DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some simple sealed boxes I'm working on right now - first, one for a pair of 12" Brahmas & next, a sealed box for a 15" Brahma. Power is 2,000 @ 2 ohm from an Mmats M2000.2.

The two 12"s will get 1.15 cuft each, in separate chambers. As always, 3/4" Baltic Birch... :)

I know, I know. I didn't miter the joints properly... I didn't feel like doing all kinds of geometry! ;)

This box doesn't really need much bracing as the individual panel runs are pretty short, BUT I decided to have some fun with some wood scraps!

All the joints are really clean and tight, I'm extremely ocd about that. I don't like to fill in cracks, if it doesn't fit tight I cut another board...

That's as far as I got for now. It will be finished with carpet, perforated aluminum and red LEDs...

The destination:

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm nice 👍 .. got 45-degrees angle/design there like a gaming product 🤩
Hmmmmm, you're right. I never thought about that...

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
subscribed. 🍿

Reactions: DavidRam

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Regarding the upcoming 15" box build... I'm pushing it trying to get the 3.4 cu.ft in my little 2 door Jeep. I'm thinking of facing the sub towards the tailgate? Is that good or bad for sound, compared to aiming it forward nearly pressed up against the back of the seat?

Btw, here are the 15" Brahma specs:

Also, I had a weird idea to make a sealed/ported box with a panel that swapped out to an external, pvc pipe/port! Now do you see why I don't drink or do drugs?!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I have my sub/box facing the back panel in both my CX5 and in my Sienna and it works well, especially with cabin gain. An external port for a bass reflex box is nothing new and can save a lot of space because you don’t have to subtract the ports displacement from within the box, which makes for tidier box dimensions.

You can also always build a test box too to try out different positions before you commit to one. A DSP also helps with minor phase adjustment.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have my sub/box facing the back panel in both my CX5 and in my Sienna and it works well, especially with cabin gain. An external port for a bass reflex box is nothing new and can save a lot of space because you don’t have to subtract the ports displacement from within the box, which makes for tidier box dimensions.

You can also always build a test box too to try out different positions before you commit to one. A DSP also helps with minor phase adjustment.
I was thinking I could simply have a square panel that either bolted in a flat cover, OR bolted in a pvc port.
Interestingly, the 15" Brahma has similar recommendations both sealed and ported (not saying both are necessarily optimal).

Now that I think about it, despite having a lot of different set-ups, I've never had a rear facing sub. I've had forward, up and down, but not rear facing.

·
Registered
389 Posts
i would face the sub towards the rear if you can.
hope you like the pair of brahma 12s. i have a pair of dual 2 being run at 2 ohms on a crossfire c7-3k. enclosure is around 4 cu ft tuned around 30hz. i have an extra dual 2. maybe down the road i'll try 3 of them sealed to see how i like it.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rear facing generally gives you more output.

Interesting... Rear facing is the most convenient for building the box, too. So rear it is.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Interesting... Rear facing is the most convenient for building the box, too. So rear it is.
What did you do with that beast of a sub you had?

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would face the sub towards the rear if you can.
hope you like the pair of brahma 12s. i have a pair of dual 2 being run at 2 ohms on a crossfire c7-3k. enclosure is around 4 cu ft tuned around 30hz. i have an extra dual 2. maybe down the road i'll try 3 of them sealed to see how i like it.
Nice! What is that amp rated @ 2 ohm?

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What did you do with that beast of a sub you had?
Still have it. I'm just doing some experimenting to see what I like better... ;)

The 10" Hutchinson in a small-ish ported enclosure, vs. two 12" Brahmas in a small-ish sealed enclosure, vs. one 15" Brahma in a large sealed (and maybe ported enclosure).

·
Registered
157 Posts
I hope you're able to build the sealed/ported modular 15" box. Basically you're thinking of mounting the "port panel" similar to how one would mount a plexi window?

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope you're able to build the sealed/ported modular 15" box. Basically you're thinking of mounting the "port panel" similar to how one would mount a plexi window?
Yes, exactly.

Like the window in my current sub box, here is a sorta step by step:

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The two 12s arrived tonight, and they are big, beautiful drivers! I kinda regret building the box down firing, it'd be cool to see these beasts. 🤔
Adires website needs to show better pictures, they do not do them justice at all...

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Regarding the upcoming 15" box build... I'm pushing it trying to get the 3.4 cu.ft in my little 2 door Jeep. I'm thinking of facing the sub towards the tailgate? Is that good or bad for sound, compared to aiming it forward nearly pressed up against the back of the seat?

Also, I had a weird idea to make a sealed/ported box with a panel that swapped out to an external, pvc pipe/port! Now do you see why I don't drink or do drugs?!
It's not a weird idea, they do that with home theater subs, and I have done convertible/tuneable enclosures in cars.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts

Although, the XBL^2 subs tend to like large, very long ports.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Although, the XBL^2 subs tend to like large, very long ports.
Yes, gonna have to have it modeled to see if I can even fit a port, as the box itself is gonna take up almost the entire trunk volume... Which would make the port have to stick up and be visible through the rear windows.
Or I could poke it out of the roof like a periscope!

1 - 20 of 99 Posts