DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still very much in the research phase, hence the lightweightedness of the question the follows.

Background:
  • I have never had a 3-way speaker system in a car and I would like to give it a try. This vehicle's front door has lower 6x9 woofers and upper-door tweeters. According to Crutchfield, tweeter should fit with little to no cutting/reshaping of the stock tweeter location, and the woofer would fit by using a 6x9 adapter plate.
  • I cannot find the cutout diameter of the Kappa 203S midrange, but the JBL Stadium 22S 2" midrange speakers appear to be identical and have a cutout diameter of 2 9/16"

The Question:
If I were to make my own 6x9 adapter plate, do you think the plate would have room for both the Infinity Kappa 503CF 5.25" woofer and the Kappa 203S 2" midrange?

Links:

·
Registered
927 Posts
I am still very much in the research phase, hence the lightweightedness of the question the follows.

Background:
  • I have never had a 3-way speaker system in a car and I would like to give it a try. This vehicle's front door has lower 6x9 woofers and upper-door tweeters. According to Crutchfield, tweeter should fit with little to no cutting/reshaping of the stock tweeter location, and the woofer would fit by using a 6x9 adapter plate.
  • I cannot find the cutout diameter of the Kappa 203S midrange, but the JBL Stadium 22S 2" midrange speakers appear to be identical and have a cutout diameter of 2 9/16"
View attachment 305112

The Question:
If I were to make my own 6x9 adapter plate, do you think the plate would have room for both the Infinity Kappa 503CF 5.25" woofer and the Kappa 203S 2" midrange?

Links:
One question I have is that where did you find that picture you posted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
Are you planning on running an amplifier? The mopar systems normally have 2ohm factory speakers, I was really disappointed when I swapped speakers with aftermarket ones. Especially in the mid bass, those front 6x9’s put out a surprising amount of bass

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Are you planning on running an amplifier? The mopar systems normally have 2ohm factory speakers, I was really disappointed when I swapped speakers with aftermarket ones. Especially in the mid bass, those front 6x9’s put out a surprising amount of bass
That's the real reason car audio is almost dead right now.
People swapping decent factory speakers that are really not that bad.
To basically a pawn shop coax with a brand printed on the sticker. Like hertz or jl.
Then when the guys pick the car up they all want to know where the bass is.

·
Registered
227 Posts
That's the real reason car audio is almost dead right now.
People swapping decent factory speakers that are really not that bad.
To basically a pawn shop coax with a brand printed on the sticker. Like hertz or jl.
Then when the guys pick the car up they all want to know where the bass is.
In my wife’s old 14 grand Cherokee with the alpine system was pretty bad so I tried a basic speaker swap and it wasn’t great. But since it was the wife’s car we didn’t really care. Her new Grand Cherokee with the Harmon Kardon System is actually fairly decent for a factory system, enough that it doesn’t need changed for her

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here are some tips:
  • Do not run 5.25" for midbass unless you plan on installing a front sub, not enough low end to blend with a sub in the rear
  • Heavily deaden the doors inside and out or the aftermarket speakers will cause unpleasant door rattle
  • Not all 6x9 will fit but Crutchfield does a great job of marking what will
  • Use an aftermarket amp to power the speakers
  • For 3 way, build pods on the dash or to replace the tweeter sails off axis
  • Midrange in the door will not give a good sound stage
What system do you have? 8.4 with stock 4 way? Alpine upgrade with 260 watt integrated amp? Harmon Karden with 540 watt and sub? These make a difference regarding aftermarket integration.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here is a conversation bracket from 6x9 to 5.25. I tried Alpine Type R 5.25 before swapping to Audiofrog GS690.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts