DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok, looks like the MTI acoustics subwoofer box is scheduled for a tomorrow delivery; interested to see how it turned out. The garage is prepped and ready to start disassembly next weekend; all other projects are on hold until the system is in. Hoping to wrap up the install in two or three weekends!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok, looks like the MTI acoustics subwoofer box is scheduled for a tomorrow delivery; interested to see how it turned out. The garage is prepped and ready to start disassembly next weekend; all other projects are on hold until the system is in. Hoping to wrap up the install in two or three weekends!
That’s awesome !!

my MTI box was delivered last week !! This thing is a work of art !

Stage 2 for 2 JL Audio 13TW5’s , sound deadens/treatment, front acrylic windows and red leds !! This thing is a beast too !!

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That’s awesome !!

my MTI box was delivered last week !! This thing is a work of art !

Stage 2 for 2 JL Audio 13TW5’s , sound deadens/treatment, front acrylic windows and red leds !! This thing is a beast too !!
Your subwoofer box looks fantastic brother! Are you happy with the way it is built? I think you are but I always have to ask. Shipping box intact upon arrival? I tend to be a do-it-yourselfer mainly because I have not had good luck purchasing custom anything! I think I'm cursed or something!

My subwoofer box will not be nearly as nice as yours; I just went with the black carpet; kids and all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your subwoofer box looks fantastic brother! Are you happy with the way it is built? I think you are but I always have to ask. Shipping box intact upon arrival? I tend to be a do-it-yourselfer mainly because I have not had good luck purchasing custom anything! I think I'm cursed or something!

My subwoofer box will not be nearly as nice as yours; I just went with the black carpet; kids and all.
I was a little skeptical at 1st but I was assured I’d be getting TOP quality and man I was not let down at all !! This thing is a work of art ! I wanted to get a little more fancy with it but it gets costly ! Lol

I’m also a DIY guy but box building is not my forte and this far exceeds my skills !! I’d buy it again if I needed to ! Yea, I was worried that it would show up all beat up but to my surprise it was all intact ! Only issue I had was with FedEx and their stupidity on following instructions !!

But yea, I hear ya on the kids. It’s actually easier to clean the leather than the carpet and my son is 12 and he knows not to mess anything up and he knows I’m clean freak !!

here’s the bottom with the subs in. I haven’t installed yet as this enclosure is expensive as you know, so I’m still gathering my parts.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I was a little skeptical at 1st but I was assured I’d be getting TOP quality and man I was not let down at all !! This thing is a work of art ! I wanted to get a little more fancy with it but it gets costly ! Lol

I’m also a DIY guy but box building is not my forte and this far exceeds my skills !! I’d buy it again if I needed to ! Yea, I was worried that it would show up all beat up but to my surprise it was all intact ! Only issue I had was with FedEx and their stupidity on following instructions !!

But yea, I hear ya on the kids. It’s actually easier to clean the leather than the carpet and my son is 12 and he knows not to mess anything up and he knows I’m clean freak !!

here’s the bottom with the subs in. I haven’t installed yet as this enclosure is expensive as you know, so I’m still gathering my parts.

View attachment 272078
Thanks for the extra detail; very much appreciated!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Do you happen to remember what the rough dimensions were on your amp mounting board? Also, any pics of amp to seat clearance? Thank you!
I actually don't have those dimensions written down anywhere surprisingly. I basically measured between the cab vents and subtracted about a 1/4" for some play, if I had to guess it'd be somewhere around 50-52" wide and 13-14" tall.

I did however find a few pictures for you regarding the rear seat clearance:
1592792051235.png

1592792120339.png

These are both with the seat folded up, there is even more space when they are in their normal position. Not sure I could get a decent picture from the top looking at the amps but when I peeked in there just now I'd estimate at least 2" from the top of the amp to the back of the seats. For reference, I used a 3/4" piece of plywood for my rack.

Sidenote, the box looks great! Totally jealous, maybe one day I'll think about that seat lift and go for a monster set of 12"s!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I actually don't have those dimensions written down anywhere surprisingly. I basically measured between the cab vents and subtracted about a 1/4" for some play, if I had to guess it'd be somewhere around 50-52" wide and 13-14" tall.

View attachment 272081

View attachment 272082

These are both with the seat folded up, there is even more space when they are in their normal position. Not sure I could get a decent picture from the top looking at the amps but when I peeked in there just now I'd estimate at least 2" from the top of the amp to the back of the seats. For reference, I used a 3/4" piece of plywood for my rack.

Sidenote, the box looks great! Totally jealous, maybe one day I'll think about that seat lift and go for a monster set of 12"s!
More room back there than I expected! Thank you for the pics.

A pair of 12's would decimate all!! 12" subs are my favorite size for subs which is why I always buy 10's; makes perfect sense huh.....lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

View attachment 272081

View attachment 272082

Another random question, how much of an air gap did you have between the door speakers and door panel grill? Mulling over adding foam rings.....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Another random question, how much of an air gap did you have between the door speakers and door panel grill? Mulling over adding foam rings.....
I actually still have quite a bit, enough so that I am contemplating adding another 1" layer to my baffle stack. Either way I think that some CCF around the baffle to seal against the door card is pretty well recommended.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I actually still have quite a bit, enough so that I am contemplating adding another 1" layer to my baffle stack. Either way I think that some CCF around the baffle to seal against the door card is pretty well recommended.
What would you say it is, 2" total?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'd say likely a bit more, tho I wish I had some measurements to back that up. My current stack is 2.5" and I feel like it could be closer to the door card.
whoa, that seems like quite a bit, I thank you once again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Subscribing as I have a 2016 CC that I'll be doing adding some better sound to as well. MTI box looks like a very well made box, thanks for sharing the pics. Wondering has anyone tried using the console area for mounting the amps and dsp? Have either of you guys run new speaker wire and if so how did you deal with the door connector?

thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
rear seat outer side trim panels trimmed; no more interference when seat is folded down! tin snips with relief cuts, a 3" sanding disc and some finish hand sanding with emery cloth = gtg

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
rear pass door outer door skin templates I made for the stinger roadkill, I'll just flip them over for the drivers rear:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
inner rear door using patterns:

outer rear door:

speaker baffle or whatever its called:

I didn't do full coverage because I wanted to keep it manageable and somewhat simple....hopefully this makes a difference. Going to do a little work on the door panel and call it good.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts