DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 RAM Limited - Helix V Twelve, Helix D One, JL 10TW3
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I posted this in the wrong section at first so here it is again to opefuloy help anyone else doing a RAM in the future.

My RAM came with the HK "19" Speaker System, so 12 speaker locations.
Dash L/C/R (3.5's)
Upper Front Doors (3.5's)
Lower Front Doors (6x9's)
Lower Rear Doors (6x9's)
Upper Rear Headliner L/R (3.5's)
Rear Back Wall Subwoofer (8?)

So far I've done:
PAC AmpPro with TOSLINK output (Using optical cable)
Helix V Twelve DSP running all stock speakers using factory speaker wires (Tapped in with APHCH03 harness)
  • Wifi Control
  • Helix D One pushing a JL 10TW3-D4 in a 2 Ohm (Just sitting in an enclosure for now on the rear floor waiting for an MTI stage 1 to go under the seat)

For tuning I'm using an Audio Control sa4100i (First time using a mic and RTA for tuning) and the Helix software.

So far I think it sounds the best it can for factory speakers. Night and day from original amp and tune that's for sure, but I'm sure a more experienced tuner could get it sounding even better. I listen to a huge variety of music, from EDM to Hip Hop to Rock to Country to Jazz ... I've been doing a lot of reading about best component options and have a nice mix and match going almost ready for install.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Speakers so far:

BLAM L165P 6.5 Component set (Front midbass and tweeters in dash). Curious to see how these are going to be since not too many people seem to have tried them but I'm excited.

HAT L3SE 3.7 mid widebands (Hopefully can squeeze them into the front upper doors)

HAT L2SE mid widebands (Rear headliner mid hi fill)

Audiofrog GB25 midrange (Dash center channel or upper doors if the HATS don't fit)

Will post some pics when I get around to installing them.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subscribe. I'm actually thinking about ordering this same V Twelve amp too lately. Does it start-up fast (no long delay)? Does the box/heatsink run cold/warm/hot? Thanks
The start up delay is not bad at all, usually about 5-8 sec on ignition on state, but that could be partly the amppro starting up as well. The heat factor, I have the amps mounted behind the rear wall carpet with no holes cutout and so far I've seen 28 to 29 celsius reading from the Helix software. I am probably going to cutout some carpet for some hot air to vent when it starts getting hot out (soon).

I'm really happy with the v twelve so far and even the D one is performing very well with the JL 10TW3 in 2 ohm. Highly recommend the wifi control for it, I'm always playing with the tune and learning more everyday.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Subscribe. I'm actually thinking about ordering this same V Twelve amp too lately. Does it start-up fast (no long delay)? Does the box/heatsink run cold/warm/hot? Thanks

I currently have a V Eight installed. I'm moving to this new guy later this month. The V Eight takes maybe around 3 or 4 seconds to start up when coupled to a high speed MOST adapter in my Macan. I expect the V Twelve will be the same. My sound comes on by the time my head units screen exits its opening logo. The lag is so low I don't even think about it.

EDIT: The amp runs warm to the touch after listening to music pretty loud for my 45minute commutes.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
I'm just wondering why the fu uck Dodge thinks they need 19 speakers in a [email protected] pickup truck? Does audio quality equate to how many cheap and sh!tty distorted paper / plastic cone speakers you can cram into a vehicle?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Sub'd - I have a 19 Ram with the Alpine, but would like to see what success you have before tearing ours apart. Have the AmpPro like you with optical add-on, and an Arc PS8 - but the thought of retaining the center channel is very intriguing.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Just.call.me.d How did you mount the amp rack to the rear wall of the cab? Been considering doing this but not really wanting to screw/bolt through the back wall of the cab.
If you look closely at the top of the board, you'll see too steel brackets that I made out of an L bracket and bent to go around the curve of the rear wall. The bolts are going into the original threaded holes that would have been used for the etorque battery mounting. Some sound deadening on the rear wall before I put the board up, PL on the back of the board and some great stuff foam just to fill in the gap between the ridges of the rear wall in case it vibrates a bit, and on the left side of the board there is some raised spots that I put a screw into to hold the board down a little better as well.
Pic here of someone else's I used for reference and planning before I got too it. The board is half inch sintra board, nice stuff to work with and light too. I remounted the fiber optic cable for the passive entry clips onto the board as well.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After much debate about foam and CCF for the midbass, I just ordered these, seems like a good option to keep some moisture off the back of the speakers without impeding the door volume for correct operation and also the rubber seems like it should be enough to fit in between the front of the speaker and the grills.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sub'd - I have a 19 Ram with the Alpine, but would like to see what success you have before tearing ours apart. Have the AmpPro like you with optical add-on, and an Arc PS8 - but the thought of retaining the center channel is very intriguing.
It already sounds way better with the factory speakers and just playing with the tune. It's nice to have the tuning options even just with the factory speakers for now. Can't wait to get all the speakers in and the final tune(s) complete.
I guess you could run a center if you were willing to go with a mix of passive and active setup so you could still utilize your PS8. Though I don't know much about the PS8, haven't done any research on it. Could always switch it out with the MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12 V2.0 😆. This addiction adds up real quick lol

·
Registered
175 Posts
ok where do you guys order your Helix V DSP from? (maybe PM me. I saw the MSC America website already.) Thanks
Local Helix dealer. If you have none nearby SkiZeR is the only authorized dude to ship Helix stuff, but I believe that's a last resort bit.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well little update on the system install. Got the BLAM tweeters in with some cheap metra brackets for the time being until I get some more access to a router for some nylon 3/8 material I have. Have to say even without a tune completed (Just a few tweeks on the DSP) these tweets really brighten things up and present some excellent clarity that was definitely not present before.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts