DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
It also occurred to me that the base stereo in the RAM has only 6 speakers with no sub, but it does have anc. So maybe the sub isn’t actually needed at all. Of course it could all be balanced differently in the Alpine system.

·
Hillbilly
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Good point... and I did not think about that.

I did notice on the connector that goes to the sub, there are several wires... more than two... I think 4 wires. Not sure why that many would be needed unless something is going on within the subwoofer cabinet ... such as another module of some sort that works with the ANC... or maybe it has a separate amp at the sub. I'll investigate more when I get some time off and it ain't 100 degree heat index outside.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The wiring diagram shows that the sub has a triple voice coil which is most unusual. Threads on 5thgenrams talk about it. No one knows, that I have seen, why it would be built this way. I’ve read elsewhere that any sub with multiple voice coils has to get exactly the same signal to each coil, which makes sense. Each coil can not be trying to do something different.

The higher end HK system in the Ram has a single coil sub.

So it all makes sense now, doesn’t it! 😂

·
Hillbilly
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Oh yeah.... clear a mud!

So I connected the sub back this morning... it's messing with the signal no doubt, but if I turn it on up pretty loud, it seems to effect it less, as though the ANC can't keep up with defeating that much volume. At lower volumes I can notice it more.

The sub connector has maybe 6 wires... hard to tell, as it is such close quarters to work with where the connector is, and I couldn't get it turned around enough to actually separate and count the wires. I saw what appeared to be 2 speaker wires... normal colors for factory wiring, a black wire, and some other colors.

·
Hillbilly
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Something else that could be happening... C-DSP/DL does not account for the factory sub when I run processing for it... so when I connect it, it could be cancelling out some frequencies, so it may not be the ANC causing the issue, it could be the sub itself.

Buddy at local dealership says he may be able to cut the subwoofer off thru the coding system (can't remember the technical name he called it) but basically he says he thinks they can program it off without affecting the ANC.

He was in the shop a few minutes ago and we were discussing it... and looking at the diagrams we had, it looks like the ANC is connected to the speakers in the rear door, front door and dash... so the rear speakers could still be doing something as you suggested.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
The wiring diagram shows that the sub has a triple voice coil which is most unusual. Threads on 5thgenrams talk about it. No one knows, that I have seen, why it would be built this way. I’ve read elsewhere that any sub with multiple voice coils has to get exactly the same signal to each coil, which makes sense. Each coil can not be trying to do something different.

The higher end HK system in the Ram has a single coil sub.

So it all makes sense now, doesn’t it! 😂

A speaker can faithfully play two seperate signals through two separate coils attached to the same bobbin and cone. (That’s basically what music is anyway)

It would be the same thing as mixing a track that has music and engine sounds on a recording and playing it through a speaker, you hear both.

The only thing it can’t do very well is play two signals that are the same in amplitude and frequency and out of phase with each other. Aside from that , should work just fine.

·
Hillbilly
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Unplug the ANC mics and be done with it.

.02c
I've actually verified that the front and rear speakers participate in the noise cancellation... via the wiring diagrams from the dealership. However, I have the headunit faded to the front, so no sound comes thru the rear speakers, although the ANC still sends the signal to those speakers, and it helps without causing any issues.

I'd like to figure out which wires going to the sub are for the sub and which are for the ANC. I think if we clip the sub wires and leave the ANC wires, we might get similar results from the sub as we do the rear speakers... noise reduction without interference from the speaker. The sub is not included in the DL filter correction, so it interferes with the response when it is left plugged in... unplug it and it solves the issue... and the rear speakers and vibration reducing sensors still work to help cancel noise. Bypass the mics and it's a bit much for me when listening to sports radio.

I am hoping there is a way to get the best of both world... just need to experiment.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I've actually verified that the front and rear speakers participate in the noise cancellation... via the wiring diagrams from the dealership. However, I have the headunit faded to the front, so no sound comes thru the rear speakers, although the ANC still sends the signal to those speakers, and it helps without causing any issues.

I'd like to figure out which wires going to the sub are for the sub and which are for the ANC. I think if we clip the sub wires and leave the ANC wires, we might get similar results from the sub as we do the rear speakers... noise reduction without interference from the speaker. The sub is not included in the DL filter correction, so it interferes with the response when it is left plugged in... unplug it and it solves the issue... and the rear speakers and vibration reducing sensors still work to help cancel noise. Bypass the mics and it's a bit much for me when listening to sports radio.

I am hoping there is a way to get the best of both world... just need to experiment.

Oh so you want to know if earl Thomas is still in love with Brandon Williams.
Awe ! Lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have this exact same truck. Beautiful ride for sure! Well done on the install!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nicely done. I spent a lot of time trying to get set up in the 2014 RAM.

I traded that in last night on a 2020 and get to start all over again. Thanks for the inspiration.

Subscribed.

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
^^^. My first Limited sadly only lasted me 45 minutes after leaving the dealership. It started to rain heavily after I left and it was pouring into my back seat. The dealership didn’t want to fix it, they just took me out of the contract and sent me on my way. Are you feeling that you’ll be replacing majority of the speakers ?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Nice set up. I also have a 19 Ram with a similar type box made from my installer with 2 tw5s and currently getting custom pillars made for my 3 way c7s .

truck has 30k miles on it the only complaints I have it the steering wheel material wears off but they are aware and replacing it , the mpg sucks and the rear window rattles . Other than that I love the truck way more than the 15 f150 i had.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts