·
Registered
2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road -
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I started this build in July of 2021
Here is my current set up
3 way active (- started with a Hertz H8 with the remote (for sale) ) but now running through PS8 Pro w/ PSC for main volume - source is a Fiio DAC running optical directly into PS8, iPad Pro with USB-C or iPhone with camera connection kit my sources, Apple music has lossless streaming now ALAC 24bit/48kHz. Factory Entune 3 head unit not connected

Audiofrog GS10 - custom aluminum dash pods (insert seller) on axis a-pillars, Moving to sail panels to help soundstage
Audiofrog GS25 - custom aluminum dash pods (mounted on axis on dash)
Audiofrog GB60 - Factory door mounted - Started off with GS60s (I have them for sale) bought them from crutchfield back in july 2021

I'm powering the left and right stage each with their own Arc Audio X2 450.4 (CH 1 TW & 2 Mid Range, 85 watts @ 4 ohms) (Ch 3 & 4 bridged go to the GB60 200W @ 4ohms)

Subs I started with 2 JL Audio 12TW1-4 (for sale) wired in series to an Alpine A60M (for sale) with plans on building a box behind the rear seat, The TW1s are deeper and it would of required cutting metal/panels) Looking into 13TW5-2 (for sale) those are shallower and i thought i could make it work but the box has to be bigger and that presents the same challenge. I also poorly attempted to build a box for one of the 12's and i bought a small one for the other sub. I wanted to make my own enclosure but I'm not skilled enough yet.
so I bit the bullet and sourced one. I ended up call Mr Marv and he gave some valuable input on my system design. I ended up doing 2 10TW5-D4 will be wired in series to my Amp.
Upgraded my sub amp on Black Friday to an Audison SR 1.500 - that will give the 10TW-5s 1000W @ 1ohm

I'm now trying to figure out how to integrate my factory HU so i can retain reverse camera, apple car play for nav, steering wheel controls etc
I purchased an idatalink maestro rr2 and the T03 Harness thinking that my PS8 could integrate the sound through the IOEM adapter but it's for the Maestro AR and for system that have a factory amp. :(

I looked at the taco tunes DSP amp wiring integration kit which is a viable option (i'll have to figure out how to DeQ the factory signal) and just run optical with a smaller ipad and my Fiio. connect the stock HU with the wiring kit and only use it for calls and navigation, but that doesn't give me steering wheel controls back (kinda important)
any way to get steering controls with out loosing sound quality by going through factory head unit?

I've always wanted an iPad in the dash. like doug from soundman, (funny enough he was my neighbor growing up) so that's how I got started with the hertz dsp and then the 3 way active. The iPad was actually the main goal and audio was secondary just as long as it was better than stock, after dropping quite a bit of money and driving my truck for work every day I realized the iPad wasn't worth losing the convenience of the factory set up and I was using my phone or ipad to optical any way. so i came up with the solution aboved.

I found out about the Sony RSX-GS9 and that looks like that answer to my iPad integration problem
I get optical to my PS8 Pro
Hi quality audio from iPad to the GS9 and that means steering controls come back as well as bluetooth phone (maybe?)
I can get the dash mount kit from doug and put the GS9 behind the ipad and use the PSC to control the volume and my ipad will be my "Infotainment screen" Even digital guages with a Bluetooth OBD read i have installed now) but it means I loose my front and rear camera

Any suggestions on a way to keep my cameras? anytimebackupcamera.com sells adapters and switches to plug in more cameras to the factory system and it's coax video out. so i was thinking I could find a small 5" monitor (cheap on ebay/amazon) 3D print an enclosure and mount it somewhere. Unless there was a way to get the video to display in the dash mounted ipad?

I know pioneer sells floating head units that can be mounted separately from the body the DMH-C2550NEX, I could mount the chassis behind the ipad dash and the run the screen somewhere and mount it that would give me the ability to use the screen for the back up cameras. but it doesn't have optical out and I really love how it sounds. so the sony is looking like the solution.

sony just released the XAV-9500 ES which is supposed to be like a GS9 in terms of SQ. but it does have Optical out.
It's a 10" floating screen which would mean i loose the iPad. If they made a break out cable then I could mount the Sony screen elsewhere.

After typing this out i'm learning towards the GS9, mounting my 12.9 M1 Ipad Pro in the dash, optical to ps8 and use the psc as the volume knob.
Anyone have any ideas on a back up camera? maybe my small monitor idea?

TL;DR
-Any solutions for ipad dash mount and keeping back up/front cameras?

-Keeping stock entune unit. connect to PS8 for calls and navigation, iPad mini 6 w/ 5G to Fiio optical to PS8 Pro and PSC as master volume.

-after market head unit, maybe the new sony on another large screen at least 10" SQ HU and then I can run both apple car play or optical.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Hello,
I started this build in July of 2021
Here is my current set up
3 way active (- started with a Hertz H8 with the remote (for sale) ) but now running through PS8 Pro w/ PSC for main volume - source is a Fiio DAC running optical directly into PS8, iPad Pro with USB-C or iPhone with camera connection kit my sources, Apple music has lossless streaming now ALAC 24bit/48kHz. Factory Entune 3 head unit not connected

Audiofrog GS10 - custom aluminum dash pods (insert seller) on axis a-pillars, Moving to sail panels to help soundstage
Audiofrog GS25 - custom aluminum dash pods (mounted on axis on dash)
Audiofrog GB60 - Factory door mounted - Started off with GS60s (I have them for sale) bought them from crutchfield back in july 2021

I'm powering the left and right stage each with their own Arc Audio X2 450.4 (CH 1 TW & 2 Mid Range, 85 watts @ 4 ohms) (Ch 3 & 4 bridged go to the GB60 200W @ 4ohms)

Subs I started with 2 JL Audio 12TW1-4 (for sale) wired in series to an Alpine A60M (for sale) with plans on building a box behind the rear seat, The TW1s are deeper and it would of required cutting metal/panels) Looking into 13TW5-2 (for sale) those are shallower and i thought i could make it work but the box has to be bigger and that presents the same challenge. I also poorly attempted to build a box for one of the 12's and i bought a small one for the other sub. I wanted to make my own enclosure but I'm not skilled enough yet.
so I bit the bullet and sourced one. I ended up call Mr Marv and he gave some valuable input on my system design. I ended up doing 2 10TW5-D4 will be wired in series to my Amp.
Upgraded my sub amp on Black Friday to an Audison SR 1.500 - that will give the 10TW-5s 1000W @ 1ohm

I'm now trying to figure out how to integrate my factory HU so i can retain reverse camera, apple car play for nav, steering wheel controls etc
I purchased an idatalink maestro rr2 and the T03 Harness thinking that my PS8 could integrate the sound through the IOEM adapter but it's for the Maestro AR and for system that have a factory amp. :(

I looked at the taco tunes DSP amp wiring integration kit which is a viable option (i'll have to figure out how to DeQ the factory signal) and just run optical with a smaller ipad and my Fiio. connect the stock HU with the wiring kit and only use it for calls and navigation, but that doesn't give me steering wheel controls back (kinda important)
any way to get steering controls with out loosing sound quality by going through factory head unit?

I've always wanted an iPad in the dash. like doug from soundman, (funny enough he was my neighbor growing up) so that's how I got started with the hertz dsp and then the 3 way active. The iPad was actually the main goal and audio was secondary just as long as it was better than stock, after dropping quite a bit of money and driving my truck for work every day I realized the iPad wasn't worth losing the convenience of the factory set up and I was using my phone or ipad to optical any way. so i came up with the solution aboved.

I found out about the Sony RSX-GS9 and that looks like that answer to my iPad integration problem
I get optical to my PS8 Pro
Hi quality audio from iPad to the GS9 and that means steering controls come back as well as bluetooth phone (maybe?)
I can get the dash mount kit from doug and put the GS9 behind the ipad and use the PSC to control the volume and my ipad will be my "Infotainment screen" Even digital guages with a Bluetooth OBD read i have installed now) but it means I loose my front and rear camera

Any suggestions on a way to keep my cameras? anytimebackupcamera.com sells adapters and switches to plug in more cameras to the factory system and it's coax video out. so i was thinking I could find a small 5" monitor (cheap on ebay/amazon) 3D print an enclosure and mount it somewhere. Unless there was a way to get the video to display in the dash mounted ipad?

I know pioneer sells floating head units that can be mounted separately from the body the DMH-C2550NEX, I could mount the chassis behind the ipad dash and the run the screen somewhere and mount it that would give me the ability to use the screen for the back up cameras. but it doesn't have optical out and I really love how it sounds. so the sony is looking like the solution.

sony just released the XAV-9500 ES which is supposed to be like a GS9 in terms of SQ. but it does have Optical out.
It's a 10" floating screen which would mean i loose the iPad. If they made a break out cable then I could mount the Sony screen elsewhere.

After typing this out i'm learning towards the GS9, mounting my 12.9 M1 Ipad Pro in the dash, optical to ps8 and use the psc as the volume knob.
Anyone have any ideas on a back up camera? maybe my small monitor idea?

TL;DR
-Any solutions for ipad dash mount and keeping back up/front cameras?

-Keeping stock entune unit. connect to PS8 for calls and navigation, iPad mini 6 w/ 5G to Fiio optical to PS8 Pro and PSC as master volume.

-after market head unit, maybe the new sony on another large screen at least 10" SQ HU and then I can run both apple car play or optical.
Why don’t you get an aftermarket head unit and use the MAESTRO RR to retain your back up camera OEM settings like auto headlights, and all that stuff. I have a Toyota Corolla and that is what I use… The OEM head units in Toyotas put out a pretty poor signal I would highly recommend against using them if it all possible.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road -
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I have the RR2 I got for a steal of a price and the wiring harness came in for my truck. I’m actually gonna get the Sony GSX stereo so I have controls and Bluetooth calls. Then I’m gonna mount my iPad in front of it.
yeah factory Toyota signal is hard to get flat because of the all pass filters. It seemed to work great when It used The H8 and their auto De EQ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts