DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Thanks to the help of several members suggestions and some free time I was able to install a full 3 way active front array in my 2019 WRX with base radio.After much deliberation and way too much back and forth on my part I ended up with a pretty fair to middling system in my daily driver. I drive about 20 miles each way to and from work and getting into my car I have a smile from ear to ear every time I get in the darned car and that was before the audio upgrade! I didn't want a bunch of exposed gear (work ain't in the best of neighborhoods) or having to modify a bunch of the car as I plan on keep it for a long time to come. The following is what I've got installed and just recently got tuned.I installed everything myself over the course of a weeks vacation that my way too understanding wife suggested. Thanks Honey!

Stock head unit ( for now )
Audio Frog GS-10, GS-25 and GS-60 in the front doors
Diamond Audio DES-652 in the rear doors (just a little "fill" )
Rockford Fosgate P3-10DV2 ( in a temporary .7 cu ft sealed box.
Audio Control D6.1200 ( powering the front 3 way active setup )
Audio Control LC6.1200 ( for the rear doors and bridged to the sub )

I realize I'm under utilizing the LC6 but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on it. I decided to keep the stock head unit at least for now as I like the stock look and unless I get a huge screen unit like a Halo or similar I wont be gaining any screen size to speak of. Besides it does what I ask it to for now. In the following posts I will include pictures and brief descriptions of the process. Again i wish to thank everyone who has given me advise either directly or indirectly through viewing their posts to learn from.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next up the speakers as mentioned above. Don't have a picture of the sub box as its embarrassingly awful to look at. It's just temporary as I ordered a pass side custom box from Wicked Audio to put the Rockford into.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran an old school 0-ga wire from the battery to the dist block in rear. This is of course OFC and thick as heck, diameter is somewhere between a nickle and a quarter in cross section. Not a bit of oxidation or corrosion in it. There is an unused plug on the drivers side kick panel above and to the left of the fuse box, where i assume the sunroof drain tube would go through, that i drilled out to be able to just barely run the power wire through.It worked perfectly as there was still enough material body left to properly seal and safely insulate the wire from the metal edge. Out back on the amp board I mounted the power and ground blocks. Everything is 0 ga as i figured since the amp can take it use it. I must admit this car seems tailor made to put an amazing system into I ran the power wire and the equivalent of a 4 ga power wire (the speed wire I'm using is the size of a 4 ga power wire) along the drivers side with not a single issue, plenty of space there. Same on the pass side for a double run of speed wire and rear door speaker wiring as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm using speed wire as follows; the 4 channels and supplementary turn on in one run along with a second run to power the front 3 way set up using 1 pair of wires to the tweets and another to the mid-range, the other 2 pair i combined to power the mid-basses in the front doors ( as suggested to me by Lanson I believe ). This should be enough to power the speakers comfortably i hope. The rear doors i ran a set of 14ga wires to each. Again with the ease of running wires in this car it was a piece of cake. I used quick disconnects at both kick panels in case in the future to dash has to come out for some reason. I was a Ford tech for 15 years and hated having to cut and re-splice audio wiring when a dash had to be pulled for whatever reason.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I purchased a large roll of SoundSkin Pro and their Speaker Ring kit to silence this car, 15% off was a good deal to me It's pretty buzzy to begin with so when I removed the door panels i lined the inside door skin as well as the skin where the water barrier plastic went originally. I took my time to cover as much as i possibly could of the metal whatever "extra" pieces from trimming was put to use as well. This car sounds freaking solid now! When you knock on a panel its simply dead solid. I took a video of the sound difference not sure it comes through but its night and day. I did the same to the decklid, trunk, trunk lid and spare tire well.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More sound deadening.......

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last bit of deadening, sorry i didn't take pictures of the rear deck itself but it was similarly covered. I also added material to the inside of the door panel itself and insulated the door panel clips holes and slots to get it as quiet as possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm using the high level inputs of the AC D6-1200 along with its signal sense to turn everything on (using that amps 12v trigger to turn on the LC6-1200) I simply mounted everything to board made of expanded PVC to allow access and use of my spare tire and tools. When you look in the trunk you see nothing ( save for the ugly box there right now ) and that is how i wanted it. I'll post an update picture once I get the custom box installed. The factory foam floor has some compartments that I simply cut flush to allow the amp rack to be where it is and it still allows me to use the trunk as normal. I did add a support to the center of the amp board extending to the underside of the carpeted stock ABS plastic as the pockets I cut away before used to sit on top of the spare tire to add strength and support.I will probably add a black wire mesh to the floor foam for aesthetic reasons.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The speakers were all mounted in their stock locations with speaker adapters i made out of the same expanded pvc. They are crude but seem to work fine so far. I am planning on getting some proper ones if I can find them, the front door adapters from Metra work "ok" but there is a large gap between the front of the speaker and the door panel due to the fact the stock speaker has a thick spacer to but up against the door panel. I used the speaker rings to take up that gap but i would prefer some custom or proper speaker adapters to bring the front of the speakers closer to the door panel speaker opening. The tweeters were the only "custom" thing I did simply mounted them to the A pillars as best i could as the surface isn't really flat. I looks ok but I'd like something nicer along the way. Since i was in the doors anyways i added turn signals into the mirrors using a kit from Subispeed and they are 100% stock oem, what you get in the package is all factory Subaru components in their original packaging.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed everything in November but hadn't uploaded till now due to simply neglecting to do so. As mentioned I just had it tuned by a local shop as i don't have the required equipment to do it myself. I hear a truck they did for a customer of mine at that simply sounded amazing so I figured I would have them do it. Cost me $200 which I think is fair for the time I know it takes to do ( dropped it off at 9:45 and picked up at: 4:30 ). It sounds good with a clear (to me) stage in front of me in preset 1 and the center of dash in preset 2 as i requested. I am alone in my car 90% of the time so i am priority number 1 but wanted my wife or whoever is in the car at the time to experience it as well. I have to do some detail rattle killing in the rear bumper and the rear deck also but it is pretty quiet when it comes to rattles etc.

I am happy with it but I am looking to be "wowed" by it not sure if i can explain but I feel it is missing some "body" or "fullness" to the sound. Maybe missing some midbass or midrange? I'm going to give it some time and see how I feel about it. Maybe go back and have him tweak some more. For now that's it, should get the sub enclosure in a couple weeks so I'll post that when it gets put in. Feel free to contact me with any questions or suggestions. Thanks again to everyone's advise and postings, without it I'd have been lost.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Looks really nice. Good job.

Did you get it tuned with a sub? You mention waiting on an enclosure and using a temp enclosure so it is unclear if you have a sub, which would definitely affect the fullness of sound. Maybe see what it sounds like with the final enclosure.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nice build. I have an 18 sti and I’m running active off the stock deck, LOC, DSP and I feel it’s lacking as well. I was so persistent on keeping a factory deck but I am changing it out this week to a Sony headunit. You have CarPlay and android auto so you have even more reason to keep your stock deck. Hopefully the new headunit helps.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Looks really nice. Good job.

Did you get it tuned with a sub? You mention waiting on an enclosure and using a temp enclosure so it is unclear if you have a sub, which would definitely affect the fullness of sound. Maybe see what it sounds like with the final enclosure.
Yes I got it tuned with the sub running, albiet with the temporary box. Which sounds perfectly capable for my likes. I will definitely look into it tuning again once I get the final box installed. Shouldn't be a drastic difference though, only about .15 to. 2 cu ft difference volume wise.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Nice build. I have an 18 sti and I’m running active off the stock deck, LOC, DSP and I feel it’s lacking as well. I was so persistent on keeping a factory deck but I am changing it out this week to a Sony headunit. You have CarPlay and android auto so you have even more reason to keep your stock deck. Hopefully the new headunit helps.
Been thinking of using a different source (ie my phone) wired directly to the d6 amp to see if there is an appreciable change. I have Tidal (hifi -master quality) which honestly doesn't seem like a difference to my ears right now. Maybe the source is a problem after all?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sooooo my sub enclosure came in from Wicked CAS. Must say I was very impressed with got and finish. Instructions on the website are a little vague but easy to make out if you pay attention. It is designed to sit in the metal floor of the trunk directly. Since I have heavily sound deadened the trunk top, bottom and sides it had to sit on my to of the SoundSkin. As such it slightly raised it from designed placement. The back of the enclosure has a small "nipple" that lines up with the "dimple" in the stock side panel exactly where one of the retaining clips goes. Idea is to drill out the center on the dimple and using a bolt secure the enclosure to the vehicle. I removed the right side longer and figured out which hole the nipple lines up with and inserted a rivet-nut into the hole, perfect fit for a 10/24 insert if I recall correctly. Since my box would be slightly raised due to the sound deadening I went with a stud coming from the rivet-nut instead of going crazy trying to line up the hole with a bolt from inside the enclosure. I easily lined up the stud with the hole in the dimple put a washer and nut on it and securely tightened the enclosure to the car. That isn't going anywhere and the thing looks freaking amazing if I say so myself! Small issue was installing the sub, my Rockford P3 10 uses a bit wider that usual mounting diameter due to the ears on the circumference of the basket, it's about 3/8"too wide to fit in the flush mount the enclosure was designed with. Fabbed up a spacer to bring it flush with the surface of the enclosure and voila, fits beautifully and once I get the grill I ordered it'll be safe and sound back there. Sound quality wise it seems to be a bit crisper of the makes sense. The enclosure is about .2 cu ft bigger than the test box I had it in (was .75, this thing is .95) I did fill it with about 10 to 12oz of fiber fill. It sounds good to me and I'm happy with the output it has. Heck if I ever want more I'll get a second one for the drivers side!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Even before I put a system into my car whenever I would simply shut the trunk I would hear buzz or rattle from the left bumper corner where the cover meets up with the 1\4 panel. Needless to say after putting a sub in there whenever even the slightest bass note hit it would buzz which would bother me to no end to know it sounds like a rattletrap from the outside. Found out that by simply laying a finger on the the center portion of the bumper\panel gap the noise would be completely gone. Well with the whole Corona virus thing going on the shop has been pretty slow so figured let's address this now. As I would have to say least remove that corner of the bumper I decided to remove the whole thing. I attached a piece of "flock tape" under the bumper retainer to ensure no noise from the contact of the metal and plastic. Then I covered the inside of the bumper cover and as much of the metal covered by the bumper cover possible. When I put it back on I found I still had a little bit of noise from the same area. Scratching my head I figured it must be the bumper cover vibrating against the surface of the retainer itself. Using the flock tape again I covered the retainer without blocking access to the holding tabs. That did it! Dead as a door nail, no more noise! I used the flock tape instead of the SoundSkin under the bumper retainer because I think it would have sperated the bracket too much from the metal causing the edge of the bumper to stick out instead of being flush to the 1\4 panel.

1 - 20 of 242 Posts