1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
796 Posts
Those are excellent video’s! Been meaning to start a thread thanking you for taking them. Watched every one, so cool to see what people do to their cars all in the name of SQ

Hopefully you have many more to share with us!

Those have made me consider attempting a SQ car for these competitions, looks like fun and a lot of great people.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are excellent video’s! Been meaning to start a thread thanking you for taking them. Watched every one, so cool to see what people do to their cars all in the name of SQ

Hopefully you have many more to share with us!

Those have made me consider attempting a SQ car for these competitions, looks like fun and a lot of great people.
Natans was unfortunately the last one i have for competitor spotlights. But i do have one special car that i filmed the judging of the install presentation. that will be cool and will be out soon

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just watched most of these last night... appreciate you taking the time to create and share these videos, especially for us west coasters who were unable to attend the finals in person!

Thanks Nick!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for creating the video's as well Nick.

For those of us that are very unlikely to make it to a contest period to see and hear the experience is welcomed especially at the top tier level.

Out of curious is there a competitor/ hardware break down anywhere similar to what they do in the TDF for the bikes and teams.

Specifically I am curious what percentage of competitors are competing and winning with Class D and/or variant amps compared to AB/A amps. This is a curiosity question and not a tribal, that is better than this thing.

I am just curious for my own interest.

Thanks to anybody who has this type of data.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for creating the video's as well Nick.

For those of us that are very unlikely to make it to a contest period to see and hear the experience is welcomed especially at the top tier level.

Out of curious is there a competitor/ hardware break down anywhere similar to what they do in the TDF for the bikes and teams.

Specifically I am curious what percentage of competitors are competing and winning with Class D and/or variant amps compared to AB/A amps. This is a curiosity question and not a tribal, that is better than this thing.

I am just curious for my own interest.

Thanks to anybody who has this type of data.
i dont think there is such thing as that. But i can tell you that some are running class d, but most are A/B. I THINK this mostly has to do with there being more A/B options out there that fit what competitors want. Power, good sound for a reasonable price, etc. They also are made by manufacturers that they support/support them and they also dont really care too much about saving space, or do what it takes to make the space. There are definitely plenty there that wont use class D for whatever reason, but im sure a lot there would be fine with it, but just choose to use amps that happen to be A/B, and not because they are A/B

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ya that is my impression, especially after watching your videos that sponsorship plays a role as well as preference and ultimately SQ for every last point.

The form factor aspects seem to be a secondary consideration considering the $$ spent on installs that I saw.

Thanks again Nick.

A hardware/competitor list would be interesting and handy but a lot of work to!!

·
18,358 Posts
Ya that is my impression, especially after watching your videos that sponsorship plays a role as well as preference and ultimately SQ for every last point.

The form factor aspects seem to be a secondary consideration considering the $$ spent on installs that I saw.

Thanks again Nick.

A hardware/competitor list would be interesting and handy but a lot of work to!!
I don't have the actual data to back this up but if I had to guess, based on my knowledge of what folks are running, I'd say a good round number for the amount of competitors running Class D amps is 20%.

As for form factor, that was the primary driver for my front stage; I wanted everything to look stock. Ironically, for me to get the form factor I wanted, it cost me more than an install with pillar/dash mids and tweeters would have cost. Additionally, since MECA is broken down by class, those in the lower classes are restricted by form factor as well.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
at finals, the percentage of people running class-d was closer to 5% with many using class-a/b or heavily biased class-a/b

it's not hard to do well with quality class-d amps, it mostly comes down to install and tuning regardless of amplifier topology.

every system in a car has trade-offs. :)

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
It’s so nerdy I can’t stand it. I’m so happy I don’t compete but I sure do love the ppl that do.

So all those videos (I watched two and couldn’t handle the gooberiness any longer) although bens car is dope and I wanted to see that and a few others.
I’m not that brave I guess , or the thought of all that trunkliner in one place.

So my thoughts on me competing is just like my son Oabeieo when he plays video games
He has a controller that’s not even hooked up to the PlayStation and he sarts dancing “I WINNED I WINNED”

That’s totally me in competition, I win before I even decide to play the game

I’m attaching a video of it ..(comedy).his face is so serious about it.... so obvious he’s related to me ..lol enjoy

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s so nerdy I can’t stand it. I’m so happy I don’t compete but I sure do love the ppl that do.

So all those videos (I watched two and couldn’t handle the gooberiness any longer) although bens car is dope and I wanted to see that and a few others.
I’m not that brave I guess , or the thought of all that trunkliner in one place.

So my thoughts on me competing is just like my son Oabeieo when he plays video games
He has a controller that’s not even hooked up to the PlayStation and he sarts dancing “I WINNED I WINNED”

That’s totally me in competition, I win before I even decide to play the game

I’m attaching a video of it ..(comedy).his face is so serious about it.... so obvious he’s related to me ..lol enjoy

k.. ?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Nick,

So how did/does Natan's car sound? I'm fascinated by up-mixed/multi-seat systems, and his has a lot more than simple up-mixing considering the ceiling "3D FX" speakers, etc. So what did you think about it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't have the actual data to back this up but if I had to guess, based on my knowledge of what folks are running, I'd say a good round number for the amount of competitors running Class D amps is 20%.

As for form factor, that was the primary driver for my front stage; I wanted everything to look stock. Ironically, for me to get the form factor I wanted, it cost me more than an install with pillar/dash mids and tweeters would have cost. Additionally, since MECA is broken down by class, those in the lower classes are restricted by form factor as well.
The layout of the different speaker placements and configurations such as yours was also very interesting. That is the nice thing about car audio is that there is lots of ways to be creative compared to say home audio which I am very familiar with, lol.

I should clarify what I meant by form factor was amplifier centric (size, shape, heat management, placement, and bias/voltage topology, etc)

It would seem that the standard AB/A topology is still considered to be the peak of competitiveness at the top levels. Perhaps that may change in time as most things do.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts

I’m just so funny Nick...I crack myself up sometimes.....and I promise i am just as nerdy.

For real tho, vids are nice, super awesome quality also. Thanks for sharing that. Super cool cars , looked like a lot of fun

Maybe I’ll grow up enough to play one day

1 - 15 of 15 Posts