DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a small upgrade compared to many amazing ofinstalls documented here. And it was done by a local car audio installer - I do not have place nor time to perform such work. However SQ improvement is significant and car is "interesting" so I thought it was worth sharing.

The idea was to use relatively small amount of power and keep as many stock elements as possible. This kept the budget under control. NB. Install including equipment amounted to 500 euros (Germany).

The Bose system sounded ok, but when I was getting in my partner's Prius with Focal 2 way (165 FX) , Pioneer Avh z 9200 HU - network
mode, u-dimension jr300.4 amp and some no name 2 channel amp bridged driving 8 " Hertz sub in self fabricated 40 L closed box, I was feeling jealous. The Prius set up costed twice as much as Leaf's , even though the amps were already mine.

Side note - I found Leaf's Bose system better than Prius' JBL (in Europe Toyota's of don't have a sub)

Prius allows you to install 2din HU. Not the same story with the new Leaf. I am sure it is doable - some YT videos show that the unit behind the screen has a 2 din size. But the screen is oversized and there are 360 cameras plus some useful EV specific info screens you would lose. You lose some info if you replace the Prius HU, but it is not that big of a deal. And there are no dash kits for a new Leaf.

On the positive side - Leaf's HU is a Clarion appliance (some heritage ) and is both CarPlay and Android Auto compatible.

My thinking was that I would upgrade the woofers in the front doors (6.5 ") and tweeters in a pillars (3/4") and add a powered sub leaving Bose amp to run Front and Rear. I assumed that a major point - TA - was solved by Bose amp/DSP and that crossovers and EQ would work with new parts.

Since Bose system is low impedance (2 Ohm for the components) I looked for something in this region. I ended up with Etons POW 160.2 (3 Ohm) components. My concern was that the volume would drop significantly. Spoiler - not the case.

Bose tweeters are 3/4" while Etons are 1" , but there is enough space on the inside to fit a bigger unit . Some gluing and trimming is required. 6.5 cm deep woofers slide in factory openings with a help of standard adapter rings.

For the sub, I opted for an Alpine SWE 815 powered dvc sub. It is small, efficient (10 Amp fuse) and has good reviews. You can have it slot ported or closed thanks to a piece of wood clad in material matching the rest of the enclosure.

Today was the install day. What I found out was that Bose tweeters have capacitators so the system is not fully active. The subwoofer channel goes to w Hi to Lo converter and then sub is connected with RCA. Converter has auto sensing and runs a remote cable to the Alpine. We had to turn gains on the converter low - does that mean that Bose amp has some sub power? Stock sub is a transmission line with a 5" and something driver. Not enough output for my taste. On

Power cable runs to the 12 V battery - Leaf is just like any car in that respect.

First listening impressions are GOOD. Without breaking in, the Etons sound much livelier across the FR. Clearer highs, mids are more pronounced. Sub adds a very pleasant foundation. I find ported a bit "warmer" than closed and I stick with that. SPL of the sub is much higher than before the upgrade. Transients are better as well.

I did measurements in REW before the upgrade and will do the same with install finished to see how subjective observations match with objective tests

I am tempted now to replace the Eton twitters with Morels MT 230 that are dusting in the basement.

And for a reason someone maybe can explain - when you fade to front you lose subwoofer output. I expect it has to do with limited number of AMP/DSP channels?

Until the next upgrade :)

Best

Michal

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X605F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And here are the measurements - Black - before, Blue after, 1/12 smoothing applied. Happy to hear your feedback, comments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And some other measurements with ported vs. closed sub. Gains adjusted. Black curve is Bose stock, green is ported sub and the last color (I am colourblind ) is sealed. Comparing to previous measurements bass region is not overwhelming higher frequencies. Sealed box has a smoother response. Maybe I should start liking it more than ported :). DSP would be helpful - can't high pass the woofers in front. The play down to at least 50 Hz.

Bose, Ported, sealed.jpg

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X605F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another update. Based on measurements I ran Auto EQ in REW. With 2 options - first with cabin gain assumed and only 2 band PEQ

Another without cabin gain and with more PEQ bands.
IMG_8420.jpg

The reason being i found 2 apps that can PEQ my music on CarPlay. First one is called VOX and is better integrated with streaming services - you can stream your playlists from Spotify and play Apple Music files you own. It appears in CarPlay apps too! On the downside - PEQ is limited - 2 bands and Q only up to 3.

The other is called Equalizer and has more (I think 7 PEQ bands with bigger gain control). Unfortunately you can't sync it with your Spotify playlist. It sees only the songs you own on Apple device.

Anyway that is a very cheap alternative to buying DSP. Bass is much less boomy now - as I focused on the LF EQing for no. Just need to figure out a way to do measurements with EQ done on the phone via REW on my Mac :) Any ideas how this can be done? To play test tone from a different device than measuring mic is plugged in? Best. M

1 - 5 of 5 Posts