DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
181 - 200 of 327 Posts

·
Vendor
21,128 Posts
Question - why crossing your door midbass at 60 rather than 80? I’ve seen a lot of stuff that says cross the midbass at 80 and the subs at 60. Just curious.
Because beefy 8" midbass drivers that can handle it with ease, well-deadened doors, and a subwoofer that doesn't sound super great up top.

·
Premium Member
2021 GMC Sierra AT4
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Question - why crossing your door midbass at 60 rather than 80? I’ve seen a lot of stuff that says cross the midbass at 80 and the subs at 60. Just curious.
Because beefy 8" midbass drivers that can handle it with ease, well-deadened doors, and a subwoofer that doesn't sound super great up top.
^^^What he said. Without any crossovers they dig down to 40-45hz really without much issue.

I’m curious. Why did you scrap the blams already? Didn’t you just have them installed.
It's a tough question to answer because I didn't have anything I didn't like about the BLAM mid/tweet but I have found more that I love about the Morels so far.

I started with exploring a second build in my gf's Subaru (because I enjoy the hobby too much to not have some project to work on) and decided I would use my truck as a test bench of sorts. I had wanted to try this Morel combo for some time and had some extra parts to try them pretty easily in my truck. Secondly, I really wanted to try tuning a full set up on my own. Now that I have the Morels pretty much there tuning wise, it's pretty hard for me to give them up. I think most of my love for the Morels is falling on the tweeter and smooth nature of the sound signature. They just play much friendlier with my tinnitus in my left ear without needing to cut anything from my tunes frequencies. In order for me to find the happy spot on the BLAMs, for my ears, I have to cut a couple db in the 3-5k range that lost some detail and attack that I can retain in the Morels. If I didn't have the issues with my left ear, I am confident I wouldn't have contemplating swapping out the BLAMs.

The best way I can describe the BLAM MS3 and Mg 45 Tweeter is they are very similar to the Utopia 3.5M and TBM in terms of sound signature but with a bit less control of their "bite". The Utopias also play a touch wider and deeper. The BLAMs are incredibly dynamic and detailed drivers, there is some information they revealed that even the Morel set up doesn't. They are a fantastic set of speakers, just ultimately found the Morels gel better with me personally thus far.

·
Premium Member
2021 GMC Sierra AT4
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Grey Symmetry Pattern Grille Font

For reference - X is my Left Ear and O is Right Ear. They actually are pretty balanced again after 8k and up to about 16k then I don't hear. But yeah, like 40db difference in that 3-7k range causes some havoc.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Interesting for sure. The reason I ask is, my buddy just ordered a full Blam setup recently and is installing as we speak. 8,3,tweet I think. Just wanted to see what the issue was.
I did get to listen to the morels vs blams vs frogs vs ads vs focal K2. And I personally liked the blams the best but the morels were right behind them overall. These were all 6.5s however. Glad to see your enjoying the hobby though. I call it a sickness instead of a hobby though. Nice work though overall

·
Premium Member
2021 GMC Sierra AT4
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Interesting for sure. The reason I ask is, my buddy just ordered a full Blam setup recently and is installing as we speak. 8,3,tweet I think. Just wanted to see what the issue was.
I did get to listen to the morels vs blams vs frogs vs ads vs focal K2. And I personally liked the blams the best but the morels were right behind them overall. These were all 6.5s however. Glad to see your enjoying the hobby though. I call it a sickness instead of a hobby though. Nice work though overall
Thanks! I am curious which Morels and BLAMs you heard.

And it's certainly a time (and money) sink of a hobby but car audio is like the amalgamation of my favorite hobbies - woodworking/fabrication, electrical (I do small scale residential electrical on the side) and most importantly music (how we listen and experience it). Truthfully contemplating getting into it as more than a hobby - but not sure what avenue I would take there.

·
Vendor
21,128 Posts
Just a heads up, the "wide and deep" of a Soundstage has almost nothing to so with the drivers themselves. That's on the install and tuning.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Definitely agree nick.
As for the morels. I think they had the elate carbon series on demo. 3way.
The blams seemed a little brighter to me, which is kinda what I like The morels definitely were a warmer style sound. I’m sure they sound killer especially w an established tune already to build from.

·
Premium Member
2021 GMC Sierra AT4
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Definitely agree nick.
As for the morels. I think they had the elate carbon series on demo. 3way.
The blams seemed a little brighter to me, which is kinda what I like The morels definitely were a warmer style sound. I’m sure they sound killer especially w an established tune already to build from.
Yeah - Nick's Utopia set up I heard has mostly on axis tweeters which I neglected to mention before.

I am curious if it was the Alto or MT450 tweet. I think the Alto is a damn close equivalent to the Piccolo but that's in the Elate Carbon Pro set.

·
Premium Member
2021 GMC Sierra AT4
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
I really wanna hear some utopia at some point in my life.
They were exceptional. They caught me off guard (in a good way) with how snappy and dynamic they are. I also attribute this to Nick extracting their potential via tuning.

·
Vendor
21,128 Posts
They were exceptional. They caught me off guard (in a good way) with how snappy and dynamic they are. I also attribute this to Nick extracting their potential via tuning.
My install needs work though. Itll be better soon enough

·
Premium Member
2021 GMC Sierra AT4
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
So from my other thread HERE, some of you may have seen that I was trying to weigh my options around getting custom pillars vs modifying (well really rebuilding from scratch) my pods from Nick around the MM3 and Piccolo. I talked with both Nick and Jim from MTI about this and seeing as I have ultimately tried the performance of dash mounted mid/tweets firing into the windshield in the current set up - I decided to give some custom A pillars a try and placed my order yesterday with MTI. The pillars will house both the MM3 and Piccolo and eliminate the grab handles.

I am trying to decide on the final color scheme. I always air on the side of stealth so my safe choice is Option #1 below but was curious folks thought of the other options. Option 2 is something I think ties well with the dark chrome trim rings around vents/HU in the dash and the orange is a tie in to the seats but I am not if I feel it is tacky or not.

My photoshop mock ups:

Rectangle Font Symmetry Wood Metal

Interior of truck:
Car Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design Gear shift

Guessing I should have these back in 4-5 weeks or so.

181 - 200 of 327 Posts