DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly far into an SQ build. My issue is that I want SQ, but also like the ability to play loud bass. My build is below and I'd appreciate input on how to handle the sub(s). I'm currently mixing 2 10" shallow mount subs with a big DC XL elite 12" that is in a quick release setup, so if I need space in my backseat, I can pull it out easily. I've been advised not to mix different size subs and would appreciate recommendations for what sub brand may be a nice fit between SQ and SPL.

Thanks,
James

Headunit:
Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX

Front stage (3-way):
Morel hybrid 602 (6.5" + tweeter) + morel elate mids (cdm880)

Rear fill:
Morel hybrid 6.5

Amps:
2 Addictive Audio p13.4 amps for 8 speakers
DC audio D2.0k mono amp - for DC 12"
DD audio DM1000 mono amp - for JL 10s

Subs:
DC audio 12" XL Elite sub in a custom enclosure (quick release box in back seat)
2 JL 10TW3 subs behind rear seats in a ported box (behind back seat, so if I need the space I can remove the DC sub and these do the job)

Dsp:
Helix Ultra + Director's remote

Other:
Hushmat on doors, rear wall and headliner
CES 370amp alternator
Big 3 upgrade
Full throttle battery under hood + 2nd under back seat

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Is your DC Audio sub ported or sealed? The issue with mixing subs isn’t so much the issue as mixing enclosure types as ported will have a different phase profile than sealed. Even two different ported subs will likely have different phase profiles. I use DSP Allpass filters, which changes the phase, when I’ve needed to integrate ported and sealed subs in home theaters. Essentially, you’re trying to align the phase profiles of all of your subs so they are working together and aren’t fighting each other at various frequencies.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your DC Audio sub ported or sealed? The issue with mixing subs isn’t so much the issue as mixing enclosure types as ported will have a different phase profile than sealed. Even two different ported subs will likely have different phase profiles. I use DSP Allpass filters, which changes the phase, when I’ve needed to integrate ported and sealed subs in home theaters. Essentially, you’re trying to align the phase profiles of all of your subs so they are working together and aren’t fighting each other at various frequencies.
Thank you.
The subs are both in ported enclosures (DC slot vented and tuned to 35hz. Need to check on the tuning of the JLs). I am actually having the dsp installed and tuned next week, so perhaps that will resolve any phase issues. The person tuning the dsp mentioned the idea of the subs fighting each other.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Then get a measurement with just the DC sub and just the TW3s. Take a look phase and then suggest an Allpass filter to align the phase of each sub. He may not have used an Allpass filter belore but it is a nice tool for him to add to his repertoire. It will be different but tell him to give it a shot and he’ll be a better tuner. Allpass doesn’t affect frequencies, at least not directly, it’s focused on phase (+/-180 degrees) so you should be able to get those subs to largely be in alignment.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. The place that I am going for the tune is Musicar NW in Portland, OR. It is a high end shop that does a lot of custom installs. I'm pretty sure they will be familiar with an all pass filter, but will be sure to mention it. Thank you for the input.

Then get a measurement with just the DC sub and just the TW3s. Take a look phase and then suggest an Allpass filter to align the phase of each sub. He may not have used an Allpass filter belore but it is a nice tool for him to add to his repertoire. It will be different but tell him to give it a shot and he’ll be a better tuner. Allpass doesn’t affect frequencies, at least not directly, it’s focused on phase (+/-180 degrees) so you should be able to get those subs to largely be in alignment.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had it tuned elsewhere. The person that did the tune did use an all pass filter (the person is a member of the site and said they learned about the all pass filter through diyma). We set up 2 tunings, one for sq and one for spl. On the sq tune, we only used the JL subs. There was an issue having both JL and DC subs play at the same time. On the spl tune both the JL and DC play. It sounds really good.

On separate threads I posed these questions.

1) I'm running morel elate mids in a dash location. Would there be a big benefi6 to moving them to custom a pillars (it will cost $500)

2) Are More Hybrid 6.5s not known to put out a lot of midbass? I'm considering changing to Dyn Esotar 6.5s, but if the modest midbass is install related, I'd like to address the root cause, not just swap mids.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts