DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Speaking of attention to detail, over the years I've learned a lot about "maintenance friendliness". Mostly from working on a project and running into access issues where the original designer clearly gave no thought to how something was going to be serviced later on... :listenup::thumbsdown:

So, when Steve sent me the pic below, my first thought was that the module in green was going to wind up underneath the IB frame. I asked him about it and he already had a plan to relocate the module! Now that's attention to detail I can get behind! :cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Definitely going to follow this build. Very nice so far.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Latest update with some awesome amp wiring...

Doors with sound deadening and acrylic rings...

Oh, and speakers... we have speakers!

And now, the trouble-makers!!!
The first picture is the factory midbass speaker (hard to see) which fires toward the back of the door and is directed into the cabin by the opening. The whole contraption fits in the 8" diameter door opening... why Audi/B&O didn't just use an 8" diameter speaker is beyond me! The second pic shows the real problem. For some stupid reason, when Audi created a grille for the speaker, they chose to seal the area over the speaker while leaving the vent area open... half of the grille passes sound and the other half doesn't!?!?

This brings me to the third and fourth pictures which show the PITA work that Steve has had to perform... essentially, grinding down the sealed up part of the grille to get it opened back up. The problem is that the plastic is so soft, it is melting and sealing itself back up... causing Steve hours of slow, unnecessary grinding all due to a bad design/implementation. Ok, I'll stop my ranting!

I'll close this update on a happier note with a little sneak peak...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thank you! I see you are in NC... have you been to any of the local get-togethers? Always a great time!
I am part of the Triangle Audi Group. We usually go to the Raleigh Detail Garage, Cars and Coffee in Morrisville etc. We are on Facebook and Instagram. If your ever in the area I would definitely check out your S5 for sure.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Are you using Brax eXvibration paste for damping.....

BTW, pillars with that slick Audi logo turned out awesome!

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I am part of the Triangle Audi Group. We usually go to the Raleigh Detail Garage, Cars and Coffee in Morrisville etc. We are on Facebook and Instagram. If your ever in the area I would definitely check out your S5 for sure.
I didn't even notice that you had an Audi! Was actually talking about the car audio get-togethers, most notably @bertholomeys annual meet in May near Greensboro... here's a link to last years;
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/12-volt-events-team-diyma/411491-2019-ncsq-meet-3-5-may-2019-location-changed.html

If you are into car audio even a little bit, don't miss this GTG, he should be posting the 2020 date soon (no pressure Jason).

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Some updates… the aluminum frame that will mount the sub baffle to the car
/IMG]

The design for the sub grille, a la Steve Cook
]

Man, I love that frame!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yes its always a bit of a challenge sealing the IB baffle to the car body. I never really though of doing it that way before. If you're used to fabricating metal (as I am) that's actually a pretty brilliantly straightforward way to do it, and looks very nice as well.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts