audison AP4.9 or the AudioControl D-6.1200 to take the system fully active. I like Mosconi and Rainbow as well, but I'm space conscious and this vehicle actively sees time doing light off-road and camping scenarios. As far as highend drivers, I still enjoy ScanSpeak drivers and Seas tweeters, but I have heard great things about AudioFrog, but I've much more of a fan of the Morel Supremo and that series due to the upfront bass those speakers can provide. Are there other amplifier or speaker companies that I should be considering? I've been out of the car audio scene since I last did a series of Toyota trucks back in early to mid-2000.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
For amplifiers look at Mmats or if space is more priority over absolute SQ look at Biketronics (they're website is horrible so check their FB page as well.)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For amplifiers look at Mmats or if space is more priority over absolute SQ look at Biketronics (they're website is horrible so check their FB page as well.)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the assist. Mmats has some great looking gear. The build started early and continues afoot.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Got all of the Damp Pro on the body, floor and important nooks and crannies. Also got the Luxury Liner Pro down. That stuff is legit. The last bit will be just doing the doors and installing the Focals with speaker tweaker, foam rings and closed cell inside the door and on the panel trim to block out sound.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
877 Posts
I have a Honda SUV (different model than yours) and Focal's (different model than yours) powered by an Audison Amp (different model than you mention) and they are all great!

·
Human (not a robot)
2,451 Posts
I have a '17 as well. Its already a quiet car with the ANC. Are you going to disable that and use all this in place of it?
I gotta say this is.....a LOT.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a '17 as well. Its already a quiet car with the ANC. Are you going to disable that and use all this in place of it?
I gotta say this is.....a LOT.
Nope. We deadened the entire car from front to back and left the ANC running since the Focal ISS165 were running off factory amplifier power. The only thing added was the Cerwin Vega spare trunk sub and honestly it’s so heavily damped in the back, it reminds me of my Martin Logan sub in the house - very mellow and under control. Adds the right amount of augmentation to let you know it’s there but it doesn’t take over the center stage. For a budget system, it’s sounds pretty good and it does have a coffin effect when closing the doors. It’s almost eerily quiet to be honest. I might skip adding the sludge to the wheel wells because I do need some noise to have sense for the vehicle’s handling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts