Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Reactions: Coppertone

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Done for now... Time for a test bump. I'll cover it later.

Push terminals all around:

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Btw, I left the rubber gaskets off for the final assembly to keep them pristine... ;)

Reactions: Anu2g

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
nice spacing between the screws and the surround :)

Reactions: DavidRam

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nicely done. I am doing a new setup as well. 2 12" Fi Xv3's or 2 12" DC Audio Level 3 2.1s. Just sitting here waiting on that check to arrive and make a decision with my box designer who has done a couple thousand boxes at this point and did it professionally.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Damn man! Amazing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nicely done. I am doing a new setup as well. 2 12" Fi Xv3's or 2 12" DC Audio Level 3 2.1s. Just sitting here waiting on that check to arrive and make a decision with my box designer who has done a couple thousand boxes at this point and did it professionally.
Those new xv3’s look cool, I just got 2-12” ssd’s from Fi, nice quality subs. I was going to go with the DC level 3’s, but having a hard time getting them right now.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Actually the DC Level 3 12" 2.1s are available through eBay right now for 280 a piece. He thinks I should go with the Fi Xv3's over the DC Level 3 2.1s as he said they are a better subwoofer. I have a Cab-22 that puts out 2,200 certified at 1ohm but has tested at 2,450 certified at 1ohm. I thought about the SSD's as well. But the cost is higher 280 vs 209 and the RMS is 1,500 vs 1,000. Idk if my amplifier can handle them and I just got it so not feeling like upgrading but I could buy another and strap them if I wanted to.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Damn man! Amazing.
I got the aluminum bits in, the perforated sheet, and the angle for the feet. The angle is 3/8" thick which is massive!

Reactions: Anu2g

·
Registered
389 Posts
got em playing?

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Ok, so I fired it up, and here are my initial impressions BEFORE touching anything in the tune:
The two 12s easily have the same or more output than the Hutchinson. Also, without even measuring I can tell they have a much flatter frequency response, they neither peak nor fall off much anywhere to my ears...
Keep in mind that is at the same settings that Dirac Live gave the Hutchinson. After adjusting crossovers and retuning with DL, who knows what they will do! ;)
They are smooth sounding subs but will absolutely kick your butt!
Bad news, I've got some new rattles...

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I think I have come to the conclusion that I like the sound of sealed better than ported. To me it seems tighter, cleaner, more precise, etc..

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I think I have come to the conclusion that I like the sound of sealed better than ported. To me it seems tighter, cleaner, more precise, etc..
Watch out! Some people think those are fightin' words! Not me though.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I ran a little experiment (as you know already) comparing a GB12 sealed to a GB12 ported and using a DSP to make the ported box sound like the sealed box with the exception of the lowest frequencies well below 25 Hz. I did this as a blind test with a few Anonymous members at a meet by switching the boxes back to back with each other while playing certain music. Some couldn’t tell, some preferred the ported box, and some preferred the sealed, but none stood out as a clear winner. Conclusion: tuning makes more of a difference, sealed is easier to tune, Ported makes the most SPL on the least power.

;) :whistle: :coffee:

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
After a little more SQ and bass heavy listening this morning, I am still convinced that in all genres the two 12s sound better than the Hutchinson. BUT I found one exception... This song
is one of my bass demo songs. At full tilt the Hutchinson gives you a more fun and intense SPL experience. The Brahmas sound a little restricted, if that makes sense, whereas the Hutchinson goes nuts. Of course I haven't touched the tune yet, so it's not really a fair comparison yet.

Reactions: JCsAudio and Anu2g

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
David, you’re going to end up with the same problem I have. You say to yourself “I will buy these to try them out thinking you will just sell the ones you don’t like” but then you like each one for difference reasons and you end up with a subwoofer hoarding problem. 🙃

·
Registered
157 Posts
David, you’re going to end up with the same problem I have. You say to yourself “I will buy these to try them out thinking you will just sell the ones you don’t like” but then you like each one for difference reasons and you end up with a subwoofer hoarding problem. 🙃
Good thing the MiniDSP has 4 presets.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Hutchinson 10 ported (red) vs Brahma sealed 12 x2 in 1.58 cu ft (orange) on 1000 watts. Don't forget those new subs need to break in before they get louder down low.

Hutchenson 10 ported (red) Brahma sealed 12 x2 (orange).png

41 - 60 of 99 Posts