DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
so i'm thinking i need to get new distribution blocks. the knu ones i have are only 3 fused outputs. because the mono amp accepts two 4 ga inputs, i'd like to take advantage of that, so i'm needing at least 4 fused 4 ga outputs. also, i can't stand the compression fittings that knu used to use; they're so frustrating to install. so, i see there are a few options, but they're not very affordable right now. stinger makes a couple that will work, but i'm seeing this pop up all over the place. other than the casing shape being weird, this is exactly what i'm looking for. anybody have experience with this unit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Audio-Stereo-ANL-Fuse-Holder-Distribution-0-4ga-4-Way-Fuses-Box-Block-30A/192885929734?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=8b9aa41a0eb7465c855116ed53049bd9&pid=100005&rk=11&rkt=12&sd=323455144985&itm=192885929734&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

·
Registered
515 Posts
looking good. following another nice JGC build!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
looking good. following another nice JGC build!
thanks man! your jeep was definitely used as inspiration for this build. i was thinking of cutting a hole through the spare well area like you did on my last jeep. trying to avoid metal cutting on this one since it's a lease, but if i end up purchasing it, then i'll do the same thing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Very nice woodworking!

Alternatively, you could have used fiberglass to more precisely conform to the floor contours and integrate the MDF for the side walls, etc.

Nonetheless, your methodology is something I'm exploring for my Kia Sorento since it has a similar under floor cargo space.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Very nice woodworking!

Alternatively, you could have used fiberglass to more precisely conform to the floor contours and integrate the MDF for the side walls, etc.

Nonetheless, your methodology is something I'm exploring for my Kia Sorento since it has a similar under floor cargo space.
thanks! i really wish i had more space and better tools, so this is as good as i can do with what i have. we're hoping to get our first house by eoy and i'm definitely scouting for something that has a garage or workspace. i need a table saw and router table just name a few.

you know, i did consider glassing the bottom shape. i'm comfortable with the process and have done it before. but, honestly, i really just didn't want to mess with it at this point. i'll likely end up glassing kick panels or pillars, but i'm trying to avoid doing it as much as possible. also, i kinda wanted to challenge myself on this to do it all with mdf if possible. so far i've managed to use zero screws and only a few brad nails. i might, however, give the enclosure a nice resin glaze after it's built.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
thanks! i really wish i had more space and better tools, so this is as good as i can do with what i have. we're hoping to get our first house by eoy and i'm definitely scouting for something that has a garage or workspace. i need a table saw and router table just name a few.

you know, i did consider glassing the bottom shape. i'm comfortable with the process and have done it before. but, honestly, i really just didn't want to mess with it at this point. i'll likely end up glassing kick panels or pillars, but i'm trying to avoid doing it as much as possible. also, i kinda wanted to challenge myself on this to do it all with mdf if possible. so far i've managed to use zero screws and only a few brad nails. i might, however, give the enclosure a nice resin glaze after it's built.
You and me both... :( One car garage is NOT cutting it.

Btw, did you see my table saw/router table for small spaces?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
another weekend, another progress update. it's officially hot here in phoenix now, and work conditions crappy, but i push through as much as i can. we're also trying to plan a labor day elopement up in sedona, so we've been making trips up there too which really doesn't give me much time to work on this, but i digress.

at this point, i've finished the back end of this and the front of the enclosure. i've not made any progress on the amp rack/distribution area because i'm likely going to have to get new dist blocks. i'm also shopping for threaded inserts. i've been trying the brass ones with the slot, but they're just ok. and, i can tell you that sourcing them locally is like half the price at lowes vs. home depot. if you guys have any suggestions for sourcing good/affordable threaded inserts, let me know.

as you can see, the back side that comes close to the latch i've tried to maximize as much space as possible. this lead to some weird conforming cuts and odd angle matching. i'm doing my best here, so if you see a void, don't worry, i'll likely give this at least a resin coat to seal it up.

and, on the back end of the enclosure, you can see i cut a hole for a port. my plan for this is to make it relatively modular. now i have those three 10s, but i might want to do something else in the future, so i plan on making a removable sub baffle. the only place i could put that port is along the back, so it will run parallel to that board and then turn 90 deg to port into the amp rack area. it will not be obstructed at all. i'll arrange it so that i can swap port sections to play with tuning and to potentially accommodate different subs in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
another weekend, another progress update. it's officially hot here in phoenix now, and work conditions crappy, but i push through as much as i can. we're also trying to plan a labor day elopement up in sedona, so we've been making trips up there too which really doesn't give me much time to work on this, but i digress.

at this point, i've finished the back end of this and the front of the enclosure. i've not made any progress on the amp rack/distribution area because i'm likely going to have to get new dist blocks. i'm also shopping for threaded inserts. i've been trying the brass ones with the slot, but they're just ok. and, i can tell you that sourcing them locally is like half the price at lowes vs. home depot. if you guys have any suggestions for sourcing good/affordable threaded inserts, let me know.

as you can see, the back side that comes close to the latch i've tried to maximize as much space as possible. this lead to some weird conforming cuts and odd angle matching. i'm doing my best here, so if you see a void, don't worry, i'll likely give this at least a resin coat to seal it up.

