DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

521 - 538 of 538 Posts

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
That's a little too far for me. Jason's house is right at the ragged edge of how far I'm willing to drive this old civic for a meet. :blush:
I'm thinking about retiring from the 12.5 hour drive each way myself. While my truck basically drove itself tracking straight as an arrow with very little floating going on it still took more out of me than I care to admit. Jeff and Eric both said they were thinking about putting on a meet and I think their location in East Tennessee is a good central area for several clusters of us SQ nerds. I think Jeff is on the Eastern tip of TN anyway:confused:

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
So, reflecting on the feedback I got on my truck there were a couple small technical things pointed out to me that were easily fixed. Overall the structural criticism was mainly people telling me the subwoofer wasn't to their tastes. Mostly it was...sub to hot, not enough subwoofer, center pulling a hair to the left, center pulling a hair to the right. I consider that a win on my part. At least we know I can build a decently good sounding vehicle two times in a row. I don't have a reference setup at the house so that's why I said a few days before the meet that I think I've taken my tune as far as I can without trained ears giving feedback. Mission accomplished and mucho thanks to those who took time to help get it more dialed in tonally. For those who aren't experienced with a single cab truck they can be a real PITA to dial in especially in the sub-midbass area. I could probably cross the sub at 50 and midbass at 100 and still have to make cuts in the 60-80hz range. Hopefully no one felt like they were doing a "mercy demo" and if you thought you were walking into one of those I hope your mind was changed when you heard it. If not, that's cool too. I only mention the "mercy demo" because it was mentioned in the NCSQ podcast.

Also, reflecting on other cars I listened to I didn't hear a single bad sounding car there. I also didn't expect a very simple install to compete with a purpose-built sq car with a zillion watts and all the processing power one would ever need. That's what makes these meets so great though. We get people in all stages of the hobby and from all walks of life.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
At least we know I can build a decently good sounding vehicle two times in a row.
Dude, I've always been impressed with your tuning going all the way back to Grayson and Allys meet in Atlanta, so technically, that would be three in a row. Your systems have been very musical with great dynamics!

Jeff and Eric both said they were thinking about putting on a meet and I think their location in East Tennessee is a good central area for several clusters of us SQ nerds. I think Jeff is on the Eastern tip of TN anyway:confused:
Out place is actually in Ga, near Trenton. Was thinking about early Oct, but not sure when Finals are? Anyway, have a big shop with plenty of parking and would love to have folks over!

Attachments

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Dude, I've always been impressed with your tuning going all the way back to Grayson and Allys meet in Atlanta, so technically, that would be three in a row. Your systems have been very musical with great dynamics!
It was the technical stuff like l/r eq and overcompensating with time alignment when l/r eq was the problem that I had a bad reputation for in the past. Tonally I always thought it was at least passable. This is why I made sure to get as many people in my truck as possible at this meet. Needed to show everyone that I've made a big effort to learn how to tune at least semi-properly. It has more in it for sure. Still haven't fixed that connection issue at the midbass amp. Will do that when I'm off again later in the week. Might have to get reinforcements over to help pull the box to get to the amp.

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Just giving a little update about that little midbass issue I was having. Turned out to be a bad y-splitter. I'm about to order all new cables for processor to amps just for the sake of having all new in there. The ones from headunit to processor were new when installed. The splitters were just some cheap Soundquest cables I got from Darvex probably 10 years ago.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Haha. Great memory of this year’s meet..
My workout for Jason 7:30AM

Steve’s modified workout

I think the Captain had the right idea. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Haha. Great memory of this year’s meet..
My workout for Jason 7:30AM...

Steve’s modified workout...

I think the Captain had the right idea. :)
+1

ROTFL! Classic!

When combined, I think that those two routines balance out pretty well actually. :p

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Finally got to listen to the demo CD - some really great tracks on there! Really enjoying track number 2 on there. Didn't realize how much soul that lady could put into her singing.

(Not sure if we can post artist names and tracks due to copyright crap, so I was keeping it kinda vague)

521 - 538 of 538 Posts