DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey guys so just a small update, playing around a little bit with the gains but Im just not entirely sure what distortion or clipping sounds like, honestly with the way their set now I can turn the volume all the way up on my head unit and not really hear any distortion but aim not sure if thats normal, really I just wanna make sure Im maximizing my systems potential so any advice their when setting these gains for the mid bass, mids, and tweets would be greatly appreciated. I had one of those shutoffs today with the nav tv, I called them they were extremely helpful and professional, I originally caled them about a problem to where my apple maps causes crazy amounts of distortion clipping etc. and after they walked me through that without me even bringing it up they stopped me from hanging up and explained the turn off issues with the avb gm models and said they will have an update in a week to correct the issue these guys are awesome super professional. Sub and Subbox arrive tomorrow my only hiccup right now is setting the gains Im nervous because I don't want to cause damage to my speakers but at the same time Im not quite sure how loud theyre supposed to play and really what distortion sctually sounds like in these different types of speakers. My crossovers are set to the basic recommended specs from the factory currently and Im tracking down some nuscanse vibrations coming from the dash causing noise. I guess the good news is my amps are pretty well paired to power the speakers since each one is actually rated rated either just at or a little bit less than the rms of every speaker. Midbass is on a 75w channel and is Id guess around 60-80w since its only the midbass, the midrange are on a 75w rms channel and they require 50w rms but they run in nominal 8 ohms but with the MM MEASURE AT 6ohm, and the tweets are on a 55w four channel amp but only require 15w of power at a nominal of 8 ohms and measure with multimeter are 6ohm so if anybody could give me an Idea of where I need to set my gains at so that way Im at least in the ballpark and can stay away from the danger areas to avoid damaging my speakers that would be fantastic. Will post full log once all parts arrive, tweeter locations have been decided and mounted, and all gains, eq, timing, and crossovers are finalized this way In able to garnish help in the process, so if anyone has any advice for me please let me know Im still learning quite a bit and after burning the coils on some old jl c2 speakers (before the nav tv piece which really helped flatten out the signal and calm the tenacity of the sound) I am a little nervous to fuck around to much with my much nice flax speakers. Thanks again and appreciate the following on my first build !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey guys sorry for the delay, life has been a bit hectic, the family situation has been a bit chaotic, school has been an absolute nightmare, and work has been booming despite all this bullshit about this “fancy flu”. So plastic trim pieces I may have scratches or broke clips on I had to re order little did I know they were on back order. For a month. It was actually pretty good timing given I really have had to put the project on halt given the numerous other responsibilities Ive had. Where Im at so far is figuring out where and what way to mount my mids and tweets. Ive routed out a couple templates that I think I might like and might work. The plastic parts will be here on Monday. In the mean time Im gonna ceramic coat and do a full paint correction and polish since thats my real specialty. Im going to be cleaning up the wiring and wrapping everything exposed in tesa tape to give it a more professional and uniform appearance. At this point there really isnt much left. Just wanted to keep anyone following in the loop and will post the entire build when life slows down a bit. Thanks and as always stay safe guys!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got some on the way ! Just finished coating the truck so Im going to let it dry before I hop back in it and get around to snapping some pictures of the wiring and mid mounts

21 - 25 of 25 Posts