DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
thanks man, i'm trying my best with this project. and i'm curious too; i didn't see anybody using them, no reviews, nothing. so, i figured i'd take a chance on them. personally, i love the way they look and their form factor is perfect for this install.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Nice Build! The install look super clean. Were those knukoncepts distribution blocks a pita? They were in my car lol.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
honestly, yes, they've always been a pita. i understand the logic of why the compression fittings are used, but they are not fun to install. i re-used them because that's what i had, but you uncovered part of my next phase. i'm likely going to have to buy new blocks and just know that it will be much easier. for starters, i'll probably have to modify the amp rack because wire-routing is really cramped. also, those compression fittings will not fit through the holes i've drilled. so, getting new blocks is on the list and part of the shopping cart that i can't yet pull the trigger on, as previously mentioned.

·
Registered
518 Posts
honestly, yes, they've always been a pita. i understand the logic of why the compression fittings are used, but they are not fun to install. i re-used them because that's what i had, but you uncovered part of my next phase. i'm likely going to have to buy new blocks and just know that it will be much easier. for starters, i'll probably have to modify the amp rack because wire-routing is really cramped. also, those compression fittings will not fit through the holes i've drilled. so, getting new blocks is on the list and part of the shopping cart that i can't yet pull the trigger on, as previously mentioned.
Thats funny, same thing happened to me. I re-used them in a build because I didn't want to shell out the extra money on new ones. Every time I swap something out, I ask myself why I re-used them. However, they are relatively cheap compared to other products like SMD & Stinger.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #86

·
Registered
518 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Really nice build! I have a 2015 Overland I plan on starting a build on after the NY, so this is great inspiration!

I really like the formed grills out of the guitar amp mesh. Interesting, I worked at Fender back in early 2000's. Curious if Kimbo is still around? Can PM me if you would rather

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Really nice build! I have a 2015 Overland I plan on starting a build on after the NY, so this is great inspiration!

I really like the formed grills out of the guitar amp mesh. Interesting, I worked at Fender back in early 2000's. Curious if Kimbo is still around? Can PM me if you would rather
thanks man, i'd love to see what you do with your overland. there's alot of wk2 projects here.

awesome, i really like it here at fmic. and yes, kimbo is still here down in r/d. i don't have any interaction with him being that i'm in sales operations, so i doubt he knows who i am.

·
Registered
59 Posts
hopefully I'll be able to start right after the holidays. I have all of my gear except for DSP.
I made a 3D scan of the entire dash and pillars and plan to 3D print custom pods for 3" TB Bamboos to sit on the dash. Once I have the design done, I'd be more than happy to give the CAD model to anyone with a WK2 for free to print themselves if they/you want.

Yeah, Fender was a fun place! Sent you a PM regarding Kimbo.

thanks man, i'd love to see what you do with your overland. there's alot of wk2 projects here.

awesome, i really like it here at fmic. and yes, kimbo is still here down in r/d. i don't have any interaction with him being that i'm in sales operations, so i doubt he knows who i am.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Dude, this thing looks better and better!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a WK2 as well, had a shop cobble together a horrible version of what you have. Essentially it’s exactly what you have, minus all attention to detail! So, you’ve inspired me to rebuild this year. I’d really like to go away from 3 10’s though and maybe a single 13w7 or a Focal 13 in a ported or even band pass box maybe? I need more depth in that tub! Keep it up brother, this looks amazing.
First though I’m redoing my front stage with 3 way. Was thinking about 3D printing some speaker adapters for the front doors with 6.5 and 3.5 mounts with a small enclosure built in for the 3.5 and then maybe re-working the tweeter locations for aiming.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
hey man, glad i could help re-inspire you. i could use some that myself sometimes, haha!

if you plan on keeping a setup in the floor and having it remain stock/stealth looking, you're going to have a hard time getting many 12's to fit, depth-wise. i have maybe an inch of clearance on these 10s as it is. if i weren't leasing this currently, i'd cut the bottom out like a couple guys have done and have somebody weld and extension enclosure in there. in fact, i may still do this if i end up purchasing this and lease end because removing the spare still doesn't sit well with me and if i can cut some metal, i can accommodate a system and retain the spare.

your 3 way idea sounds unique as i don't recall seeing any others do that. i'd be concerned about redundancy, though, as a decent 6.5 should cover most of the spectrum that the 3.5 would do. for that reason, and a few others, putting the 3.5's up in the pillars would be better. that being said, the door location isn't actually too bad for midrange and i'm toying with the idea of putting a larger mid in the doors, and then making some hefty kick panels for midbass. the stock tweeter location is fairly ideal and it doesn't really make sense to fabricate anything beyond what's already there.

anyway, good luck and i'd love to see a build log of yours as well.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
also, general update: i've been quietly working on things when i can, but the holidays weren't ideal. it actually was quite cold and rainy here in phoenix and my workspace is subject to the elements, so nothing could really be done. after a few test installs, i realized i needed to make some practical updates as the hinged amp rack was causing some wires to bunch/pinch. so, i've had to cut some routing channels to help feed the wires. i also have had to re-think and re-work the amp trim panel.

i've spent the last couple weekends working on more metal forming for the grills. the fact that the outer two amp grills didn't match the same hole pattern as the middle one was bothering me, so i had enough material to re-press those to match. also, i made 3 grills for the subs. i wasn't so lucky on my first attempt here as the first one was too big, so i had to re-route my jig and make it smaller. i just finished all three grills last night and they should work perfectly. the trim panel is cut and routed for the sub grills. but, because it sits flush on the baffle, i had to route a section on the back side for the grills to mount flush and not poke into the sub surrounds.

i've not wired anything up yet, partly for the reason already mentioned, and partly because i needed to purchase a bunch of small odds/ends,etc. i also realized that i needed to modify the rca terminal as they were getting pinched by the seats in their furthest reclined position, so that's been changed.

i'll try to be more productive in the coming months and hopefully get this things wired up and functional.

Attachments

81 - 94 of 94 Posts