and, on the back end of the enclosure, you can see i cut a hole for a port. my plan for this is to make it relatively modular. now i have those three 10s, but i might want to do something else in the future, so i plan on making a removable sub baffle. the only place i could put that port is along the back, so it will run parallel to that board and then turn 90 deg to port into the amp rack area. it will not be obstructed at all. i'll arrange it so that i can swap port sections to play with tuning and to potentially accommodate different subs in the future.
Excellent work right there, so much detail...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
it's that time again for a progress update. thanks for sticking with me because this is admittedly slow, but i can really only work on weekend mornings. my workspace, if that's what you want to call it, is super cramped and super hot.

i decided to shift gears over to the sub enclosure for now. i still need to decided on which distribution blocks i want to use. i really like knukonceptz, but i don't like their compression fittings system. i'd do the 'bassik', but i need four 4 gauge out. it's two 4 gauge and one 0 gauge, which might work, but i'd have to split that again to feed the mono amp two 4 gauge again, which is a little redundant. let me know what you guys think, because i'm also looking at the stinger shd blocks.

anyway, after doing some calculation, it seems like an 11" x 4" port will work for this airspace and a tuning frequency of about 29hz. you can't see it in the pics, but i did use my dremel to create a flair one each end of the port. i've also left enough space in case i need to use couplers and play with different extensions in case this doesn't work they way in want it to.

i really wanted to make a removable baffle, but it just really seems like way more trouble than what it's worth. these 10's are about 1/2" from the bottom, so i doubt any 12s or 15 would even fit height-wise. so, instead, im leaning towards a permanent baffle. as you can see, it's two-ish layers thick of 3/4" mdf. i decided to make the bottom/inner layer more like a skeleton frame to reduce a little weight and increase a little airspace. there is a small brace that fits around the port that acts as a baffle brace, and i've also built another brace that sits in between the middle and right side subs, so the baffle will be super stiff. i had to use liquid nails to get the port/brace installed. i rough-cut the inner baffle with a jigsaw and started using the router to trim it out, but it was taking too long, and it was super hot, so i said fuck it, nobody's going to see this except you guys. i decided not to finish that as you can still see the rough cut; oh well.

oh, and it was my first attempt at making circles with my router and haven't yet purchased a jasper jig, so i made a temporary jig. i thought the slot would work, but the screw/washer just slid, so i had to drill holes. they're not perfect, but better than the jigsaw. the first inner hole i made was slightly too small, so i dremmel-ed out little notches for the basket spokes and it falls right into place, secure and snug.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
sorry for the delay on this thread. it was too hot to work on my patio for most of the summer, and i got married, so this took a back seat.

i'm back at it now and have more pics to upload soon. enclosure and subs are wrapped in carpet and installed in the jeep and they fit perfectly and look great. i'm finishing up the amp rack now and was intending to use some techflex material to dress up the wiring. what diameter/size do you recommend for 0 and 4 gauge power wire?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
sorry for the delay on this thread. it was too hot to work on my patio for most of the summer, and i got married, so this took a back seat.

i'm back at it now and have more pics to upload soon. enclosure and subs are wrapped in carpet and installed in the jeep and they fit perfectly and look great. i'm finishing up the amp rack now and was intending to use some techflex material to dress up the wiring. what diameter/size do you recommend for 0 and 4 gauge power wire?
C'mon man, women come and go, this is a once in a lifetime audio build!! :p :D

J/k, congrats!!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
thanks dude! she definitely is a keeper. she not only allows me to annex the entirety of the patio for my 'workshop', she let me take the second bedroom to keep all my musical equipment, something to the tune of 20+ guitars, a drumset, and tons of speakers. also, she's beautiful, so.... yeah, not looking to change things in that department any time soon.

hey, did you get that trackhawk?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
thanks dude! she definitely is a keeper. she not only allows me to annex the entirety of the patio for my 'workshop', she let me take the second bedroom to keep all my musical equipment, something to the tune of 20+ guitars, a drumset, and tons of speakers. also, she's beautiful, so.... yeah, not looking to change things in that department any time soon.

hey, did you get that trackhawk?
Sounds great, man! Enjoy married life!

I am gonna sell this Jeep first and then order a new Trackhawk...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
wow, i can't wait to see what you do with that thing. being 4x4, though, won't you have to keep the spare? in my overland i was concerned about removing the spare for that reason, unless you'll be relying on roadside assistance. i fully expect an awesome build log for that, though.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
wow, i can't wait to see what you do with that thing. being 4x4, though, won't you have to keep the spare? in my overland i was concerned about removing the spare for that reason, unless you'll be relying on roadside assistance. i fully expect an awesome build log for that, though.
I haven't really thought about what I will do with it... Something out of the ordinary for sure though. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing more pics of your build.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
yeah man, the amp rack is almost done and i hope to upload some more pics soon.

i think some metal cutting is in the future for you, eh, eh?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
yeah man, the amp rack is almost done and i hope to upload some more pics soon.

i think some metal cutting is in the future for you, eh, eh?
I wouldn't mind a little of that... :p

21 - 40 of 109 Posts