DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
Grabber Lime 2020 Shelby GT350
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Pulled the box out of the car this afternoon. I was worried the sub wouldn't come out easily, but that was silly. I drilled the holes in the box to mount the box to the trunk floor and test fit those - lined up perfectly. I hope to be able to wrap the box tomorrow.

I downloaded the mini DSP app and made an initial config with routing, crossovers and TA. Should be good to go on Wednesday or Thursday when it gets delivered.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
That's probably the last box I'll be making, I hate wrapping that thing so much, the front turned out great. It should have enough coverage to protect the sub when it gets removed.

you can see many of the seams on the back where they are scrunched together

Finished

At least the box was the easiest to install so far. The two bolts in the bottom have it secure in the car.
The MiniDSP came today, it was raining outside so I set it up inside.

The meter was to reset the power supply so 12v down from 14.

I then got impatient and put it in the car and turned the DSP off on the AudioControl. I didn't have time to listen very much. I took a version of the time alignment that was in my phone, it may be right of center, I'll have to listen some more first.

I didn't actually secure the mini DSP to the board, I'll have to figure something out since I'm lacking in room. I have a feeling the tire inflator is going to get a new home, the SI 1500.1 AB amp looks really tempting...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Had a weird thing happen when I pulled in to work. I turned off the car and all my amps and DSP stayed on. I powered the mini DSP from a switched 12v and set the remote switch to 1 to just go by power on/off. The switched power kept trying to turn off but it turned back on a half second later.

I switched the setting to 2 and ran constant 12 and a separate switched 12 for remote on and things are happy now. I have bass, it's still lacking a bit in the super low but I hope to tune that back in. The SI SQL12 was easier to put into the box than I thought it would be so I'm very happy about that.

If I turn it all the way up it sounds really good. I've been listening to my tuning playlist and it sounds better than my last setting without the mini but I think that was because I left the AudioControl on the wrong setting :/
Time alignment is off a bit but I'll just remeasure it all when I get a chance to tune the system.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Started on a piece to insert into the spot in front of the shifter that will hold the mini DSP remote.

I knew it wasn't going to fit so I was just trying to get better shapes and check the dimensions.

I ended up with a mess on the first try of printing the second revision.

I did a quick and dirty tune to remove the peaks and added a low shelf to boost the bass a bit. The spectrum wasn't great but it wasn't awful either.

I'll hopefully be able to hook up my UMM-6 tomorrow and make another attempt at a better tune.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Went through about 20 different versions of the model in Fusion 360, Blender and Tinkercad.

The bottom piece was what I was aiming to reproduce but missed. It came close with the piece that that sits on removed from the car. It's a wedgelike fit and doesn't go anywhere. I'm going to roll with it for a while until I can make the model with the inside hollowed out and I hope to finish it down smooth and a close paint match to the center.

The USB port is vertical so I can get the piece out, when I'm done with the real piece, I'll put it horizontal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Did a little bit of work today, finally added some protection caps on the tweeters and put down some light colored carpet around the spare tire well to make it look cleaner vs just the black Noico.

I still have to tune it, but other mods have taken priority, I got some new wheels and added some overlays to the calipers and lug nuts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Decided I needed some more bling so I picked up a new sheet of plywood to make a new amp board to hold the SI 1500.1 amp I just ordered.

I ordered three of the NVX silicone speaker surround things, I put two in my wife's car to see how they sounded, it didn't kill the midbass on her car so I'll put the last pair in my car soon. I have some of the boommat cups for the 3.5" that I'll probably put in at the same time, most likely cutting the end off. I'm mainly concerned with keeping the water off as much as possible.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I've been working on a layout for a new amp board, planning on getting an SIQ 75.4 when the SIQ1500.1 comes in and running both amps with the D6.1200 on 2 channels. I'll probably put the mini DSP on a stand at the top and wrap the rca cables back underneath.

I really want to get the green power wire from Sky High, but the way the layout currently is you won't see much of the wire so the bling factor isn't really there. But I like being able to isolate the power and ground better this way.
There will be a grommet in the center to send the output signals under the board.

Composite top and bottom layout

Top side signals is on the left
Bottom side power is on the right

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Final configuration for this amp setup, I should have an SIQ1500.1 coming soon and then the new amp board.

I got tired of pulling all the speaker wires through the grommet when I would remove the board so I added some disconnects to the speaker wires. The old wires were also too short after I added the caps on the tweeter wires so now I have enough length to comfortably run the wires.

I still need to tune and check out the NVX speaker surround thing I got a while ago.

The air compressor that was at the top has been relocated to a shelf I made to hold that and some tools, now there's plenty of room for the future.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
The layouts above won't work after trying them on the actual amp board, I thought I had more room but I'm about a half inch short, so the front stage amps will go back to back in the center. The SIQ75.4 claims it'll be here Sunday, so it should be a good day.
I then realized that the bolts holding the amp board will be under one or more amps, so that's going to suck. I have plenty of inserts so I'll use those for the center amps. Removing the existing amp board was not bad at all, almost fun since I added the plugs.

I routed a recess for the metal piece that the board attaches to, it gets me a little bit more height to the trunk floor so I can float the MiniDSP.

I ordered a couple of different pieces for covering the board, I like the hologramy one but that's completely smooth and shiny. My next favorite is the hex one, the plain leather is probably going to be used to redo some chairs in the house.

I may need to re-cover the shelf in whatever I choose for the board.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I used a sharpie and ran it against the edge of the wheel well to try get an even spacing around the top edge. After sanding it down I wasn't satisfied with the spacing so I laid down some wire and traced the edge off that, should be nice and even now.

I'll probably not go all the way to the line I just drew, but it'll be a starting point.

I went back over the layout and realized I wouldn't have enough room to lay the power wires flat, so I drew up some standoffs.

I'll start with these,and see how it goes, o may switch to stacking them 4 tall vertically, but that will be determined after I get the amps down.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Contrary to FedEx'a best efforts, I got the 75.4 in one piece. The packing around the box really saved the day.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Yeah, it's definite eye candy, I'm excited to have them all three in. It also seems like it's slightly smaller in dimensions than I was planning for so that can only help with placement.

On an unrelated note, the inevitable happened, but in PLAs defense, there is no support for the top.

My friend had repeatedly asked me if it had melted yet, but today it was hot enough. I have tint on all windows so I was hoping that it would be cool enough to prevent it. But the sun does shine on it for most of the day, so I will reprint it with PETG which shouldn't deform like this. I'm also going to start using my sunshade again and I'll be interested to see the temp difference afterwards.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru WRX Base 6-speed
645 Posts
Sunshades do make a difference man, I've got a folding for one for my WRX (actually came with it) and I'm the Miami heat it make a very noticeable difference. Getting in the car at 2 pm pure Sun, it's bearable in there. Besides you don't want the sun beating down in the display anyways. Nice build man!

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Thanks! It was starting to sprinkle so I got distracted and forgot to check the temp in the car, but I don't remember it being overly hot.

I did rig the SIQ75.4 up to the mid bass and tweeters to check if it was working and it powered up ok and I had sound. I didn't set the gains yet soI can't comment on the sound.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
The 1500.1 is now shipping so I have to get to making the board useful. I need to make one of the amps removable so I put in threaded inserts for the 75.4's. The RCAs could be interesting, I have less room than I thought.

insert time

test fit

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Removed the old board, amps and power distribution today and started on the new board.

I got the holes drilled and grommets for the speaker wires, RCA cables and power meter. I need to wait for the sub amp to come tomorrow to put the switches for remote turn on on/off.

The power and ground for the two front amps was run a little oversized until I can make the standoffs and get them to the right lengths.

Tomorrow the amp and new longer RCA cables will be here. I have a different idea for mounting the MiniDSP that will require gluing some acrylic together. Space is a lot less now that I have more things on the board, but it should still look good.

Reactions: bbfoto

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Got the 1500.1 in today, it looks great.

I got the speaker and RCA cables routed and secured. I had to unbind them from the way I had originally and rerout and shorten most.

I haven't put the lights back on, not sure about that,this board is getting heavy.

I have to get some more clips for the power wires and I have to get a 3/4" bit. I'm going to have one switch for master remote turn on and another to override the amplifiers. I still need to make the stand for the MiniDSP, hopefully that shouldn't be too difficult, 4 pieces of plexi and some heat.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Those amps do look terrific! I’m looking forward to your impressions when playing them. I heard them in Nick’s car, and I thought they were fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

41 - 60 of 77 Posts