DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've lurked both this forum and Mustang6g for a while and am currently looking into putting in a 3 way active setup to add to my rear facing Dayton Audio 12" HO in a Zenclosure.

I currently have 0 gauge OFC running to a Precision Power 900.5 amp. I intend to probably add another budget amp (NVX, PrecisionPower, or something else with bang for the buck) and run a Dayton Audio 408 dsp.

I can't afford a full AudioFrog GB setup, but I'd love to run ~1" tweeters, ~3.5" midranges, and ~6.5" woofers for the front stage at hopefully less than $400.

I'll be completing the build with Resonix Sound Deadening and foam around the drivers.

Thanks for any and all help.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Im currently running gb10, faital pro 3” neo mids (amazing for like $40 - they fit right in the stock mount) and keep trying different mids....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
547 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is great info! Thanks so much I've actually bookmarked your build thread and learned quite a bit from it. How many watts are you putting through the Faital Pro's?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
This is great info! Thanks so much I've actually bookmarked your build thread and learned quite a bit from it. How many watts are you putting through the Faital Pro's?
I'm running them on Zapco LX 6 x 150 - they'll never actually receive that kind of power in actual music though... I'm swapping them out for a pair of AudioFrog GB25 in a couple of weeks actually. Might be available for sale already setup in the mounting kit for plug-and-play cheap if you're interested ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
What year Mustang ? You will get more midbass-midrange response from an equal quality 6x8 than a 6.5". IDK about the above comment the stock door woofers will handle 100 watts RMS. Mine say 25 watts RMS on the magnet. I am using a JBL Stadium 3 way component set and loving them. 6x8's, 2.5" domes, and .75" domes.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
My stock 6x8 paper cone Ford woofers did too F150Man but they are very efficient so on music they may not have seen an average power rating of more than 25 watts (but just guessing) even though the amplifier is capable of more than 100 wpc and that rating could more likely represent the coils thermal capacity too. These may also be rated at 25 watts without consideration that there was a HP filter applied with a 24 db slope at 80 Hz, which significantly reduces power demand compared to without.

Once I switched to the C5 5x7 mids though I noticed that in comparison the stock Ford 6x8 mids couldn't quit hold their composure at very high volumes in comparison. Still at average listening levels those stock 6x8 midwoofers sounded great with DSP intervention and amplifier power and they were one of the easiest mids I ever had to EQ in a two way active system. The C5 midwoofers on the other hand are horrible to EQ to my target curve.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm running them on Zapco LX 6 x 150 - they'll never actually receive that kind of power in actual music though... I'm swapping them out for a pair of AudioFrog GB25 in a couple of weeks actually. Might be available for sale already setup in the mounting kit for plug-and-play cheap if you're interested ;)
I'd be interested in taking them off your hands. Especially if you can throw in some recommendations on stuff that will install in our doors with minimal hacking and clearancing. I plan to sound treat the doors to help with midbass and go full active, so no worry about crossovers.

What year Mustang ? You will get more midbass-midrange response from an equal quality 6x8 than a 6.5". IDK about the above comment the stock door woofers will handle 100 watts RMS. Mine say 25 watts RMS on the magnet. I am using a JBL Stadium 3 way component set and loving them. 6x8's, 2.5" domes, and .75" domes.
It's a 2018 so the doors have a ~1" tweeter, ~3.5" mid and a ~6.5" woofer.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'd be interested in taking them off your hands. Especially if you can throw in some recommendations on stuff that will install in our doors with minimal hacking and clearancing. I plan to sound treat the doors to help with midbass and go full active, so no worry about crossovers.

It's a 2018 so the doors have a ~1" tweeter, ~3.5" mid and a ~6.5" woofer.
Actually, that depends on which sound system the Mustang came with, but yes, could have the 6.5". Too bad it isn't the 6x9 woofers in front doors that some have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, that depends on which sound system the Mustang came with, but yes, could have the 6.5". Too bad it isn't the 6x9 woofers in front doors that some have.

You're right. I was oversimplifying. The base systems (like my old 2015 had) are just tweeter and woofer at the doors/A-pillars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts