DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I haven’t been around since 2014ish when I sold my Ram R/T I competed with. I always planned to play again but other truck builds were sold before I got to the audio. I picked up this Explorer ST a little over a year ago and after selling yet another custom truck the funds magically appeared to do the audio I had in mind.
The ST is fairly modded…lowered, forged wheels, big brakes, runs mid-11’s…basically everything an Explorer shouldn’t have or do.
I've already completed an extensive deadening job on it. Right at 3 bulk packs of Stinger Roadkill Expert plus several rolls of 1/4 and 1/2” Dynaliner and Dynapad. I did that a while back just killing time. I also have Black Hole Tiles to add to the front doors when I install the drivers.
I picked up all of my gear at MTI since they’re local to me. The list is:
Nav TV Zen A2B
Helix DSP.3 with the Director
Mosconi Pro 1/10, 2/10 and 4/10 amps
Focal ES 165KX3 front
Illusion C12XL sub
All power and speaker wiring is Stinger HPE with Stinger 8000 series RCA’s and Stinger X series Toslink cables.
I also grabbed all the speaker mounting rings from MTI…those are very nice products.
I don’t plan to run any rear fill and I’m going to start by using all the oem door locations. Everything will be under a false floor with the sub using the spare tire well. I have a couple of business trips to get done and I hope to start fabricating in 2 weeks. Thought I’d get a build thread started now.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know…I went overboard with the CLD but I had the stuff and I was already in that deep so this is what happened.

Attachments

Reactions: rton20s and lithium

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Reactions: rton20s

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
396 Posts
you running an engine tune?
i had 2.7L TT Taurus that was stock 325hp, 380tq.
there were tunes avail for 400hp, i did not do.
also my car had a stupid plastic oil pan + leaky oil pan seal, errrrgh Ford!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you running an engine tune?
i had 2.7L TT Taurus that was stock 325hp, 380tq.
there were tunes avail for 400hp, i did not do.
also my car had a stupid plastic oil pan + leaky oil pan seal, errrrgh Ford!
I run an E50 tune daily.

Reactions: JohnnyOhh

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Nice setup. I looked at those, actually had a deal setup for one, but the dealer sold the car out from under me before I could get over to buy it. All for the best, I got my tbss instead. Have they fixed the stupid layout for the 360 camera yet?

Interested to see what you do with this. If I don't end up in a trackhawk/Durango hellcat, whatever mid cycle refresh comes out might be an option. Assuming they fix the cheapness. That big slit in the passenger carpet was a big turn off for me. But I'm apparently difficult to please.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol I know all about them. I have been developing on the platform since gen 1 3.5

Low 12's more realistic on that setup. Any meth? e85?
First, this isn’t a 3.5. I was running 12.0’s on 93 and went deep into the 11s on E50. My guess is you actually don’t know all about the new 3.0 and 10R60 combo. There are many of us into the 11s with several running low 11s and one guy has broken into the high 10’s. You can question whatever you want but maybe you need to look deeper into the new ST’s before you call someone a liar.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
First, this isn’t a 3.5. I was running 12.0’s on 93 and went deep into the 11s on E50. My guess is you actually don’t know all about the new 3.0 and 10R60 combo. There are many of us into the 11s with several running low 11s and one guy has broken into the high 10’s. You can question whatever you want but maybe you need to look deeper into the new ST’s before you call someone a liar.
You're a brave man for sure, the new 3.0 definitely makes some power but I'm terrified of its reliability. If Ford was gonna be so cheap to put a plastic drain pan in, I can't imagine they're gonna hold up to aftermarket boost levels.

I suppose time will tell, but all I could convince myself was safe was an upgraded intercooler and better exhaust.

Speaking of which, how will your system with with the FENG?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're a brave man for sure, the new 3.0 definitely makes some power but I'm terrified of its reliability. If Ford was gonna be so cheap to put a plastic drain pan in, I can't imagine they're gonna hold up to aftermarket boost levels.

I suppose time will tell, but all I could convince myself was safe was an upgraded intercooler and better exhaust.

Speaking of which, how will your system with with the FENG?
The plastic oil pans are fine…I have zero concerns with it. I have almost 30K on the car with 25+ of that at 500+ whp…it’s been dead reliable. Zero issues at all actually. As for the FENG that annoying crap was disabled a long time ago. lol

·
Registered
2019 Subaru WRX Base 6-speed
645 Posts
I'll agree with the plastic oil pan not being an issue. The 6.7L diesel has had a plastic pan since 2011 and it's not a "week point"by any means. We've not seen a single engine related issue of the ST so far.

Build is looking sick by the way.

I actually borrowed a lesser level Explorer for a weekend and was really impressed with the sound, at least as far as the staging. I could visually see where the tweeters we located but if i ignored they're locations i could swear they were up on the dash and very wide apart. Even more interesting was the change by simply turning my head to say look at a blind spot or something.

Can't wait to see the rest of this!

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I didn't say it was a 3.5, I said I have been developing performance parts for the Eco Platform since the Gen 1 3.5. You know I helped the first ST to get tuned.

I will let you think what you want. See ya on the other side.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't say it was a 3.5, I said I have been developing performance parts for the Eco Platform since the Gen 1 3.5. You know I helped the first ST to get tuned.

I will let you think what you want. See ya on the other side.
If you know anything about them then you know what I’m saying is 100% possible. The tuner I work with holds the ST record and probably the next 10 quickest times after that…mine is somewhere in that mix. Believe what you want…the numbers are what they are. I said it runs mid-11’s and it runs mid 11’s. Catch a lane any time you wanna find out…or join my High Performance Explorer ST group on FB and educate yourself.
Now back to the audio portion of this program.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I feel like I'd be the guy who gets the plastic oil pan that didn't have enough plastisizer, or gets punctured by road debris or something and smokes the engine.

To me, it's just unacceptable at the price point. It might be "fine", but it's not like it's some amazing value, it's priced pretty competitively in its segment, but with some random places they really cut corners.

If they were MSRP like 10k cheaper, I guess I could be OK with it.. The one I had a deal on was 62k, fully loaded. The chassis on it is fantastic, but that's still a lot of money to spend IMO.

Either way, looks like it's gonna be an awesome build.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts