DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2018 VW Passat, Helix M Four DSP, Gladen Zero Pro 165.4, Gladen Zero 10 Pro
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Marking my spot to log the process of my audio build for my new to me 2018 VW Passat.

Gear:
Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 - 3 Way front
Gladen Zero 10 Pro
Hertz Mille Pro - rearfill
Helix M Four DSP
Helix M Four
Helix M One X
Masconi Bluetooth Adapter (optical out)
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To get things going the plan is to complete my subwoofer and A pillars before I pull everything out of the car for sound treatment and wiring.
I chose to start with the A pillars.

as of right now I have designed and completed the speaker grill/bezel and the speaker mount.
Automotive tire Hat Headgear Wood Gas

After lots of trial and error I’ve come to my completed look. I was aiming for something that complimented the tweeter (which will be installed in the sail panel).
Material property Gas Font Ingredient Rectangle

I’m really proud of the results! Next step is positioning the mounts in the a pillars and begin building those up.

·
Super Moderator
1,859 Posts
Can't wait to see your A-Pillar mods, mine are out of my car, at a shop now, as I don't have the experience/skills/equipment to do it myself...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't wait to see your A-Pillar mods, mine are out of my car, at a shop now, as I don't have the experience/skills/equipment to do it myself...
I have the equipment….. working on the skills/experience. This will be my first go at this kind of thing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first one is always the hardest. Just take your time. And things will turn out beautiful
Taking my time has always been a struggle for me, but that’s the plan. It’s a real exercise of news skills and restraint of rushing to get it done. Lol

·
Registered
973 Posts
To get things going the plan is to complete my subwoofer and A pillars before I pull everything out of the car for sound treatment and wiring.
I chose to start with the A pillars.

as of right now I have designed and completed the speaker grill/bezel and the speaker mount. View attachment 317047
After lots of trial and error I’ve come to my completed look. I was aiming for something that complimented the tweeter (which will be installed in the sail panel).
View attachment 317048
I’m really proud of the results! Next step is positioning the mounts in the a pillars and begin building those up.
So I'm assuming you have the base audio not the Fender in your Passat? I'm also in the midst of building my 2017 Passat. Look forward to seeing where you take this build and possibly exchanging ideas and troubles alike.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I'm assuming you have the base audio not the Fender in your Passat? I'm also in the midst of building my 2017 Passat. Look forward to seeing where you take this build and possibly exchanging ideas and troubles alike.
Yeah, I have the SE with the technology package, but no fender audio.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A Pillar progress for the night:
I have the driver side aimed and hot glued in place. I think the height and angle looks perfect, and it doesn’t take away to much of my view. I believe that even the window defrost will still function pretty well once everything is complete.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grille Automotive design

Car Vehicle White Hood Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Wood Table

Road surface Wood Asphalt Automotive tire Flooring

·
Super Moderator
1,859 Posts
That's a mid-range right?

Where are the tweeters going?

·
Registered
973 Posts
A Pillar progress for the night:
I have the driver side aimed and hot glued in place. I think the height and angle looks perfect, and it doesn’t take away to much of my view. I believe that even the window defrost will still function pretty well once everything is complete. View attachment 317087
View attachment 317084
View attachment 317085
View attachment 317086
How deep are your mids? How much clearance (breathing room) is there down the pillar?

Have you managed to acquire spare pillars, in case those get fubarred?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How deep are your mids? How much clearance (breathing room) is there down the pillar?

Have you managed to acquire spare pillars, in case those get fubarred?
Mids have a mounting depth of about 1.65 inches. Maybe about half an inch clearance from the actual metal a pillar. As far as room for the mid to breath it opens up into the dash so there is plenty of room for the speaker to breathe. I actually picked up a new set of A pillars from my dealer who sold me the car. They screwed up a few things and kinda owed me. I also have a second headliner that was previously in my car that they had to replace after I purchased the car. So now I have the material from that to wrap the a pillars to match oem.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts