DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
You're right, irrelevant to my point, but that was my mistake.
Your point is correct. I have the same truck in regular cab. I tried the nz3, l2se, m40 and 2q in that area with no tweeter. It was nice but at the end of the day it needed a tweeter

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I hope they GS25's work, but I don't suspect they are going to be a very good replacement for a tweeter. Those 2.5" speakers are going to be beaming really early, around 5khz. Hopefully the windshield will help by acting a bit like a waveguide, but those GB25's will not do 20khz off axis.

The install is looking clean though!
Listening to them on the factory Bose sysyem is a BIG. The coworker is an older man and his hearing isnt the best anymore so anything over 10k is lost on him lol.
These GS25 do sound great, cant wait to put the little Kickey KEY180.4 on them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
So far the Audiofrog GS25, GS60 and GS62's are running in the factory Bose System until the Kicker KEY180.4 gets installed next week. (Bi Mode on the dash and front doors)
The GS25s in the dash is a big improvement over the factory. Much smoother and more detailed.
The GS60s sound cleaner and more clear but dont have the bottom end the factory 6x9s had, I expected that. And the GS62s are amazing, they sound SO much better than the factory. Actually sounds like some decent rear fill in the back now. We are going to keep the rear doors on the factory system... for now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Next to come will be the JL Audio center console Stealth box, and Kicker amps.
Going to TRY and get an RTA reading before and after the Kicker KEY. Really curious to see how it performs. 20191120_154306_1574286436110.jpg

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
A little update.
I've been driving this truck around with just the Audiofrog GS speakers running off the factory Bose system and I must say I'm extremely impressed.
The amount of clearty and detail these GS speakers reproduce is quite awesome. The sound stage naturally widened and has more depth than the Bose speakers ever produced. The GS62 really picked up the rear fill greatly.
I'm really looking forward to see what the kicker KEY will do.
This is quickly becoming one of my favorite for a this price point, it's a fraction of the cost of other builds.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok, so as the Kicker KEY was an inexpensive experiment, I temporarily, quickly set it up in the truck a few days ago to see what this thing was about.
Install was simple and set was quick and easy.
As getting the signal from the NAV-TV it would a good flat signal with factory settings corrected.
Now keep in mind the GS25s, GS60s and GS62s had been play off the factory Bose system and they sound much better then the Bose speakers.
The clarity and details were good and it widened the sound stage and gave it more depth.
Now, with the NAV-TV and KEY powering the Audiofrog speakers the sound was absolutely TERRIBLE! "This was before the KEY did its autotuning." The sound was horrible. With the KEY in BI amp mode powering the GS25s and GS60Ss, I faded the the OEM head unit to the front and set the KEY to do its autotune. As per the the Kicker manual, after the tune was done you then set the gains.... I know! But that's what Kicker says to do. Set the gains accordingly to the manufacturers instructions and started play my usual sound tracks.
The sound was damn good, the imaging was dead center (to the driver and not the dash) and the drivers sound stage was projected outside the drivers window. It sounded just a clean and clear as the Bose but with way more volume and a better center image. The midbass from these GS60s are eye opening.

Not for the hiccup... and it was what I though would be the issue. When you start to add in the rearfill, the front stages time delay becomes EXTREMELY apparent. The sound becomes an echo. So, with the Kicker KEY, it's great, if its powering the only set of speakers you plan on playing. But, adding in additional speakers is a no go. Next will be installing the sub and amp. Will be curious to see how this sounds.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Update.
We made a few changes to the system.
The kicker Key is a great piece for the price and what it does. As for blending in the rear fill, that was impossible, due to the add time delay the KEY amp adds when auto tuned.
So we pulled out the kicker amps and decided to go with a JL VX800/8I and a JL XD600/1. We kept the JL Stealth center console sub. We kept the Audiofrog GS25 in the dash, GS60 in the front door and the GS62 in the rear door.
And if you did the channel math, that leaves 2 unused channels.
So with 2 extra channels, we are looking to add a dedicated tweeter to the front. Unsure as to were, possibly the A-pillar or the dash near the GS25.
So now its decision time. Do we keep with the GS line and go GS10 or go with a GB10?

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Update.
We made a few changes to the system.
The kicker Key is a great piece for the price and what it does. As for blending in the rear fill, that was impossible, due to the add time delay the KEY amp adds when auto tuned.
So we pulled out the kicker amps and decided to go with a JL VX800/8I and a JL XD600/1. We kept the JL Stealth center console sub. We kept the Audiofrog GS25 in the dash, GS60 in the front door and the GS62 in the rear door.
And if you did the channel math, that leaves 2 unused channels.
So with 2 extra channels, we are looking to add a dedicated tweeter to the front. Unsure as to were, possibly the A-pillar or the dash near the GS25.
So now its decision time. Do we keep with the GS line and go GS10 or go with a GB10?
Gb10 of course but the gb10 is no slouch and like half the price

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Got the truck for a few days and added the GB10's and started to chase down a few center console rattles.
Who would have figured with a 10" sub in the console it would rattle lol.

After playing with the placement and listing to the GB10's in multiple locations, both on and off axis I found a spot that sounded great.
20200115_141254.jpg

Who knew that Focal KRX2 angle mounts would fit perfectly for the GB10's LOL
20200115_141418.jpg 20200115_141355.jpg

Started removing the center console to isolate the rattle. At lower volume the low frequencies sounds muddy and rattling, I would have bet my paycheck it was blown sub. Sounded like the voice coil was rubbing. But when I removed the sub I found the issue.
20200115_131147.jpg
The speaker grill!
I could have sworn I took it off befor I installed it, guess I didn't. I HATE these, they are always causing problems.
So I got the sub reinstalled and added some foam tape to the connectors and anywhere wire would come in contact with metal or plastic and added some sound deadening and acoustical foam.
20200115_121910.jpg 20200115_123357.jpg 20200115_123348.jpg 20200115_123430.jpg 20200115_124044.jpg 20200115_124147.jpg

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I thought of doing that same exact thing. I just couldn't get myself to buy jl. Let me know how it turns out. I might actually try it

Now that the rattles are gone it sounds great. It's not going to win any SLP competitions lol but you can definitely feel the bass. It has some authority to it for a sealed 10. You can feel it in your chest. Its SO nice having the sub up front. It truly makes a difference.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Got it all finished up, wires labeled to match the rest of the install and tuned. Blending these in was a breeze with minimal EQing and level matching.
20200116_112743.jpg 20200116_112903.jpg 20200116_112913.jpg 20200116_113159.jpg 20200116_113241.jpg

21 - 40 of 40 Posts