DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Searched the site but didn't quite find what I was looking for. I have a 2017 VW Tiguan Wolfsburg (non-premium audio) and will be upgrading the speakers soon. Just wondering if anyone has any hands-on experience with this vehicle. I've heard from some that the front door speakers need to be fairly shallow, and others say that a regular-depth speaker is fine when using appropriate spacers/rings/brackets.

I'm also looking for budget suggestions for a good 2-way 6.5" component set. I haven't really decided whether to go a la cart (raw driver) or to buy a complete set, but I know there are tons of options either way. I will also be moving a GZ DSP, two amps and a 12" sub over from my Jetta, so any advice on what to look out for there is appreciated. Factory HU is actually really versatile, so it will stay at least for now.

Thanks for any help!

· Registered
504 Posts
I'd try to get some measurements on it or maybe guesstimate how deep the tweeter can be.

Thing about tweeters in a 2 way is you need them to play as low as you can get which typically means a larger tweeter. Or a wideband. But that's a different topic.

IF you are willing to look into making your own sail panels, which isn't terrible, you can get pretty custom on sizing and get real close to dead on aiming.

That said, my go to for under 300 if you can go active at the risk of sounding like a parrot repeating folks,

SB acoustics sb17nrx for your mids

SB acoustics sb29rdnc tweeter

Total is 250-260 before tax.

The tweeter is 2.8 inches from edge to edge so it's a bit big for stock locations unless it's in a dash spot. It benefits a LOT from on-axis, on ear/head aiming.

For mids if you haven't dedicated money to it, sound deadening with CLD is vital to good lower response. If you have to find different mids I would go with getting sound deadener and a good door install locked down.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd try to get some measurements on it or maybe guesstimate how deep the tweeter can be.

Thing about tweeters in a 2 way is you need them to play as low as you can get which typically means a larger tweeter. Or a wideband. But that's a different topic.

IF you are willing to look into making your own sail panels, which isn't terrible, you can get pretty custom on sizing and get real close to dead on aiming.

That said, my go to for under 300 if you can go active at the risk of sounding like a parrot repeating folks,

SB acoustics sb17nrx for your mids

SB acoustics sb29rdnc tweeter

Total is 250-260 before tax.

The tweeter is 2.8 inches from edge to edge so it's a bit big for stock locations unless it's in a dash spot. It benefits a LOT from on-axis, on ear/head aiming.

For mids if you haven't dedicated money to it, sound deadening with CLD is vital to good lower response. If you have to find different mids I would go with getting sound deadener and a good door install locked down.

Yeah, I figure I'll have to eventually take off the sail panel to get some measurements. I'm hopeful that I'll have decent room behind the grill for a good-size tweet.

I'm actually leaning toward passive ATM bc running an extra channel of speaker wire from the cabin through the door will probably be next to impossible, though I'll investigate further. I'm trying to stick to factory locations for now, so 2-way is what I'll probably end up doing.

I do have a DSP, amps, and a sub that I'll bed moving over from my Jetta. I had already planned on fully deadening the doors as well.

I'll check out the SB speaker suggestions - I've always heard great things about them. Thanks for all the help so far!

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

· Registered
504 Posts
No problem, if you can't run 2 wire sets into your door them maybe you could look into a pillar pod setup for your tweeter. Pods aren't for everyone with looks, but on a budget, PVC end caps can make a decent setup with a little effort.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problem, if you can't run 2 wire sets into your door them maybe you could look into a pillar pod setup for your tweeter. Pods aren't for everyone with looks, but on a budget, PVC end caps can make a decent setup with a little effort.

Yeah, I actually have some basic 3D printed pods I was going to use in the Jetta (with some $23 2" Audible Physics widebands) but I never got around to doing it. But per the girlfriend, no pods or A pillar mods in the Tiguan for now (she pays the car payment LOL). I may have to change her mind...

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.