DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

My goal is to build a mostly budget oriented sound system to upgrade my stock Head Unit and what I believe to be non amplified speakers.

The RPO codes for my truck are IO6 (8" screen/navigation), and UQ3 (6 speaker audio system).

I don't believe there are any factory amplifiers so my current plan is to use a Line Out Converter (Audio Control LC2i) from a full stereo signal source.

From what I can tell there are 2 dash speakers, 2 front door speakers, and 2 rear door speakers.

I'm not exactly sure what the speaker sizes are, however, various car audio sites have me believing they are: 2.75" dash, 6x9" front door, 6.5" rear door.

I think my plan of attack is to keep the REAR door speakers stock, and replace the FRONT door and DASH speakers with a set of 2-Way components using the tweeter in the dash location and the 6.75" speaker in the front door location.

I'd then like to run a single 10" subwoofer under the rear seat.

I will say that this system is mostly going to be utilizing equipment I've already bought, just never got around to installing it in my previous truck.
All the gear is brand new just a few years old which I'm fine with.

The system plan is as follows:

Line Out Converter =
Audio Control LC2i

Front Door and Dash Speakers/Amplifier =
1x Pioneer GM-D8604 Class FD 4-Channel 600W amp
1x Pioneer TS-D1720C 6.75-Inch D-Series Components

Rear Door Speakers =
Stock

Under Rear Seat Subwoofer/Amplifier =
1x Pioneer GM-D8601 Class D Mono 800W amp
1x Sundown Audio SA-10 D2 Rev 2 (10" Dual 2-Ohm SA Series Sub)

Will be using OFC cabling and Audio Control LGD's if I need them.

My primary concerns are finding the correct T-Harness or integration harness and finding a full stereo signal for amplification signals. Another board member indicated the front speakers may be a full stereo signal or close to it. I'm curious if the front dash speakers are tied to the front door speakers or if they have their own outputs from the stock HU.

I will be doing all the work myself so I'm sure this will be a labor of love! Also have a box of Stinger Roadkill and a few rolls of 1/8" Dynamat Dynaliner to throw in there as well.

I suppose I should mention my truck has factory dual alternators (150amp and 220amp) so with 370 available amps and dual batteries I'm not terribly concerned with any upgrades in this area but I'm also not entirely sure which battery I should pull from or if I should just run a supplemental AGM battery like the XS Power 750.

If you made it here, thanks for reading everything, looking forward to some useful advice!

·
Registered
270 Posts
You are correct on speaker sizes and locations. I would stick with a 6x9 in the front door- more cone area. Lots of good companies making components with a 6x9. The signals is full range everywhere. What other questions/concerns do u have?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are correct on speaker sizes and locations. I would stick with a 6x9 in the front door- more cone area. Lots of good companies making components with a 6x9. The signals is full range everywhere. What other questions/concerns do u have?
Those are some big details I needed, thank you! Especially the full range signals part!

Final concern/question would be T-Harness availability, although I've never used one, it would be nice to have one I think in this case.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have one I’m not using anymore. Switched to the alpine restyle unit for my 14 Silverado. Also have a jl cleansweep not usin either

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So a few changes to the plans.

Going to run the AP4-GM61 AmpPro into a JL Audio Twk-88 from the factory radio vs the Audio Control LC2i I originally had in mind. I feel like this will be a significant upgrade over the LC2i alone.

From there I'll still be running the same Pioneer mono amp to a single Sundown SA10 down-firing under the rear bench seat; 2.5" rear seat lift kit already installed. Going to use 13 layer, 3/4" baltic birch plywood over mdf (something new to me)

Also will be running the same Pioneer 4 channel amp into some yet to be determined component speakers. Fluctuating between raw drivers and component sets...so many options.

Everything else will be the same as described in the first post. Essentially, I'm a set of component speakers away from starting the install.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts