DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so it has been a long time since I paid attention to the audio world and so much has changed and many new brands. I am looking at starting off slow as my truck cost me a bit and bills are tight with daughters and grand kids. My plan is to start with the door speakers first and progress from there. I am looking at JBL and Cerwin-Vega currently but I am wondering what all is out there that is budget oriented. I have seen some NVX speakers that I was wondering about and there is always the kicker and rockfords available.

I am looking for suggestions and experiences with any of these brands as to compare them with other items out today. I have a 2018 Silverado CC Z71 with 7"? maybe 8" with out the bose system. I took the front screen off the radio and i had a gray power plug and the green speaker plug which leads me to think it is the 8" unless I have read wrong.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Congrats on the new truck! I have an 2018 GMC Sierra myself. Mine has the Bose system so it’s a little different than yours. What are your stock speaker sizes and locations? Also, what’s your budget? That’s gonna help people help you.

Have you searched any of the build logs for similar vehicles to yours? There’s been quite a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starting out for just door speakers I am figuring around 400$ and as far as I know there are 2.75" in dash and 6.5 rear door and 6x9 front door.

Yes have searched and searched and have about 6 tabs up know from here and other sites still reading and looking.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Kenwood makes a great 7" + 3.5" component set that should fit in place of the 6x9's and might make the 3.5" mid/tweeter fit. 5 Star Car Stereo uses them a lot and everyone seems to love them. They claim the best midbass for doors at rated power.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Kenwood makes a great 7" + 3.5" component set that should fit in place of the 6x9's and might make the 3.5" mid/tweeter fit. 5 Star Car Stereo uses them a lot and everyone seems to love them. They claim the best midbass for doors at rated power.
Which model are those? The excelon?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have the Excelon KFC-XP6903C (6x9 and 3.5" component set) in my 2018 Challenger and love the speakers - especially considering the price. They also have a KFC-XP6902C (6x9 and 2.5" component set) if you need smaller speakers for the dash.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the Excelon KFC-XP6903C (6x9 and 3.5" component set) in my 2018 Challenger and love the speakers - especially considering the price. They also have a KFC-XP6902C (6x9 and 2.5" component set) if you need smaller speakers for the dash.
Thanks. I’ll look into these. Like the OP I’m trying to decide on my new front stage

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you do anything besides change out the speakers?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Did you do anything besides change out the speakers?
Yes. I also installed a DSP, which can make a huge difference. Originally, I used a Rockford Fosgate DSR-1 and eventually I got a tune on it that sounded pretty good, but it took me forever to get it right. THen I upgraded to a Helix DSP.3. The Helix DSP.3 is more flexible, more powerful and just a higher-quality device.

So yes - my results are with a DSP using active crossovers - these speakers allow you to use the inline crossover network as well as bypass it completely (the 6x9 midbass even has a separate connection to bypass it's low-pass filter).

·
Registered
843 Posts
If you are going to add a DSP, I'd go with coaxials - that way you have the choice of using them as "full range" speakers (like if you had passengers back there) or as "rear fill" speakers (band-passed and volume-reduced).

If no DSP, then you need to decide if you want full-range audio coming from the back speakers or band-limited audio. Or, you could just get coaxials and keep the fader set to the front unless you had passengers - that way they'd be there and sound good for rear passengers when you need them and you could basically "disable" them when there are no rear passengers.

Also, a lot of it depends on whether or not you like having rear speakers. For me, I tried it with fronts only (in a car) and didn't like it - I need some sort of rear-fill/rear-speakers.

·
Registered
223 Posts
3.5" aren't a direct fit in the dash with out cutting and modifying.
Audiofrog makes a direct fit 2.5" wideband GS25 that sound fantastic, and would pair great with the GS60's (6.5") or the GS690 (6×9). I have done a couple of these builds in these trucks and in my personal '17 Sierra. I have a build log a GM truck with the GS25 and GS60.
With a $400 budget for the front speakers, I would also HIGHLY recommend looking at Morel as well. They are Fantastic!

Best of luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was looking at spend 400$ on all 6 speakers total not 400 on just the front.

I have an old kicker 10" CVR that was given to me a while back. I have been thinking about just getting a t harness from LLJ customs and buying an amp and just running with it until I get a better ideal of what I am wanting in the speakers. As it is there are so many thing that I have been reading it is making it harder to make a decision as I want clean sound but I also want my bass back that I had when I was younger but I have to keep the usefulness of under seat storage and I have 2 kids and a grand kid that ride with me all the time so limits taking out seats or anything.

I am having surgery to repair my back where my vertebrae is broken so like I had stated before about this being a slow build and mainly trying to get ideals.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Don’t buy from llj customs there shit. Lots of people getting screwed over by them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I seen on YouTube where the five star car stereo had built one and showed how to build it. Has anyone used their video and built a loop back type harness or a t harness?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts