DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing this build since last June now. 4 subs, 6 amps and a bunch of speakers later I'm finally getting where I want to be... I actually love my current sub, new model SSA Icon. But I just wanted more output, didnt need it, wanted it. So I have a Resilient Sounds Platinum 12" about to go in.

Heres a list of the items I have. Some still need to be installed while some are already in the truck. Figured I'd post some pictures of the trucks evolution...

-SSA 320amp Small Case HO Alt
- Big 3 1/0awg OFC

-PAC Ap4-gm61 Amp Pro
- Dayton Audio DSP-408

- Tang Band 25-2176s Tweeters
- SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35 6.5s
- NVX NSP65 Coaxials
- Memphis 2.75" (Dash Speakers)

- Sundown SD3 12" (1st sub)
- Soundqubed HDS3.1 12" (2nd sub, now in my Terrain Denali)
- SSA Icon 12" (Currently installed)
- Resilient Sounds Platinum 12" (Going into new enclosure this weekend)

- Memphis SRX2.150 (Ran coaxials)
- JBL GTR1001 (1st subwoofer amp)
- Soundqubed S1.1250 (Current sub amp)
- Skar LP-80.4ABV2 (Installed)
- Wolfram C90.4 (Waiting to be installed)
- Wolfram C-2400 (Waiting to be installed)

Now pictures... 1st of my new Center Console Enclosure then the rest of the truck...

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pics, exterior of truck... When I get home from work in the morning I'll put together a detailed start to where I am now set of pictures, didn't take as.many pics as I'd like but I have enough to show the evolution of my build, just wanting to get back into audio with a small system to wanting more to being a full blown addict again!!

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Very cool, definitely digging the raised console lid!

From the looks of the cup holder section, will you be retaining some of the OEM plugs (USB, 120V, etc)? How about the wireless charging pad? I always like it when people can incorporate those factory features in to custom fabrication, just interesting to me I guess.

Good luck with the rest of the build!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's about 50lbs and with the sub another 70lbs so 120lbs and it's made to sit on floor correctly so I dont even have to secure it really... but I am anyway, either by using the existing hardware, going to slide some wood under carpet, mount wood to floor with hardware, then L brackets ro attach console to wood...

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
It's about 50lbs and with the sub another 70lbs so 120lbs and it's made to sit on floor correctly so I dont even have to secure it really... but I am anyway, either by using the existing hardware, going to slide some wood under carpet, mount wood to floor with hardware, then L brackets ro attach console to wood...
I pulled apart a jump seat and I have to modify the bracket. It's going to be a pain

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so heres the truck from the start till now...

I bought it brand new in May 2018, in June I installed a Sundown SD3 12" using a prefab underseat ported enclosure. Sub was powered by a JBL GTR1001 and I was using an Audiocontrol Lc2i for signal. It sounded pretty good, but my chimes were amplified which was sooooo annoying!

Then I found my old Hifonics Warrior amp and a set of CDT CL6 components so I decided to install them... Well apparently there was something wrong with the Hifonics amp and it was causing my Lc2i to smoke so I unhooked it.... Ended up picking up a cheap Memphis SRX2.150 to replace the Hifonics.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are correct about retaining, but actually none of those slots are for them, lol. From left to right the cutouts are for my Dayton Audio DSP-408 remote, The 3 circle faceplate is for 3 Halo power switches that will run back to my Sparked Innovations RBX-4CH relay and will control my LEDs and some other components and the last cutout is for my voltmeter.

My USBs from my jump seat console are mounted in the compartment & the wireless charging is custom on the new enclosure, I didnt have that feature on my truck. But the stock wireless chargers didnt work for my phone anyway, I have a Note 8 which is too big. So this wireless charger is cutout a bit bigger than my phone, but its same shape so it fits nice, but will accompany a bigger phone for upgrading in future or other ppl that use it in the truck.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2nd Phase August-September 2018

Added Memphis SRX2.150, put in a set of never used NVX NSP65 coaxials in the front doors, sounded really good. Then swapped stock dash speakers for Memphis 15-PRX275s full range speakers. I ran them off HU, def upgrade, not great but amped I bet they'd sound pretty good.

Well after about 2 months I decided I didn't have enough bass, figured after a 10 year absence n getting older I wouldn't need the crazy loud... well even after 10 years when your used to 145db daily drivers not just anything will do... but I still wanted to be economical & I had to get a new enclosure too. I wouldn't be able to stay under the seat for what I wanted. So I picked up a Soundqubed HDS3.1 12" & a S1.1250 to power it...

I was also sick of the loud chimes & Lc2i at this point. The Dayton Audio DSP-408 had just came out so I pulled trigger on that. Well now I have to go active so I then bought SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35 mids & Tang Band 25-2176s tweeters... But then the next problem, lack of clean signal from stock HU. Well wouldnt ya know that's when the Pac Ap4-gm61 Amp Pro got released as well so I said screw it n grabbed that up too! TBH the Amp Pro is the single best purchase I made for this system, it's what enables every other piece of equipment to function at it's best, the way it was meant to.

Here's that phase of install...Sound deadening rear wall, amp rack, new sub & enclosure...Also upgraded my toolbox & bought a ton of stuff to make install easier/cleaner.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Phase 3: October- November 2018

I was pretty satisfied at this point. Bass was much better, having the sub not crammed under the seat & a properly built to spec enclosure made all the difference.

But I still needed to install my new mids & highs, do a proper tune. Was a lot left to do. So 1st I decided to do my Big 3 with 1/0awg OFC. Then I decided I wanted to upgrade my speaker wire, so I ran all new 14awg OFC from my front doors to amp. At this time I started talking to Aaron Clinton (SSA) a lot, I had purchased a bunch of NVX X series RCAs off him & there was a problem with shipping cost, he personally responded to me n took care of it and some. From there we hit it off, he told me how they had to switch build houses after the falling out with Fi & that they were finally making head way & that the Icon would be getting re released again shortly. I always loved SSA subs, and he said if I was interested hed take care of me... well that's all I needed to hear. My fiance wanted a sub in our new Terrain Denali that she drives so that was an excuse for me to yet again upgrade my sub, lol!

So here we are in late October, have had the truck for not even 6 months & I was putting in my 3rd different sub! And I wasnt disappointed! The HDS3.1 sounded really good, it got really loud & actually sounded quite clean. Still say for the $140 price tag you're gonna be hard pressed to find a better sub, and 1 that will eat 1200+ watts all day long. But obviously it just couldnt compete with the Icon, apples to oranges.

I also was in the market for a USB mic at this time. I had been wanting 1 since I got my DSP, I bought 1 of the Dayton iMM6 mics but wasnt sold on how accurate it really was, more bc of having to use the cell phone. I really wanted the Audiofrog Umi-1 USB kit since #1 its Audiofrog so you know its quality, but bc it was a complete tuning kit, not just a USB mic. It was the complete tuning guide & at $200 it was a great price. But I wanted to hold off bc I remember seeing Andy doing a 25% off special early in the year so I figured I'd wait till Black Friday in case he dis something similar. Thankfully I was patient and was able to pick it up for $149!!

So heres some pics of this phase... I also decided to try n wrap my enclosure in carbon fiber viynl... turned out ok, not great but not bad either. I also changed up my amp rack a bit, took a few things off & made a few panels out of ABS for under the seat now that I had the space. Also covered the amp rack in a thin layer of black ABS, just looked cleaner.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the holidays came & went, but not without some cool stuff. My fiance got me a fixed base router/ router table, a table saw, bunch of good router bits, jasper jig, and a 19V cordless drill. I felt like a kid on xmas again!

Then in January I decided I wanted to paint my enclosure, the viynl wrap looked ok, but it wasnt completely wrapped n only was a sample to see if I liked it. After a lot of thought n changing my mind 1000 times I decided to coat the enclosure in Duratex, which is similar to bedliner in look. Not as heavy or coarse and its specifically made for speaker cabinets, so I thought that's perfect! I didnt want it to be as textured a look tho so I thinned it with water n used a fine foam roller. The stuff is exspensive and it's a PITA to put on if your going for a smooth look. Hard to make roller marks all go away. Learned a lesson that the next time I'll either use it with their coarse roller n not dilute it or if I go the same route I'd use a full size roller nap so that I could possibly get full coverage with just 1 or 2 passes... 4" nap makes for too many lines, even using all the tricks I know from being a professional painter for years I couldnt get it perfect. But all in all it still turned out great. Texture was where I wanted it, not overly gritty but def solid. I have a 4 yr old so I needed it to be able to take a beating. And its held up to everything, not only that but it wipes clean with a moist rag. So def recommend goin with Duratex if ur looking to go the bedliner route, dries faster, doesnt stink, can tint it different colors, etc... Really easy stuff to work with. Dont even need to prime if you have a nice smooth enclosure to work with, which I did, but the viynl left a bit of a residue so I sanded and decided it wouldn't hurt to use a primer/sealer on the enclosure. I was painting the inside of enclosure white anyways so I was going to be priming that either way. But all you need is a few coats, sand in between and your good. I was able to coat it then sand it within 45 mins, sanded down very nicely. I highly recommend Duratex!

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've been reading up on Duratex as well, I feel like this is a good option for me as far as being a compromise between durability and looks. Did you consider spraying it? The only video I checked out he had to cut it quite a bit to achieve a good flow. I'm okay with that but was curious what it would do to the texture.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been reading up on Duratex as well, I feel like this is a good option for me as far as being a compromise between durability and looks. Did you consider spraying it? The only video I checked out he had to cut it quite a bit to achieve a good flow. I'm okay with that but was curious what it would do to the texture.
I dont own a spray gun, so that wasnt an option for me. I did however thin it down myself because I wanted more of a smooth, flat look. Water is all u need to add, theres some threads out there about thinning it down. Mine still feels very solid (protected) just not as textured as bedliner or as textured as it norm is. I also used a fine foam roller instead of the textured roller they include.

Def can spray it, and def will still be just as protected, just wont have quite the bedliner look/feel....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That design is awesome! Which wheels do you have on it now?
I have the 26s on right now. They're VCT V8s... and then when the weather starts to change I'll put the 20s back on (I'm in Pittsburgh so prob November).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Love the build log. I've got a SSA icon 10 from maybe 2011. Beautiful sub, hoping to make it fit in my 16 double cab In a ported enclosure.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Yea it's an awesome sub, I'm assuming you mean under the seat when you say hoping to make it fit?

And being a single 10" that def isnt a problem. I'd get an underseat forward facing enclosure made. Without a seat lift you can get around 1.25ft^3 (That's with high transmission, prob can get more with the flat floor)... If you did a rear seat lift you'll fit it no problem. I've seen plenty of guys with seat lifts fit 2 ported 10s...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Excellent choice on the Icon. :)
It's been great to me... Its gonna be hard to let go (Its gonna make it's way into my girls Terrain now) but I'm holding off on putting it in just in case the Resilient Sounds Platinum doesnt have good enough SQ for me.... I know it's not gonna be the same in the SQ department as the Icon, but I didnt buy it for SQ, I wanted some more output, but hoping it's not just a straight output driver....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts