DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the planning stages of upgrading the "top of the line" JBL system in my 21 RAV Prime and have some questions. My plan is to use a Helix V Eight DSP, which I am led to believe will mean bypassing the JBL amp, but will require the addition of an AMPPRO interface to utilize the turn on & volume control which are housed in the JBL amp. I am also told that I will need to add a "small" amp to drive the existing subwoofer, as the V Eight cannot do that. I considered the V Twelve, but have been told I would still need the AMPPRO and the additional amp, so that would not help.

All that being said, my question is: does this ring true to those that know & have used this equipment, or who have done a like installation? .

Mahalo!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The AP4 should work. Its not officially supported for 2021, but the plug pin out and shape at the amp should be the same as 2020 which is supported.

The JBL system uses allpass filters to help the front driver and passenger seats a similar sound stage. Its not perfect, and not nearly what you'd want if you're after a traditional "IASCA" style one seat car. I've integrated into these using the high level outputs from the JBL amp, and it can sound incredible when correctly tuned on the DSP and some new speakers/sound treatment.

The V Twelve can handle a subwoofer as long as the sub is a Dual 2ohm voice coil configuration. One voice coil would go to channel 11, and the other to channel 12 (you cant bridge helix DSP amps). This would give the sub 240-300ish watts. Not a lot, and not enough for an SPL system. But it'll work and sound great if your goal is enough bass to match and integrate with the front speakers.

If you want more than that, yes, get a separate subwoofer amplifier.

I have a Helix V Twelve for sale that I've had in my personal car for a few months. trying out a different brand now. Shoot me a pm if you'd like to chat about it.

MODERATOR EDIT: GIZMO SAN DIEGO: PLEASE READ THE RULES AND WARNINGS POSTED IN THE CLASSIFIED FORUM, BEFORE PURCHASING ANYTHING FROM ANYBODY WITH ONE POST!

·
Super Moderator
557 Posts
Howdy from up in the OC! I considered Rav4's briefly back in 2019, but the Passport better fit my needs. First you MUST do extensive Sound Deadening, one of the biggest gripes on the new RAV4 is engine/road noise, so spend whatever it takes to get the best sound deadening installed!

Anyway, you are correct, Helix Amps cannot be bridged. Now if you went with the Audison AP F8.9 8-Channel DSP Amp, you would be able to bridge the last two channels together for a 300w Mono channel, enough to power small and/or efficient Sub-woofers and thus not need two amps.

The Audison has slightly more power than the Helix, as well.

Now, that will leave you will six channels, so if you dedicate two channels to some rear Coaxials, the four remaining channels can drive two tweeters and two woofers for your front sound stage. Also you should upgrade the existing subwoofer!

You don't list any budget, so I'll spend some money for you (lol)...
Audison AP F8.9
Front Speakers: Focal ES165K
Rear: Speakers Focal EC165K

Cheers

·
Registered
Rav4 Prime 2021
33 Posts
I am in the middle of a 2021 Rav4 Prime install also. First off, Use the Pacamp, we tried to use the maestro AR, and the installers couldn't get it to work, but the Pacamp does. It pulls the signal before the amp nice and clean and you keep factory controls. MUCH BETTER than after the amp.

I tried after the amp using the Audison Bit nove using the de-equalization tool, and it sounded like garbage. Not the Audison's fault. I'm using the audison now with the new equipment.

I put Some quality 3 way components in and rear fill. I also got a custom sub box made for the pocket in the back passenger side for a JL 10tw3. The sub sounds fantastic after some time alignment and feeding it 500w @2ohm. Install isn't finished, but it sounds brilliant so far. I have a ton of deadening in the doors.

One thing, be careful with the wiring, seems like there is some parallel wiring in the mids (dash) and maybe even the tweeters. Can blow a speaker pretty easily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am in the middle of a 2021 Rav4 Prime install also. First off, Use the Pacamp, we tried to use the maestro AR, and the installers couldn't get it to work, but the Pacamp does. It pulls the signal before the amp nice and clean and you keep factory controls. MUCH BETTER than after the amp.

I tried after the amp using the Audison Bit nove using the de-equalization tool, and it sounded like garbage. Not the Audison's fault. I'm using the audison now with the new equipment.

I put Some quality 3 way components in and rear fill. I also got a custom sub box made for the pocket in the back passenger side for a JL 10tw3. The sub sounds fantastic after some time alignment and feeding it 500w @2ohm. Install isn't finished, but it sounds brilliant so far. I have a ton of deadening in the doors.

One thing, be careful with the wiring, seems like there is some parallel wiring in the mids (dash) and maybe even the tweeters. Can blow a speaker pretty easily.
Thanks for the heads up! After some more research today, the AMPPRO is a definite for my system. Gonna go with the Helix, but haven't decided on what, if any, speakers I will change out. What did you use for your 3 ways? Also planning on adding as much sound deadening as I can throughout the car, try and cut down on the extraneous noise.

·
Registered
Rav4 Prime 2021
33 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! After some more research today, the AMPPRO is a definite for my system. Gonna go with the Helix, but haven't decided on what, if any, speakers I will change out. What did you use for your 3 ways? Also planning on adding as much sound deadening as I can throughout the car, try and cut down on the extraneous noise.
Nice with the helix. Only heard good things.

I put in Hertz Mille legends. 1650 6.5, 700 3in, and the 280 tweet. Had some old focal coaxial for the rear. Still modifying, but so far it sounds incredible. If you're getting that helix, you might as well upgrade those speakers. When pulled out, the stock speakers are very light and probably can't handle much power.

If you're wanting that better sound with more power and depth, I would upgrade the speakers. The stock jbl actually sounds pretty good, for me anyway. The jbl engineers did a good job on it, not sure you can get better sound using the same equipment.

What is the budget?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Post some pictures of your installs in a prime. I am starting to put one in my Prime non JBL also. replacing the heading unit with a Pioneer 8600NEX and reusing my alpine F1 status speakers and amps. Do you guys think the prime can handle the additional power consumption, being we don’t have an alternator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Post some pictures of your installs in a prime. I am starting to put one in my Prime non JBL also. replacing the heading unit with a Pioneer 8600NEX and reusing my alpine F1 status speakers and amps. Do you guys think the prime can handle the additional power consumption, being we don’t have an alternator.
I will for sure put up some pictures as soon as this cluster is complete. Sound dampening is done, Helix is in and we are just waiting for the correct wiring harness to arrive. We are 3 harnesses in, but they keep shipping the wrong one. Looking forward to the updated ride.

·
Registered
Rav4 Prime 2021
33 Posts
I'm running an arc audio 1100.5 and jl 400 in mine with dsp. Power is fine. Also, not seeing any difference in the range. Just needs to be wired properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts