DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ahh I do remember.. I’m not sure why I thought you were still using the factory head unit. I miss the bad old days where you could splice 11-12 wires together and boom, tunes!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I checked with the folks at Nav-TV again, it's been about a year, and although they still don't have it listed on their site, they said that their Zen audio device works good with the 2019+ Edge. I ordered one and will have it in a day or two. If i have the time I will install it by next weekend.

·
Registered
147 Posts
As soon as I force myself to set aside some time I am going to try to find a power wire location in the firewall and thats all thats keeping me from starting, I am going to use a AC LC2-I with the factory subwires as input. I have an Incriminator IA20.1 from my previous car just not sure I need/want that much power. Still not sure on what I am doing with subs, thought about doing 4 6.5" subs under the rear cover and making a new cover.

Heres a picture of the new wheels and tires I got recently.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like the wheels! Yeah the power run has been my biggest issue- it's tough to find a spot but gregerst22 had some good ideas about checking behind the battery. I'm putting in a Hifonics Brutus BRX3016.1D mated to a SKAR EVL-15 in a ported box that I had in my BMW. I'm a bit concerned about the stock electrical system but a new alternator isn't really in the cards right now- one step at a time. I'm hoping the fact that the entire space is open unlike when it was in my trunk will make it perform even better!

This is a somewhat messy mock up of where the amp and Epicenter will go. I don't have the amp sitting on the mounting screws and standoffs here but that should allow some airflow around all the gear. 4x 120mm fans totaling about 500CFM should help keep things cool in there!

Send pics when you get it all put in!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I don't think you will have any problem running that amp off of the stock system. The alternator and AGM battery in the ST is pretty good.
I think I would consider putting the fan next to the amp, so that it is blowing air toward the back seat. There seems to be a lot of empty space back in that area for heat to dissipate. Having the fan next to the amp would be more efficient and you may only need one. Just a thought.

I like the wheels! Yeah the power run has been my biggest issue- it's tough to find a spot but gregerst22 had some good ideas about checking behind the battery. I'm putting in a Hifonics Brutus BRX3016.1D mated to a SKAR EVL-15 in a ported box that I had in my BMW. I'm a bit concerned about the stock electrical system but a new alternator isn't really in the cards right now- one step at a time. I'm hoping the fact that the entire space is open unlike when it was in my trunk will make it perform even better!

This is a somewhat messy mock up of where the amp and Epicenter will go. I don't have the amp sitting on the mounting screws and standoffs here but that should allow some airflow around all the gear. 4x 120mm fans totaling about 500CFM should help keep things cool in there! View attachment 264308

Send pics when you get it all put in!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't think you will have any problem running that amp off of the stock system. The alternator and AGM battery in the ST is pretty good.
I think I would consider putting the fan next to the amp, so that it is blowing air toward the back seat. There seems to be a lot of empty space back in that area for heat to dissipate. Having the fan next to the amp would be more efficient and you may only need one. Just a thought.
gregerst22 - thanks for the info. I plan on putting a thermistor on the amp and measuring the temp during daily use. I just need to find a cheap one that I can wire up to the driver area so I can see it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Just wanted to post an update on the ZEN AUDIO DSP12A-A2B unit from NAV-TV. I have been using it for just over a week in the Edge and it's been great so far. I am running the front L+R rca channels from the Zen to the Helix DSP. The signal seems clean with a low noise floor. As far as sound quality I really don't notice a difference between it and the Pioneer HU that I was using. It also provides a remote turn on lead for the dsp / amps. The minor issues I see so far are, is it takes a little longer for car tones / alerts to be available. For example, if I turn on the car and start backing up right away, the audio for the rear sensor's may not be audible. It may be because my aftermarket gear doesn't start as fast the oem amp did. I also noticed that I don' t hear the tones for rear cross traffic alerts. But it may because the mix settings for tones / alerts in the Zen configuration need to be adjusted. This weekend I'm going to look into it further.
Even though the NAV-TV website doesn't officially advertise a compatible Zen unit for the 2019+ Ford Edge it seems to be working great, and overall and I'm pretty happy with it. It is not cheap, but currently it may be the easiest way to get a flat full range or sub signal from the OEM Sync3 system to your after market equipment. If anybody is interested I would recommend talking to Tony at NAV-TV he seems to be very knowledgeable when it comes to using Zen in our vehicles.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Cool! Is your factory headunit/system Sony or B&O? I was looking for a unit like this for my OEM Sony headunit in my 2017 Ford Fusion. I was only able to find this unit by Metra.

Just curious. Thanks.

Just wanted to post an update on the ZEN AUDIO DSP12A-A2B unit from NAV-TV. I have been using it for just over a week in the Edge and it's been great so far. I am running the front L+R rca channels from the Zen to the Helix DSP. The signal seems clean with a low noise floor. As far as sound quality I really don't notice a difference between it and the Pioneer HU that I was using. It also provides a remote turn on lead for the dsp / amps. The minor issues I see so far are, is it takes a little longer for car tones / alerts to be available. For example, if I turn on the car and start backing up right away, the audio for the rear sensor's may not be audible. It may be because my aftermarket gear doesn't start as fast the oem amp did. I also noticed that I don' t hear the tones for rear cross traffic alerts. But it may because the mix settings for tones / alerts in the Zen configuration need to be adjusted. This weekend I'm going to look into it further.
Even though the NAV-TV website doesn't officially advertise a compatible Zen unit for the 2019+ Ford Edge it seems to be working great, and overall and I'm pretty happy with it. It is not cheap, but currently it may be the easiest way to get a flat full range or sub signal from the OEM Sync3 system to your after market equipment. If anybody is interested I would recommend talking to Tony at NAV-TV he seems to be very knowledgeable when it comes to using Zen in our vehicles.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Any tips on how the center console comes out, I want to wrap mine but I also don't want to break it trying to take it out blind.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yes, it's fairly easy once you know how to do it. First the two black side trim pieces that run the length of the console pull out. One on each side of console. Then the top cover piece with the cup holders pulls up. next the two silver trim pieces around the cubby.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone know what the module in this picture is for? I’m thinking of relocating it but want to make sure I don’t wreck anything.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yep TCU telematics control unit you can relocate it I would say without issues. Just be sure not to damaged the antenna connectors, replacing an antenna wire ain't easy or cheap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep TCU telematics control unit you can relocate it I would say without issues. Just be sure not to damaged the antenna connectors, replacing an antenna wire ain't easy or cheap.
thanks for the confirmation! I’m gonna put it under the back row seats so I can repurpose that area for a fan duct to cool the amp and epicenter going into the foam storage tray. This is a mock up with 4 120mm fans added in strategic locations. Should be nearly 500CFM of air movement I hope it stays cool.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone know if any of the wires for the subwoofer are easily accessible with the styrofoam and deck lid out? I’d like to avoid digging into the panels if possible

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I got the panel off, now just trying to figure out which wires I should use for signal from sub into epicenter+. I’m guessing this is sending both channels to the sub... not sure why...
BC53325C-A37E-466A-838D-1679F538749E.png

41 - 60 of 70 Posts