DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
19,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, another build in the books. This one was pretty quick. Some of you may remember this thread..

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...se-equipment-my-car/384178-do-i-need-dsp.html

Thankfully, John put his faith in my and let me have a go at the install. He dropped his car off and hung out at the shop this past saturday with me and a few other customers of mine checking out their cars, talking, etc etc. It was fun. The goal for this build was make it as budget friendly as possible, while getting the most out of it in terms of SQ and leave room for possible upgrades. Equipment list as follows.

SB Acoustics SB17CRC35-4 Mids
SEAS Prestige 27TAFNC/G Tweeters
Zapco ST-6X SQ
ST-500XM II
Audiofrog G12 subwoofer
Helix DSP.2

For anyone wondering, this is the base model radio without a subwoofer or amplifier. The front left and right speaker level signal was grabbed and needed some input eq correction on the low end as there was a high pass filter applied. The rear speakers also had a high pass, so i didnt bother using those as the front speakers are what get bluetooth, chimes, and prompts.

Heres John's new baby..

I'm always surprised every time i use the SB17's. Very good for their price. Although this was my first time using the carbon cone version.

After routing out some baffles that matched the oem speaker brackets, the mids were installed and the doors were fully sealed and deadened. After that, closed cell foam was applied, along with closed cell foam rings around the mids to couple them to the cabin. 47uF caps were also installed to protect the tweeters.

Main power wire and fuse holder.

All RCA's and speaker wire labeled. Its the small things in life.

Amp rack all wired up and ready to be installed. Unfortunately didnt have any carpet that matched the oem color on hand. Would have ordered it but this car was only here for a couple days.

Audiofrog G12 and amp rack all in place and wired up. Like all things Audiofrog, im very surprised with the G12's performance. Great sounding subwoofer for around the $200 or less price range.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Trailblazing on the new Accord... Nice!

Reactions: SkizeR

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Nice setup, similar to what I am looking to achieve in my 06 accord

Using 4 ch on the 6 bridged to the mids?

·
Registered
19,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice setup, similar to what I am looking to achieve in my 06 accord

Using 4 ch on the 6 bridged to the mids?
yes sir.

·
18,697 Posts
My goodness, I love this car!!!!

Nice, simple build on this.

You said you grabbed the signal off the OEM radio's front outputs and had to do some EQ to them thanks to the HPF used. What exactly did you do and how flat were you able to get the signal? Any graphics from when you measured the outputs showing before/after? And finally, given you had to increase the output via DSP did you have any issue getting enough clean voltage out to properly power the sub? (factoring in cabin gain will help the output, I know, but I'm asking from a signal-only perspective)

I'm curious about this because I am legitimately planning on getting this car next year so having this kind of information would be useful info.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts

You said you grabbed the signal off the OEM radio's front outputs and had to do some EQ to them thanks to the HPF used. What exactly did you do and how flat were you able to get the signal? Any graphics from when you measured the outputs showing before/after? And finally, given you had to increase the output via DSP did you have any issue getting enough clean voltage out to properly power the sub? (factoring in cabin gain will help the output, I know, but I'm asking from a signal-only perspective)

I'm curious about this because I am legitimately planning on getting this car next year so having this kind of information would be useful info.

/\/\/\/\/\
Yeah what Erin said. I was eyeballing one the same color pretty hard a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is my car and I am really happy with the final product. Nick was great and spent a good amount of time with me on the phone and in person answering all my questions (and I had a lot of them). This is my first system and it exceeded my expectations. So happy I didn't go to all the local shops that were just looking to throw some speakers and amps in the car, not really worrying about sound quality. Most of the other shops told me i didnt need a dsp and didnt even mention sound deadening. All but 1 shop told me i could drop the car off in the morning and it would be completed the same day where Nick was upfront and told me it would take a few days. Nick was more interested in taking his time and doing the job right. In the end it was worth the 75 mile trip each way plus rental car.
THANKS NICK!!!!

·
Registered
19,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice looking install.

Did he get the full benefits of the dsp with keeping the stock HU?
regardless of the source, a dsp will always be a great tool to help make things sound much better than without one. In this case, it really helped because the helix has input eq which was needed to correct a high pass filter

was waiting for you lol. So this version of the car had the bare bones system in it. 2 pairs of "components" (mid ran full range, tweeter parallel with a cap in line). front and rear. unfortunately i didnt take any full measurements. I didnt bother since it was such a basic factory system that i figured at most, there would be a high pass filter. After checking with my DMM and some tones, i was correct. with X volume on the knob, i measured about 11.5 volts at 1khz. 100hz was about 9.5 volts if i remember correctly. 30hz was at 4.5 volts. both front and rear matched. I grabbed front because the rear didnt play bluetooth convos or chimes or prompts.

