·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Reactions: Anu2g

·
Registered
241 Posts
Who said anything about money ;) lol. Hard for me to build boxes being physically disabled and not having the proper equipment. I did mine last time but next time I am just going to take the design plans and have Home Depot (I know the guy that does the cuts there so I know they will be right) and just bring it home & put it together vs the trouble I went through this fall. Just not able to do that stuff anymore.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Yes, gonna have to have it modeled to see if I can even fit a port, as the box itself is gonna take up almost the entire trunk volume... Which would make the port have to stick up and be visible through the rear windows.
Or I could poke it out of the roof like a periscope!
That's what I was picturing, a port that looks like a periscope/snorkel, it is a Jeep.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That's what I was picturing, a port that looks like a periscope/snorkel, it is a Jeep.
Yep, I'll just tell the "Jeep guys", that I go deeper than they do, hence the roof mounted snorkel! 💥

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Who said anything about money ;) lol. Hard for me to build boxes being physically disabled and not having the proper equipment. I did mine last time but next time I am just going to take the design plans and have Home Depot (I know the guy that does the cuts there so I know they will be right) and just bring it home & put it together vs the trouble I went through this fall. Just not able to do that stuff anymore.
If you were local I'd build you a box in a heart beat... My list of friends and neighbors that have my subs in their cars is growing. 👍

Reactions: Coolhand20th

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm installing this one right now

Reactions: pw91686

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks! Yeah I am in Northern Wisconsin 20 minutes from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. No one around here runs or builds boxes except in Green Bay and tbh I would only trust one shop there in town. But they charge an arm, a leg and sometimes both legs for any kind of custom box. They know they have the stuff cornered and they charge for it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Nice! What is that amp rated @ 2 ohm?
well, its rated 2200 watts @ 2 ohm. but on the dyno, bigdwiz tested one and it did over 3200 watts certified @ 2 ohms.

i can definitely smell some coil when i crank it...

Reactions: DavidRam

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
David, In the case of the Brahma 15, I would not put too much effort into a ported box for that driver. It appears from the model that it suits a sealed box better than a bass reflex box. Here is a picture of the two compared on 1200 watts. Notice how there isn't much gain in SPL down low and where there is gain is where cabin gain normally occurs, so you would have to remove that with a DSP anyway. In my opinion, I would concentrate on making a nice sealed box for that driver only. If you were into SPL competition, well then the ported box makes more sense in this case but not if you are going to try and use a DSP with a target curve to tune it down with cabin gain. If you didn't have enough amplifier power then the ported box would also make more sense but you have twice the power that the driver can safely take over a long period of time, at least thermally anyway. I modeled both on 1200 watts in 3.4 cu ft with the fb at 30.43 Hz.
Brahma 15 sealed vs ported.png

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
David, In the case of the Brahma 15, I would not put too much effort into a ported box for that driver. It appears from the model that it suits a sealed box better than a bass reflex box. Here is a picture of the two compared on 1200 watts. Notice how there isn't much gain in SPL down low and where there is gain is where cabin gain normally occurs, so you would have to remove that with a DSP anyway. In my opinion, I would concentrate on making a nice sealed box for that driver only. If you were into SPL competition, well then the ported box makes more sense in this case but not if you are going to try and use a DSP with a target curve to tune it down with cabin gain. If you didn't have enough amplifier power then the ported box would also make more sense but you have twice the power that the driver can safely take over a long period of time, at least thermally anyway. I modeled both on 1200 watts in 3.4 cu ft with the fb at 30.43 Hz.
View attachment 288043

Thanks! You simplified my build! I'll take your advise and focus on making a really solid, sealed box for the 15".

Reactions: pw91686

·
Registered
389 Posts
nice!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Beautiful! What are your plans for the feet?

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Beautiful! What are your plans for the feet?
Thanks! Two in the back that will bolt down, and one in the front/center between the subs... The box is 15" high and the rear feet are 2.75". With the angle at the top, it clears the lip on the window by about 1/4", enough for carpet!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks! Two in the back that will bolt done, and one in the front/center between the subs... The box is 15" high and the rear feet are 2.75". With the angle at the top, it clears the lip on the window by about 1/4", enough for carpet!
Nice. It looks like the bottom piece of your foot is shaped around the dip (where the cargo tub cover goes). That is bad-ass. Coming from a guy stressing about the foot design his upcoming box for the same vehicle.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Nice. It looks like the bottom piece of your foot is shaped around the dip (where the cargo tub cover goes). That is bad-ass. Coming from a guy stressing about the foot design his upcoming box for the same vehicle.
Thanks!
Those piece of wood are not at all the feet. I used them to determine the height of the feet...

Reactions: Anu2g

·
Registered
389 Posts
Gonna sound awesome! 🔊

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Fedex dropped the 15" off today, I can't wait to get home to see it. Keep in mind this is my first "big" sub, hence the excitement!

I should take pics of it next to a 12".

Reactions: pw91686 and Anu2g

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Fedex dropped the 15" off today, I can't wait to get home to see it. Keep in mind this is my first "big" sub, hence the excitement!

I should take pics of it next to a 12".
Never owned a 15", but i remember when my 18" was delivered for my HT. You are in for some fun!!!
IMAG0068 copy.jpg

21 - 40 of 99 Posts