DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I hope you found something that works for you. This works for me.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If these were your only 2 options which do you choose? The yellow circle is where the midrange will be. Midbass will be in the oem lower door location.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It took a lot of searching and several phone calls but I finally secured the 1/2” and 3/4” 13 ply Baltic Burch for the enclosure, trim panels and false floor. I was starting to get nervous.
I have the 1/2” and 1” square tubing to weld up the floating amp rack on hand. This weekend will be fun….it’s play time.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My office floor is filling up. Almost all the wiring, RCA’s and other install supplies are here. Waiting on some magnets for trim panels and 15 uF caps for tweeter protection which are on the way then I think I’m done.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
3/4” 13 ply Baltic Birch for the sub floor and enclosure and 1/2” 10 ply for the trim panels.

Reactions: Slow Cruiser

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Got the last things I was waiting on…the DSP.3 and Black Hole tiles.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Complete and total overkill…but I like it so it’s going in. Stinger HPM 12 gauge for the front stage and HPM 8 gauge for the sub.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Had some fun today even though it’s about a million degrees around here. Thank god for our Big Ass Fans shop fans…I had a 6’ diameter one aimed at me all day. lol
Got the enclosure done…it bolts in from the inside where the oem Jack and spare would bolt down. It’s solid. I always wanted a floating amp rack…so I built myself one. lol
The enclosure is several inches longer than needed…I built a 4” deep pocket hidden on the back for a place to stash any excess wire and mount the distribution blocks. The rack bolts to the side of that with 1/2” bolts and big fender washers. I’ll try to get the trim panel for the enclosure done tomorrow…then on to wiring next weekend. It feels good to be back in the game.

Enclosure is glued and screwed…it’s a tank.

T-nuts in place and trimmed.

Test fit just to make sure I did my math right.

And the final mock up with the amps just sitting in place. I really like how it’s turning out. There’s 1.25” between the surround and rack…should have no issues.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
1st trim panel complete. The amps will be flipped and all wiring will run straight into the oem trim panel behind them. Virtually no wires will be seen. This panel is held in place with neo magnets. The final trim panel will be press fit where the factory piece goes. I’ll order new Mosconi badges so I can flip them the right way.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Final trim panel. I’m waiting for the mesh to flush into it then I can seal and cover it.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Got the tweeters ready today. I wanted to add caps for back-up protection…didn’t even have to figure it out myself…looked up the formula on Google and found a video a guy made using these exact TKMX tweeters…so I copied. They’re 15uF 100V Electrolytic Non-Polarized Crossover Capacitor’s.
And forgive the soldering…I may touch that iron twice a decade. I’ll add some Tessa tape to keep them from rattling around later

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Lookin good!

Just a heads up - if you end up with turn on pop, it’s being caused by those caps. There are some fairly easy fixes, but I just wanted to let you know.
Do you mean that particular cap or a cap in general? I’ve used caps like this in the past with no issues but likely not this exact part.

·
Registered
2015 Toyota Camry V6
824 Posts
Caps in general. It typically only happens with class D amps.

I just wanted to mention it because I scratched my head for a long time trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

I just wanted to mention it because I scratched my head for a long time trying to figure it out.
Gotcha. The front stage is AB power like I’ve always done.

Reactions: Chris12

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Looks awesome. Did you decide on a tweeter location yet? I'd personally put it in the stock location. But I hate stuff that looks non stock.

·
Registered
06 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
82 Posts

Thanx for this info

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Looks awesome. Did you decide on a tweeter location yet? I'd personally put it in the stock location. But I hate stuff that looks non stock.
I’m gonna start with the stock locations and see where that takes me.

21 - 40 of 90 Posts