DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a long wait, and a lot of grief from my friends, I've finally started on my build. Here's the patient...a 2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71 quad-cab. If I had kids, I probably would have opted for the crew cab, but I prefer to have a longer bed. With the bed extender, I can carry a full-sized sheet of plywood laying flat in the bed.

·
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Here's the HU that I'm installing:

I had a helluva time getting everything soldered, because my tip was burn up to the point that I couldn't even tin it.

I didn't have another one on-hand, so I had to order a replacement...and here it is :D

·
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The DMH-C5500NEX has an 8" capacitive touch screen, and Metra just released a dash kit specifically for it. It's one of the best looking kits I've ever seen:

As you might have noticed, this unit has a separate screen that connects to the hidden radio box via a data cable. This means I didn't have to hack up the dash to get a double-din to fit.

I did have to take apart half the dash to run wires, though. Here's the pigtail that plugs into the steering wheel clockspring harness

Everything is controlled via a iDataLink Maestro RR

Here she is all buttoned up and playing

More to come...

·
Registered
3,492 Posts

Bout time... Lol! J/k

That dash kit looks super clean and stock!

·
Registered
238 Posts

Wow the Metra dash kit an Pio HU look great! Really interested to get your feedback on that solution with the Maestro kit. Any chance you can retain/use some of the factory USB ports?

·
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

What else are you planning to install in that truck?

Very interested
Seeing as how I don't really know for sure, it's hard to answer that question. I have several options available right now.

Wow the Metra dash kit an Pio HU look great! Really interested to get your feedback on that solution with the Maestro kit. Any chance you can retain/use some of the factory USB ports?
I've got a couple of wrinkles I need to iron out...backup camera not working, screen keeps reverting to a previous screen, etc. I'm thinking it's something wonky in the Maestro, I'm going to investigate further tonight. One of the big disappointments with this radio (besides a lack of wireless CarPlay) is that it only has one USB port. I've got a mountable extension, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do a custom center console, so it will go there.

·
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Long time, no see, my friend! I hope life is treating you well

·
Registered
5 Posts

One of the big disappointments with this radio (besides a lack of wireless CarPlay) is that it only has one USB port. I've got a mountable extension, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do a custom center console, so it will go there.
Most head units let you install a USB hub on them, may worth testing it.

PS. Just searched here and apparently Pioneer doesn't allow USB hubs on their units. It's a shame.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts

Nice truck! I have an ‘18 Z71 myself. I left the factory hu and used a Nav-TV. That pioneer and dash kit look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,546 Posts

Scribed for this... been waiting years:surprised::laugh:

1 - 20 of 146 Posts