DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've decided I want to put a system in my truck after seeing a YT video of a guy putting 4 shallow 10's under the back seat of a F150. While doing some research I found this forum and thought I would see what you guys think and get some recommendations.

This is what I was thinking for everything...

Product Font Material property Electronic device Technology

I chose the Alpine receiver for the wireless Android Auto and I'm hoping there is a way around the parking brake restrictions on it. I chose the Kicker component sets for the RMS rating and overall good reviews. I still need to check the measurements under my rear seat to make sure the 4 10s will actually fit but I'm pretty sure they will.

I was curious if anybody would recommend swapping anything out. Also what do you guys recommend for sound dampening?

·
Registered
82 Posts
So I've decided I want to put a system in my truck after seeing a YT video of a guy putting 4 shallow 10's under the back seat of a F150. While doing some research I found this forum and thought I would see what you guys think and get some recommendations.

View attachment 355579

I chose the Alpine receiver for the wireless Android Auto and I'm hoping there is a way around the parking brake restrictions on it. I chose the Kicker component sets for the RMS rating and overall good reviews. I still need to check the measurements under my rear seat to make sure the 4 10s will actually fit but I'm pretty sure they will.

I was curious if anybody would recommend swapping anything out. Also what do you guys recommend for sound dampening?
The alpine radio should be fine and yes they sell a bypass module to get around the parking brake crutchfield should have it but Amazon will have it every day.

Ive never really been impressed with kicker and as such my experience with them is rather a decade outdated but you don't really need to worry about matching up rms ratings on component sets.

I don't have any recommendations in the sub $200 range myself hopefully others have recommendations. Personally I would ditch and have ditched the rear fill and bump the budget for the front speakers.

Cdt is having an awesome thanksgiving sale right now and their products are pretty good for the money and a regular basis so the sale makes them all the better.

4 10s under the seat to me seems less than ideal. That's at minimum 2cubic feat of airspace needed for sealed. I personally don't care for sealed and would recommend 2 8s ported in what would be similar airspace or even 4 6.5s ported in similar airspace. Without looking I would also prefer to pair that rd1500 with 2 12tw5 over 4 10tw3. The tw5 is pretty much the king of the shallow mounts even at it's high price. Really interested to compare it to the new alpine r2 shallow mount subs since they are built similarly. Sundown also has the sd4 line which performs well sealed and while not a dedicated shallow mount it is quite thin

JL amps while I think they are a touch overpriced for what you get are fine. Kinda hard to find compact amps audiocontrol is another nice alternative.

And yes deadener and full door treatments are always recommended.

The alpine should have a basic dsp built in to help set the delay for left and right and front to rear. And depending how in depth that may be enough for you.

I will stress that while price doesn't always mean it's better their are plenty examples of too good to be true.

·
Registered
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali
2,122 Posts

View attachment 355579

Welcome, I have the same truck and know my way around it pretty well. The HU and amps seem fine, i would ditch the kickers and go with a wideband for stock dash location. Something like the audiofrog gs25 will drop right in with no modifications or adaptors needed. You have a 6x9 in the front doors now. You could switch to 6.5 another 6x9 and even fit some 8”. Keeping with the Audiofrog theme the gs690 (6x9) is a very good choice for the money.

4x10’s is a lot of sub. According to Mti’s website it can be done, with a seat lift. All Enclosures

I have a mti stage 3/4 box with 2 JL 13tw5, I plan on listing it soon. If you’re interested. No seat lift required with this one.

That CDT audio sale is hard to beat at the moment. Ive never used them but they’re wide band has gotten good reviews as well. Wanna say it’s the unity 8

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Tire Line

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Yellow Automotive lighting

Reactions: Willbo

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
As far as sound treatment goes, i used noico and its fine for the money. Far from the best but considering the price it works and doesn’t melt or fall off(I would recommend multiple layers though). The NVX cld is better and pretty close in price. Second skin makes good products, if you haven’t watched these videos please do as they show step by step how to go through the process correctly. Wish these were made before i started on mine.

Resonix is king around here and it should be for what it cost. Shop new – ResoNix Sound Solutions

No matter what you choose, do something to close up those service openings/cheap vapor barriers. I used ABS and made a template. Lead seems like another great option. It made a huge difference in mine, even when i had the stock bose speakers place. @slowride you got some pictures for our new friend.

