DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent several months following all the latest threads and reading through some old ones on DIYMA. I'm finally trying to wrap up the specifications and design of a new build for my recently purchased 2019 Honda Ridgeline. I purchased the trim level with an infotainment system that integrates backup and turning cameras that I wanted to have, so I will want to incorporate the infotainment system into my audio upgrade. The OEM infotainment system does not have an external amplifier and I'm hoping that will be an advantage.

My previous system in a 2007 Honda Pilot was upgraded over time. I ended up with a Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit driving an
Alpine PDX-5 5-channel amp. Front speakers were Focal 165 VR components with tweeters in the sail panels and rear speakers were Infinity Kappa 62.8i coaxials. I had dual Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 subs in two 0.85 cu ft sealed boxes that sat in the cargo area. The doors were treated with RAAMmat BXT II and Ensolite. I was pleased with this system and it worked well, but I was well aware of its faults. Naturally, I'd like to improve on this with my new build.

For some background, I have been into 2-channel audio and home theater since 2000 and have built countless subwoofers, kit speakers and most recently a from scratch, active 4-way speaker. I have learned a great deal from this recent project and I'm fully onboard with going active in my new vehicle.

My typical driving is local with limited highway driving and I prefer to randomly play a collection of classic rock music. My goal is to have a very good sounding system. In scoping out this upgrade, I find myself attracted to high-dollar components and advanced installation techniques that would be overkill for my needs and I have to rein myself in.

Since I will be using my OEM infotainment system as the primary source, I need to de-EQ speaker-level outputs for the fronts, rears and possibly the subwoofer into a DSP. The Helix DSP Pro MK2 seems to be a popular DSP on DIYMA and the one I'm planning to go with.

The plan is to go with 2-way active front speakers. I'm tempted to go 3-way, but I want to limit the project for now. I've chosen the ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6020-00 tweeters that will go in the factory locations in the A-pillar trim. I like how they can be crossed fairly low. For mid-woofers, I'm leaning toward the Stereo Integrity TM65 MKIII woofers. I ran across the measurement and comparison thread for the MKII woofers against the AudioFrog GB60's where the MKII was recommended for 3-ways but not for 2-ways. The recent manufacturer measurements of the MKIII's seem to allow crossing over at almost 3K. Has anyone had experience with using them in a 2-way configuration? If money were no object, I would probably go with the GB60's, but I find it hard to pay almost 2x Revelator driver prices for a car audio application.

I will reuse my Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 subs with custom 0.85 cu ft sealed boxes that can fit underneath the rear seats.

The active fronts and subs would be powered by my old Alpine PDX-5 amp.

The doors will be treated with Sound Deadener Showdown CLD tiles which seem to be the consensus here.

It also seems popular on DIYMA to ditch the rear speakers. However, in my previous system, I found the sound lacking without having the rears contributing. This could be because the Focal 165 VR's had weak mid-bass or that my front doors were not properly sealed. I'm thinking of installing a 2nd budget amp while I have everything torn apart and power the reused Infinity Kappa 62.8i coaxials from my previous system in the rear doors. This would be a relatively small marginal cost and would give me the flexibility to run the rears full-range or experiment with rear fill techniques.

I have no way of playing lossless music files using my OEM infotainment center, so I am also planning to make use of the digital audio input to the Helix DSP. I have seen threads where people are using DAP's to directly feed DSPs. I am thinking of exploring a Raspberry Pi and HiFi Berry Digi+ solution that could be integrated into the vehicle and possibly to build in some convenient control buttons. I would need a master volume control and the Helix URC.3 would be more than adequate for this purpose.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Are there some alternative components, especially speaker drivers that I should be considering? Are there some recommended best practices that I should follow?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nirvana,
I cannot give any advice however there is the Ridgelineownersclub.com site that has various audio options that owners have posted for the Gen 2 vehicle. As for myself I am 64 and purchased a 2019 Ridgeline top of the line as this was to be my retirement vehicle. Improving sound in this vehicle is much more difficult than I ever imagined with the head unit that does its own DSP to match the low quality speakers. Not all audio shops can upgrade this stereo with a new DSP/amp/speakers and get it right. So I am searching for add’l knowledge before I have a shop rework the audio system. Good Luck.
Mike M.
Naperville IL.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts