Registered
515 Posts
Looking good! Subbed!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
518 Posts
Got those holes filled in... :D

Is that a flat power wire cable? Do you know what brand that is? I think that would be super useful in certain install situations.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
This brings me to the third and fourth pictures which show the PITA work that Steve has had to perform... essentially, grinding down the sealed up part of the grille to get it opened back up. The problem is that the plastic is so soft, it is melting and sealing itself back up... causing Steve hours of slow, unnecessary grinding all due to a bad design/implementation. Ok, I'll stop my ranting!
Would it not have been easier to just fabricate entire replacement grills using the OEM as a template? I would have thought the shop could whip something up pretty quickly that would still look good.

And having had to grind Audi plastic in the past, yeah, that stuff sucks. It just gums itself up as you are grinding and makes a real mess.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The good news is Yes, it's a flat power cable...

The bad news is... you have to go to Audi to get it... it's a factory cable :blush:
Ahh bummer lol. I bet Audi charges a grip for hat cable.

·
Premium Member
9,139 Posts
Subscribed!

I've been following along on Facebook, and didn't realize you had a thread posted in here. I really like what Steve and crew did with the subwoofer baffle. I have similar plans for my wife's car. Fortunately, I have access to my brothers CNC table (plasma & router).

I can't wait to see your car all buttoned up.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Is there any reason the subs are firing into the trunk rather the cabin? Weve obviously seen it done both ways many times but I never knew the reason if 1 is better than the other

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Is there any reason the subs are firing into the trunk rather the cabin? Weve obviously seen it done both ways many times but I never knew the reason if 1 is better than the other
No different from running a sub inverted in a sealed or ported box. Just looks cleaner where eyes will be in my opinion. Lots of people run IB subs this way.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Would it not have been easier to just fabricate entire replacement grills using the OEM as a template? I would have thought the shop could whip something up pretty quickly that would still look good.

And having had to grind Audi plastic in the past, yeah, that stuff sucks. It just gums itself up as you are grinding and makes a real mess.
Talking to Steve, he says that given the multiple compound curves of the factory grille, trying to duplicate it would not be easy and may not have looked right...

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Subscribed!

I've been following along on Facebook, and didn't realize you had a thread posted in here. I really like what Steve and crew did with the subwoofer baffle. I have similar plans for my wife's car. Fortunately, I have access to my brothers CNC table (plasma & router).

I can't wait to see your car all buttoned up.
Appreciate it! I would love to have access to that type of equipment, turns out such clean work!

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
For me it was just aesthetics... the baskets on the the AE's aren't the prettiest to look at.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
A few more updates. I told Steve that I wanted;
  • A little "bling" in the trunk
  • No car audio specific logos since the equipment is subject to change
  • That I liked a black-ish with red highlights type of scheme
Here is what he came up with

How do I post videos hosted on flickr?

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think that Audi logo over the subs is one of my favorite design elements of all time! Going to be at the shop this weekend. Can't wait to see it in person.

·
Registered
515 Posts
It looks fantastic in person! Nearly every team member this weekend joked "I need to go IB" after hearing the bottom end. It is going to sound excellent when tuned.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Thanks for the update! Steve said it flexes the roof, so his framework and sealing is obviously on point! I'm getting really excited!

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
These will be the last official "Audio X" updates, since I'll be picking up the finished product on Friday!

Steve added some CF rings to the back plate... they were a little plain

He also replaced the CF on the sub grille

Lit up and pretty

Finally, Steve took the car and had the windows tinted

61 - 80 of 96 Posts