Reactions: Dwarteacher

·
Registered
2016 GMC Sierra
803 Posts
Agree with what’s been said about your front stage. Ditch the kickers and look into audiofrog gs series or similar. I’m running two of those 10tw3s and I’m looking to replace them soon. Not super impressed for the price. Maybe grab some of the sundown sd-4 before the xs merger. You’ll pay a premium for JL stuff. It’s quality but prices like it comes from Italy. And I understand. JL does real R&D and has a top notch product. But some of their speakers live off the name reputation of speakers past. I got quite a few pictures as well. Measurements too if you want to make your amp rack with a seat lift. Just let me know what you want to see. I drive a 2016 Sierra crew cab.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. You guys don't play around. So before I get to the replies, I should make a couple things clear. I never really got to the point of being a car audio "enthusiast." Meaning I never really went down the rabbit hole. I've had one other system in my old truck. Single cab Sierra with corvette seats which gave me enough room for two JL 10w3s behind the seats, some 2 way components (don't remember which set) and a decent head unit. Sounded pretty good, at least I thought so. That being said, anything past the 2 way component set and I don't really know what I'm looking at. Or maybe it's better to say I don't really know what will and won't work without some major modifications (which I'm trying to avoid).

The alpine radio should be fine and yes they sell a bypass module to get around the parking brake crutchfield should have it but Amazon will have it every day.

Ive never really been impressed with kicker and as such my experience with them is rather a decade outdated but you don't really need to worry about matching up rms ratings on component sets.

I don't have any recommendations in the sub $200 range myself hopefully others have recommendations. Personally I would ditch and have ditched the rear fill and bump the budget for the front speakers.

Cdt is having an awesome thanksgiving sale right now and their products are pretty good for the money and a regular basis so the sale makes them all the better.

4 10s under the seat to me seems less than ideal. That's at minimum 2cubic feat of airspace needed for sealed. I personally don't care for sealed and would recommend 2 8s ported in what would be similar airspace or even 4 6.5s ported in similar airspace. Without looking I would also prefer to pair that rd1500 with 2 12tw5 over 4 10tw3. The tw5 is pretty much the king of the shallow mounts even at it's high price. Really interested to compare it to the new alpine r2 shallow mount subs since they are built similarly. Sundown also has the sd4 line which performs well sealed and while not a dedicated shallow mount it is quite thin

JL amps while I think they are a touch overpriced for what you get are fine. Kinda hard to find compact amps audiocontrol is another nice alternative.

And yes deadener and full door treatments are always recommended.

The alpine should have a basic dsp built in to help set the delay for left and right and front to rear. And depending how in depth that may be enough for you.

I will stress that while price doesn't always mean it's better their are plenty examples of too good to be true.
I've seen the ported front firing boxes for 8's and I want to avoid the front firing setup because I actually use my backseat for work during the summer and don't want anything to puncture a sub or something stupid.

Also, if you have a link for the bypass module or something it would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome, I have the same truck and know my way around it pretty well. The HU and amps seem fine, i would ditch the kickers and go with a wideband for stock dash location. Something like the audiofrog gs25 will drop right in with no modifications or adaptors needed. You have a 6x9 in the front doors now. You could switch to 6.5 another 6x9 and even fit some 8”. Keeping with the Audiofrog theme the gs690 (6x9) is a very good choice for the money.

4x10’s is a lot of sub. According to Mti’s website it can be done, with a seat lift. All Enclosures

I have a mti stage 3/4 box with 2 JL 13tw5, I plan on listing it soon. If you’re interested. No seat lift required with this one.

That CDT audio sale is hard to beat at the moment. Ive never used them but they’re wide band has gotten good reviews as well. Wanna say it’s the unity 8

View attachment 355580
View attachment 355582
View attachment 355581
I appreciate the offer on the box and subs but I've always preferred 10's for subs. I feel like I get more punch and less rumble from 10's.

Agree with what’s been said about your front stage. Ditch the kickers and look into audiofrog gs series or similar. I’m running two of those 10tw3s and I’m looking to replace them soon. Not super impressed for the price. Maybe grab some of the sundown sd-4 before the xs merger. You’ll pay a premium for JL stuff. It’s quality but prices like it comes from Italy. And I understand. JL does real R&D and has a top notch product. But some of their speakers live off the name reputation of speakers past. I got quite a few pictures as well. Measurements too if you want to make your amp rack with a seat lift. Just let me know what you want to see. I drive a 2016 Sierra crew cab.
It's sad to hear that the JLs don't perform that well. I never tried to build a system for this truck because I never really believed in the shallow mount subs when I first heard of them and I don't want to lose my backseat so I just shrugged it off. I have thought about doing a custom console stretching from the front dash to the backseat to house some subs, but at the end of the day that is more than I really want to do for a daily driver.

Overall you guys have given me a lot to think about. I was hoping to find some good holiday deals on some of this stuff (kind of why I was leaning towards the Kicker stuff) but I've learned there aren't too many sales on this stuff anymore. The CDT sale is interesting but they don't make it easy to navigate their site and know what I'm getting (at least for me). Any links you guys can provide for anything is appreciated. I think what I might end up doing is sticking with the Alpine head unit and figure out the components first, and add some subs later to try and avoid dropping a chunk of money all at once. It's nice to know I at least picked out a couple of good amps for the setup.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Wow. You guys don't play around. So before I get to the replies, I should make a couple things clear. I never really got to the point of being a car audio "enthusiast." Meaning I never really went down the rabbit hole. I've had one other system in my old truck. Single cab Sierra with corvette seats which gave me enough room for two JL 10w3s behind the seats, some 2 way components (don't remember which set) and a decent head unit. Sounded pretty good, at least I thought so. That being said, anything past the 2 way component set and I don't really know what I'm looking at. Or maybe it's better to say I don't really know what will and won't work without some major modifications (which I'm trying to avoid).