Reactions: ErinH and casey

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Im thinking(hoping) I get a good full range signal to the 6x9 in the rear deck of my accord for when I want to use CD's or radio. If not, I assume I may need to do something similar. Did you just do a shelf filter on the input eq to try and get the signal flat? If so did you have a rhyme/reason to how you arrived at the one you used or was it try it, measure at the lower freq and then readjust as needed?

·
18,697 Posts
was waiting for you lol. So this version of the car had the bare bones system in it. 2 pairs of "components" (mid ran full range, tweeter parallel with a cap in line). front and rear. unfortunately i didnt take any full measurements. I didnt bother since it was such a basic factory system that i figured at most, there would be a high pass filter. After checking with my DMM and some tones, i was correct. with X volume on the knob, i measured about 11.5 volts at 1khz. 100hz was about 9.5 volts if i remember correctly. 30hz was at 4.5 volts. both front and rear matched. I grabbed front because the rear didnt play bluetooth convos or chimes or prompts.
Understood.

What model is this vehicle? Looks like the sport ... 1.5L?

Might be worth looking in to if this one has the ability to disable the DSP like the previous gen offered on some of their higher trim levels.

·
18,697 Posts
This is my car and I am really happy with the final product. Nick was great and spent a good amount of time with me on the phone and in person answering all my questions (and I had a lot of them). This is my first system and it exceeded my expectations. So happy I didn't go to all the local shops that were just looking to throw some speakers and amps in the car, not really worrying about sound quality. Most of the other shops told me i didnt need a dsp and didnt even mention sound deadening. All but 1 shop told me i could drop the car off in the morning and it would be completed the same day where Nick was upfront and told me it would take a few days. Nick was more interested in taking his time and doing the job right. In the end it was worth the 75 mile trip each way plus rental car.
THANKS NICK!!!!
Welcome to the addiction!... I mean... hobby. ;)

Looks like you have a really great 1st system. Just enough to wanting to upgrade again down the line.

Nice car, btw! I love these new Accords. I came extremely close to buying one a couple months ago; down to the point of visiting the sales guy I did business with last time. But I decided to give myself another year and maybe pick up a 2018 at the end of this year/early next year.

Not sure if you were aware, but there's a meet in North Carolina in a few weeks. If you're down for a drive you'd surely have a fun time. I think Nick is going as well. Here's a link:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...q-meet-6-8-april-2018-near-greensboro-nc.html

·
Registered
19,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im thinking(hoping) I get a good full range signal to the 6x9 in the rear deck of my accord for when I want to use CD's or radio. If not, I assume I may need to do something similar. Did you just do a shelf filter on the input eq to try and get the signal flat? If so did you have a rhyme/reason to how you arrived at the one you used or was it try it, measure at the lower freq and then readjust as needed?
actually, another member here pointed out in another thread that when using shelf filters in the input eq on the helix, it crashes when adjusting q. so i just did a parametric band at 25 hz with a q of i think 1.5 and just boosted it 6db. when i go into the shop tomorrow i can post before/after of the subwoofer response. it wasnt even really that rolled off due to cabin gain. was a 5db rise from 25hz to 80hz. input eq got it flat, then some cutting to adjust tonality

·
Registered
19,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Simple, nice look, and effective...great job nick...

John enjoy it...was nice meeting ya and getting to talk with ya for a bit at the shop and the short ride to enterprise to drop ya off...might as well schedule the next appoinment LOL...3 way....sub off to the side in that huge trunk space...nick can fully lay out in the trunk...I witnessed it....sweet looking car that now sounds infinitely better...win win! :cool:

·
Registered
19,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
3 way....sub off to the side in that huge trunk space...nick can fully lay out in the trunk...I witnessed it.
the trunk in this car is a fabricators dream canvas :laugh:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice meeting you too and thanks for the ride. Nick already ran some speaker wire for a 3 way set up. He must know something I dont.lol
will probably enjoy the current set up for a while but I will probably be back

·
Registered
19,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice meeting you too and thanks for the ride. Nick already ran some speaker wire for a 3 way set up. He must know something I dont.lol
will probably enjoy the current set up for a while but I will probably be back
i'll give it 3 weeks before i get "that" text message. taking bets now. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts