DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

Registered
G'day guys,

Mate...home renovations...that it is a Pandora's Box and I am still up to my eyeballs in it...really getting 'over it'. Before I caught up on following posts I wanted to say that those are some really slick and nicely laid out and wired up units in the Post 73 photos...tidy man. 'God is in the detail' - any clown can throw a pile of gear into a car - but making it look as slick as that REALLY shows both skill/planning and/or a nice serve of OCD 馃ぃ just joking mate, looks exquisite....

Sorry it is unrelated to the website...but do you have any hp/torque numbers for your engine mods? I don't know if I made it blatantly obvious enough that I am not mechanically minded 馃ゴ yeah...but I have done a lot more research on the mechanical side of things and I know where the issues are with my mods and tune. What I find interesting is the numbers that some guys will claim vs the readouts from differing dyno's vs watching the car do a run...

Nice build, I'm in the process of hooking up my 2016 system.

Front stage: Hertz 280.3 pillars, Audiofrog GB25 in dash, Hertz 1650.3 doors.

Rear Hertz 1650.3 and Audiofrog GB10D4 in sealed trunk box.

8to12 Aerospace, AS 100.4 and 5/30 ... need to add them pillar pods for the tweeters. I also have an additional Zapco LX 4 ch. Yet the AS 100 fits under the drivers seat.. I've managed to keep a full sized spare and hide all components ( I cut the foam flooring to fit the 5/30 and the dsp is under the passenger seat and rcd is in mid console).. I've yet to set gains or power up..
+1. Mad system mate...see below...

I've modified mine too much and would never get my $$ back if I sold mine off. I do sometimes wish I had a more capable vehicle. The rex is fun and I've fixed all the OEM issues, yet I miss having better ground clearance living in the PNW. can't have everything can we ;-).. best of luck
Not sure what PNW is but 'we pay to play'. Treat the money you spend on your wheels as disposable...because you will have just disposed of it! In favour of some cool things...but reality sucks...

With that said I haven't checked around the forum here yet; but have you done a build log mate? Would really love to have a look at how you have installed your system and what tips/tricks/fubars you had...that is some really high quality gear mate 馃

Idk if its been covered but facing the subs forward like that isn't going to give you a very good response.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Says who?
I'm sorry...can you point me towards the 'Ten Car Audio Commandments' that state that 'that isn't going to give a very good response'?
Mate...if a brother is putting the type of gear and time and money into his build like this man has - documented for the benefit of others like myself - then I'm pretty sure he has tried a couple of different sub locations and that HE PERSONALLY finds this position to be the best sounding.
I mean no offence as I do understand what you are getting at; however I really dislike 'one liner blanket statements'. It doesn't take into account personal preference, car design, overall car layout, acoustic response from all drivers...where do you want me to stop?
I'll stop with statements like that are just confusing for newer guys to car audio. I feel the second biggest issue in car audio is misinformation or subjective information (the biggest being shonky distributors, retailers and installers IMHO) that leaves guys confused or without the full story.

Peace mate 馃憤

Registered
I have a kinda outdated build page here:

I'm now self, road tuned and have not raced with my new build. I changed focus.. I went from stage 4 full rallyX build (with ripped out sound system, trim & interior) to a more comfortable DD due to work changes and life ;-).. I now dont care.. I have too much power and rarely use it.. only to get tickets it seems :-(

Registered
I have too much power
I recognise the words as being English...just not sure what they mean...
LMAO 馃槀 yeah man we all go 'backwards' in terms of engine power and audio power (if you want to call it that; depends on perspective!) at some point. Eventually 'life' includes more than just working to repay a car loan or credit card AND the realisation that all that money spent isn't coming back sober us all up a little 馃槦 that's a 'grandpa' statement...but reality is I am 39, single and due to hard work in younger years (and a massive slice of good luck) I am retired. There are just more important things that deserve time and money than a car!

DD is a bit of a handful (teehee) but definitely my approach/focus!

I have a kinda outdated build page here:

I'm now self, road tuned and have not raced with my new build. I changed focus.. I went from stage 4 full rallyX build (with ripped out sound system, trim & interior) to a more comfortable DD due to work changes and life ;-).. I now dont care.. I have too much power and rarely use it.. only to get tickets it seems :-(
Really appreciate the link man...sheeeeesh that is a pile of work but (only had a quick glimpse) having done all the work yourself...props mate! There are times that I wish I had learnt a little more about engines and just general handyman type jobs around the house...
Then again - I chose to spend the time getting letters I can write after my name and they are what got me PAID - so it is what it is. I just sounded like a massive AH but that wasn't my intention! I can put together a decent car audio system (though upgrades from OEM are becoming a lot harder ever since car manufacturers realised they could cash in on that market); but any work to the engine that is more than standard maintenance involves seeing a reputable installer.

'Reputable Installer' is an oxymoron in my often stated with no intention of being humble's opinion...so again kudos for doing all that work yourself! I'll get on with a read 馃檪

Cheers mate 馃憤

Registered
Lol yeah it's all paid for :) so no issues with payments etc.. I just have to drive it as my DD and I dont get to track or Rally it anymore. I could easily sell it and get something else, yet I'd lose all that hard work and $$$ I sank into parts. The good thing is that I know exactly what is wrong when it does go south! So far it's been about learning and having fun (especially the part where my kids have to hold the flashlight, turn the key to on, and bring me tools while I'm contorted and blood running from every knuckle and my head!) My last car did 10.04 Qrt mile fastest run 72 Nova.. the wrx I've only tracked on very curvy aurox circuits and rallyx tracks so never really past 3rd gear ;-)..

Registered
Discussion Starter #85
G'day guys,

Mate...home renovations...that it is a Pandora's Box and I am still up to my eyeballs in it...really getting 'over it'. Before I caught up on following posts I wanted to say that those are some really slick and nicely laid out and wired up units in the Post 73 photos...tidy man. 'God is in the detail' - any clown can throw a pile of gear into a car - but making it look as slick as that REALLY shows both skill/planning and/or a nice serve of OCD 馃ぃ just joking mate, looks exquisite....

Sorry it is unrelated to the website...but do you have any hp/torque numbers for your engine mods? I don't know if I made it blatantly obvious enough that I am not mechanically minded 馃ゴ yeah...but I have done a lot more research on the mechanical side of things and I know where the issues are with my mods and tune. What I find interesting is the numbers that some guys will claim vs the readouts from differing dyno's vs watching the car do a run...

+1. Mad system mate...see below...

Not sure what PNW is but 'we pay to play'. Treat the money you spend on your wheels as disposable...because you will have just disposed of it! In favour of some cool things...but reality sucks...

With that said I haven't checked around the forum here yet; but have you done a build log mate? Would really love to have a look at how you have installed your system and what tips/tricks/fubars you had...that is some really high quality gear mate 馃

Says who?
I'm sorry...can you point me towards the 'Ten Car Audio Commandments' that state that 'that isn't going to give a very good response'?
Mate...if a brother is putting the type of gear and time and money into his build like this man has - documented for the benefit of others like myself - then I'm pretty sure he has tried a couple of different sub locations and that HE PERSONALLY finds this position to be the best sounding.
I mean no offence as I do understand what you are getting at; however I really dislike 'one liner blanket statements'. It doesn't take into account personal preference, car design, overall car layout, acoustic response from all drivers...where do you want me to stop?
I'll stop with statements like that are just confusing for newer guys to car audio. I feel the second biggest issue in car audio is misinformation or subjective information (the biggest being shonky distributors, retailers and installers IMHO) that leaves guys confused or without the full story.

Peace mate 馃憤
Yeah, the renovations have been a pain but the house is really coming together now, just have some landscaping in the backyard to take care of and updating the kitchen somewhere down the line. Looks like I'm just going to end up sticking with the WRX for at least a while longer. It's quick enough, even though I've removed the performance parts, AWD, and fun to drive. I have a lot of friends with trucks, I'll just keep bothering them when I need one. lol. I believe I was around 280ish hp and tq on a mustang dyno with the TMIC, intake, turboback exhaust, and EBCS. I never had a chance to install the TGV/EGR Deletes or Charge Pipe that I had. I've removed and sold most of the parts. I did feel that with the mods it kicked you back in your seat a bit more but it's not really that huge of a difference honestly.

Thanks for the compliments sir! I definitely have gone half ass on wiring and mounting amps in the past but usually it's because I know I'll be swapping gear out a few times within the year, which is what I continue to do. I've received the Audiofrog GS42 coaxials and will be installing those soon.
Not sure how true that is about the whole response thing but after playing with several different enclosures and positions, with the rear seats folded down, I just have a lot less rattle which is the main reason I have it facing forward. I sound deadened the rear deck a ton and I'm still getting some annoying rattles, I pretty much deadened it the same way I did on my 2015 WRX but for whatever reason that car I was able to get almost completely silent on the rear deck. The extra bass output is nice as well!

Because I thought I was going to get rid of the WRX, which may or may not still happen, I installed the Arc xdi450/4 and 650/1 that I had on hand with some really cheap coaxials in the dash and the Dayton 7" reference mids. Didn't want to trade the car in with the good stuff.

I'm assuming PNW is Pacific North West?

Registered
Yes Pacific Northwest! I also bought a house this last year and doing all the above !! The car is child's play as far a money and time sink compared to the home, as here is where the wife gets to pick her stuff. And damned does she have picky and expensive taste!! never ending story. I'm off to CES but as soon as I get back, I will start my own build log in the forums I ran out of 4ga cable for the rear amp! All else is hooked up and ready to set gains and tuning.

Registered
Love the sound system. But dislike the automatic transmission. Like this is a wrx. Wtf?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #88
Yeah, I get that all the time but I bought it with only 300 miles on it because someone decided to upgrade to the STi. Got a hell of a deal on it.

I don't have any issues with my decision, I'm not a high schooler, the jabs don't affect me. Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
Got a little motivation and decided to work on my audio a bit. System is now as follows:

Pioneer Headunit (forgot the model)
Dayton DSP

ARC xdi1200.6
ARC xdi1100.1

Dayton ND16FA tweeters
Dayton RS100P mids
SB Acoustic mids (for now)
Dayton Esoteric 7" mids (future)
Dayton HO 10's (ported)

I wanted the tweeters in the pillars but didn't want them showing so I made some grilles and wrapped them with grille cloth. It actually turned out better than I thought it would. With a quick adjustment of the xovers and TA it sounds awesome so far. I'd like to see how good I can make it sound before I try different tweeters. The Dayton mids sound great firing off the windshield so I'm not in any hurry to swap those out.

I have some Audiofrog equipment but that'll be installed after I'm done experimenting...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

81 - 89 of 89 Posts