DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks! I’m going to take a stab at covering the build of my S5 coupe. I’m typically a DIY type of guy, but for various reasons have decided to let the pros handle this one. I chose Audio X because of their reputation and having seen/heard a couple of their vehicles I came away duly impressed. Since I was going to be in AL for Big Al’s annual birthday extravaganza, I figured I might as well take the :cough: short :cough: drive up to Florence and drop off the car.

The Car
2018 Audi S5 Prestige Coupe, purchased CPO with around 8k on the clock. It has a single turbo 3.0 liter V6 engine putting out 354 horsepower and all-wheel drive. The car is ridiculously comfortable and fun to drive… also gets around 28 MPG on trips which is nice.

Goals
My goals are just to have a better than average system but nice enough that if I want to get back into competition I wouldn’t get laughed out of the lanes.

Equipment
Head Unit: Stock Audi B&O/MMI
Interface: Nav-TV Zen-V
DSP: miniDSP C-DSP 8x12 DL
Front Stage: Audiofrog GB10’s and GB25’s in the A-pillars & Audio Development W800NEO 8” midbass in the lower doors
Rear Fill: Going to start with the stock Audi rear speakers to get a feeling for the ambiance
Subwoofers: Two Acoustic Elegance SBP15s running Infinite Baffle
Amplification: Two Zapco 150.4 LX amps for the front stage and rear fill, one Zapco Z2KD mono to the subs

Car Pictures

I don’t have any decent pics of the car, so I blatantly borrowed these from bertholomeys GTG thread

Install Pictures

Just a pile of parts…

Missing some stuff…

One Steve sent… for fun?

The shape of things to come…

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Fantastic car... and really nice equipment too!
This is going to be good.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Great car and good equipment choices. :) Oh and that Steve Cook bloke and his cohorts aren't too shabby, either. :p Looking forward to this one. Congrats.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great car and good equipment choices. :) Oh and that Steve Cook bloke and his cohorts aren't too shabby, either. :p Looking forward to this one. Congrats.
Thank you sir! We arrived at Audio X right before quitting time on a Friday evening... his crew should have had their jackets on and heading for the door.
Nope... they pulled the car into the bay and started the dismantle on the spot. Serious team Steve has!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
'scribed

Nice car and equipment. I'm betting you'll find no need for rear fill speakers for ambience as IME the MiniDSP DL does something that seems to make the sound surround you if the information is in the track.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
'scribed

Nice car and equipment. I'm betting you'll find no need for rear fill speakers for ambience as IME the MiniDSP DL does something that seems to make the sound surround you if the information is in the track.
Thank you! I've always enjoyed a very small amount of rear fill, so that's why I'm just using the stock rears at first to see if I even need them...

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Beautiful car! I'm in... Your post count is concerning. ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
So excited to hear your impressions as I have a 2016 A4 and am going with the exact same front stage as you and planning on using the Dirac live Minidsp!

Looking forward to this build and beautiful car!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Damn. I thought IB in a hatch, thats bold? Then realized the S5 is not a hatchback but the Sportback is. Whew.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So excited to hear your impressions as I have a 2016 A4 and am going with the exact same front stage as you and planning on using the Dirac live Minidsp!

Looking forward to this build and beautiful car!
Thanks! I've been impressed with this Frog combo every time I've heard it but I'll be sure to post my thoughts!

1 - 20 of 96 Posts