I've seen the ported front firing boxes for 8's and I want to avoid the front firing setup because I actually use my backseat for work during the summer and don't want anything to puncture a sub or something stupid.

Also, if you have a link for the bypass module or something it would be greatly appreciated.

I appreciate the offer on the box and subs but I've always preferred 10's for subs. I feel like I get more punch and less rumble from 10's.

It's sad to hear that the JLs don't perform that well. I never tried to build a system for this truck because I never really believed in the shallow mount subs when I first heard of them and I don't want to lose my backseat so I just shrugged it off. I have thought about doing a custom console stretching from the front dash to the backseat to house some subs, but at the end of the day that is more than I really want to do for a daily driver.

Overall you guys have given me a lot to think about. I was hoping to find some good holiday deals on some of this stuff (kind of why I was leaning towards the Kicker stuff) but I've learned there aren't too many sales on this stuff anymore. The CDT sale is interesting but they don't make it easy to navigate their site and know what I'm getting (at least for me). Any links you guys can provide for anything is appreciated. I think what I might end up doing is sticking with the Alpine head unit and figure out the components first, and add some subs later to try and avoid dropping a chunk of money all at once. It's nice to know I at least picked out a couple of good amps for the setup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So from what I can tell after digging into Audiofrogs website, is the GS series is meant to be built as a component set piece by piece. Where the G60S is a component set with a woofer, tweeter and crossover all in one set. But the GS series is rated for more power than the G60S set. It seems to me that the only way the GS series makes sense would be if I use a DSP with them. Am I reading this correctly?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Most manufacturers let you buy speakers individually so you don’t end up spending money on a unnecessary xover if you’re going active. I wouldn’t be concerned about the power ratings especially if you plan on using the JL amp.

The alpine should have some sort of basic internal dsp functions built in. I haven’t looked into that model but I would be surprised if it didn’t have some sort of Xover/time alignment/EQ for each CH.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But without the crossover I'll need an extra channels for each set of speakers correct? So a pair of GS60s and GS10s with no crossover will use four channels for power. Not to mention they run about $600. Another $230 for the crossover. Basically doubling what I planned to spend.

·
Registered
82 Posts
But without the crossover I'll need an extra channels for each set of speakers correct? So a pair of GS60s and GS10s with no crossover will use four channels for power. Not to mention they run about $600. Another $230 for the crossover. Basically doubling what I planned to spend.
That's why we suggested ditching the rear speakers or at least just keeping the factory speakers on headunit power.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
You planned on a 4ch amp from the get go. That would be enough for your front stage/2 way. I don’t think anyone has recommended you go gs10/gs60.

You don’t need the additional separate xover or rears. You planned on spending over $1700 on just subs without an enclosure but only $190 on the front speakers 😆. What do you think that’s going to sound like?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You planned on a 4ch amp from the get go. That would be enough for your front stage/2 way. I don’t think anyone has recommended you go gs10/gs60.

You don’t need the additional separate xover or rears. You planned on spending over $1700 on just subs without an enclosure but only $190 on the front speakers 😆. What do you think that’s going to sound like?
What can I say... I tried. 🤷

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
What can I say... I tried. 🤷
Its all good and we’re just trying to help. Most of us have been through multiple setups and would like to save others the headache and any money possible.

Reactions: OzAudioGmc

·
Registered
2016 GMC Sierra
803 Posts
Its all good and we’re just trying to help. Most of us have been through multiple setups and would like to save others the headache and any money possible.
buy once cry once. Also use quality gear that installers use daily. They are the pros and know what works for usability, dependability and profitability. I know our budgets don’t always allow it but getting the most dependable gear you can afford will net you much happiness.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2017 with Bose?

Can skip the Alpine and use a PAC AP4-GM61 and the speaker harness, if desired to stay stock but get a flat signal out via TOSLINK or RCAs.

Sub: Take a look at the Sundown SD-4 10 or 12 on down4sound. Nice sale, sub is well regarded with decent output for a 4.5-5” mounting depth. Definitely models way louder than a 10TW3, and about half the cost to move elsewhere or keep in your pocket. Audiomobile also has some good shallow stuff, too.

6x9 in door with a tweeter or wideband in corners works great. CDT as mentioned has good budget items that perform. Unity 8.0 and a CD version r HD series 6x9 component woofer would be great.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts