DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Hope you are keeping well.

I'm looking to upgrade the Bose sound system in my 2018 Porsche Panamera Turbo S E-hybrid keeping the 710w/14ch Bose amp and replace tweeters, center, doors mid-range, surround speakers and the subwoofer.

I'm leaning towards this configuration:

2 x Dash Tweeters: Morel MT-350, Dynaudio Esotec MT171, Xcelsus XXT30, Morel Supremo Piccolo
1 x Center Speaker: Audison AV3.0, Hertz MP70.3, Burmester 971035415C (direct fitment)
2 x Front Doors Midrange: Audison AP4 or Burmester 971035415C or Xcelsus xxm325
2 x Rear Doors Tweeters: Burmester 971035412, JL C5-075CT, Audison AV1.1 (direct fitment)
2 x Surround Speakers: Audison AV3.0 or Burmester 971035415C or Hertz MP 70.3
1 x Subwoofer: Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-8

Rennspec recommends the MD102 tweeters but these are 8 ohms and Bose I think are 4 ohms. If ohms are not a problem for tweeters I would go for one of the best, Morel Supremo Piccolo. Question is if Bose amp is able to move these hifi tweeters properly, I mean to get 3x better sound than using Audison AV1.1 for example?

I've seen that Esotec MT171 are 4 ohms which might be better matched, what do you think?

I would go for Burmester surround speakers and tweeters in the rear doors for direct fitment but maybe Audison/Hertz sound much better than Burmester. Could you tell if there is a big difference?

I could get hifi midrange speakers like DYN/Morel/Focal, but the 710-watt Bose amp in the Panamera might work too hard powering them. The Bose door woofers I read that are not that bad so I'm gonna keep them for now.

Please give me some suggestions of what I should buy for the best sound.

Thank you.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hello
First off, I’m a retired ASE master auto tech with Porsche , Ford , GMC and countless other German car makers,
If you only change out the speakers, you will 100% have a negative outcome with your sound system, Porsche spend millions to design the sound systems in their cars,
The HU and amps along with the speakers are designed to work together, the amps have dsp and eq settings built into the amps, and each model is painlessly designed to work for the car that they are installed in,
Each car has a different setup made just for the car that they are in and each part of that system is sound tested for just that car, each model of cars have very different sound setups for the dsp/eq settings, and if you change just 1 part of that system, you will harm the sound .
If your going to change the sound system, I would tell you to leave the head unit, change all the amps and all the speakers. Get a high end dsp system so you can setup the speakers and amps properly.

·
Registered
304 Posts
So I'd say you're wasting your time investing lots in the drivers only to run them with the Bose amp.

Cheeky tweeter upgrade, sure. However I'd reach for a Nav-V and helix V twelve before getting to caught up on which expensive tweeter etc.

·
Registered
2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS
13 Posts
I’ve replaced the tweeters and center channel in my 13 cayenne with peerless tweeters and a faital pro 3 inch center. It sounds better, but still lacking. I’ve also changed out the subwoofer with an image dynamics IDQS-8, and a toro tech mr-3 amp. Again it’s better but still not great. I’m now in the process of getting morel elate carbon 3 way components for the front, replacing the Bose amp with a Mobridge 8.1.1 amp and building a new sub enclosure under the spare for a JL 10tw3. There are some frequency gaps with the Bose processing that are problematic and their stock speakers are harsh. Hopefully this latest upgrade does the trick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you only change out the speakers, you will 100% have a negative outcome with your sound system, Porsche spend millions to design the sound systems in their cars,
I don't know how much Porsche spent on Bose sound system but to me there's no difference in sound quality compared to a friend VW Arteon costing 4x less.
I took out the fancy grilles and the speakers are same old cheap paper speakers everybody who got Bose complains about.

Cheeky tweeter upgrade, sure. However I'd reach for a Nav-V and helix V twelve before getting to caught up on which expensive tweeter etc.
You might be right but I won't change the amp now because few Macan and 911 owners only replaced tweeters/midrange and got a nice SQ improvement. The Bose problem is distortion after 60% volume, it sounds fatiguing and Porsche owners say its because of cheap tweeters.

I already spent 100k on a car, 1k for few speakers won't be a problem.

This configuration has been tested to sound good:

2 x Dash Tweeters: Xcelsus XXT30 (@Ge0 praised the sound quality of these tweeters without tunning)
1 x Center Speaker: Hertz MP70.3 (@santirx tested both Hertz and Burmester in his Macan and noticed that Hertz sounds more refined)
2 x Front Doors Midrange: Burmester 971035415C
2 x Rear Doors Tweeters: Burmester 971035412
2 x Surround Speakers: Burmester 971035415C
1 x Subwoofer: Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-8 (this subwoofer should improve the bass kick, there's none from Bose subwoofer)

What can go wrong here?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I do hope it works out for you, I know that if you put higher end drivers in it, you will get some improvements, but not has much as the speakers could achieve

·
Registered
304 Posts
You might be right but I won't change the amp now because few Macan and 911 owners only replaced tweeters/midrange and got a nice SQ improvement. The Bose problem is distortion after 60% volume, it sounds fatiguing and Porsche owners say its because of cheap tweeters.

I already spent 100k on a car, 1k for few speakers won't be a problem.

This configuration has been tested to sound good:

2 x Dash Tweeters: Xcelsus XXT30 (@Ge0 praised the sound quality of these tweeters without tunning)
1 x Center Speaker: Hertz MP70.3 (@santirx tested both Hertz and Burmester in his Macan and noticed that Hertz sounds more refined)
2 x Front Doors Midrange: Burmester 971035415C
2 x Rear Doors Tweeters: Burmester 971035412
2 x Surround Speakers: Burmester 971035415C
1 x Subwoofer: Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-8 (this subwoofer should improve the bass kick, there's none from Bose subwoofer)

What can go wrong here?
Yeah I have the MD102 in my 911, and designed the mounts that RennSpec use. Tweeters, specifically soft dome ones, do take the edge off the system. If the Panamera is like the 911, it won't have a dedicated crossover or amp channel for the tweeter, just a simple cap giving a 6dB slope.

Swapping the bose drivers out for burmester seems easy enough, although I'd just have bought a Burmester car to start with. I'd however keep the same midrange unit across L-C-R to ensure the same voice / timbre across the sound stage.

Doubt that RF sub will work well if you're keeping the bose amp to power it, often the OEM drivers are really low impedance to extract loads from the tiny class D amp.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
why dont you also change Amp, then majority of your issues will go away, you will have free hands to set your system as you like away from Porsches setup/eq/..limitations. this should not be too big expendature based on cars cost, but yeah, price of the systems goes up because of all that....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I have the MD102 in my 911, and designed the mounts that RennSpec use. Tweeters, specifically soft dome ones, do take the edge off the system. If the Panamera is like the 911, it won't have a dedicated crossover or amp channel for the tweeter, just a simple cap giving a 6dB slope.
The BOSE® Surround Sound System features 14 amplifier channels and offers a total output of 710 watts. Fourteen speakers including a 160-watt passive subwoofer box ensure a balanced, faithfully reproduced acoustic pattern.

I suppose tweeters have their own channel in new Bose systems. A Macan owner noticed that speakers are not bridged anymore.

Swapping the bose drivers out for burmester seems easy enough, although I'd just have bought a Burmester car to start with. I'd however keep the same midrange unit across L-C-R to ensure the same voice / timbre across the sound stage.
The price of the car was too good to say no even with Bose sound.

Makes sense, I should use either Audison or Burmester OEM for mid-range, same manufacturer for rear door tweeters.

I’ll order one of each to test which sounds better to me.

Doubt that RF sub will work well if you're keeping the bose amp to power it, often the OEM drivers are really low impedance to extract loads from the tiny class D amp.
The RF has same power and impedance as Bose sub, 160 watts and 2ohms.

why dont you also change Amp, then majority of your issues will go away, you will have free hands to set your system as you like away from Porsches setup/eq/..limitations.
I don’t listen to loud music and I’m not looking for more power.
The Bose system is not that bad but it lacks details at low volume and when you turn it to max its a lot of distortions, I blame the speakers for that.

It annoys me that music sounds better in my AMG GT with Burmester (not the high end). I can feel the bass in my chest if I turn up the volume and its highs are more crisp.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'd say give it a go then.

I can't find a wiring diagram for the 971 rather than 970. Looking at the amplifier tho, I suspect it's short on pins for what you think it is. Its burmester counterpart has two of the connectors the Bose runs.

Let us know how you get on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts