DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Camaro 2SS
441 Posts
Subscribed! I have the same car (well, my wife does lol) and I absolutely love it!
I'm very interested in how/where you grab the SPDIF feed, there are no integration devices/adapters for this.

The HK system in this car is loud but I find that the bass, while there is lots of it, is very boomy and the entire system lacks clarity.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
from what i understand , you can just use the spdif wires to an rca and coax the input to a dsp , well thats my plan anyway , works on paper ! lol

·
Registered
722 Posts
The HK system in this car is loud but I find that the bass, while there is lots of it, is very boomy and the entire system lacks clarity.
I'd agree it sounds "flabby". I'm hoping to add an external subwoofer this summer which should (fingers crossed) tackle that issue.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'd agree it sounds "flabby". I'm hoping to add an external subwoofer this summer which should (fingers crossed) tackle that issue.
the real issue is the oem tune and lack of power and the horrible quality of the oem speakers

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm also starting a stinger build.

I don't really think it has enough bass, the stock subs do nearly nothing and the midbass woofers in the doors sound like they're trying too hard to compensate.

The highs are lacking detail and the sound stage is too low (maybe because I'm 6'5" and my ears are in the ceiling ;))

Grabbing the HU SPDIF should be easy, but you'll lose your steering wheel and head unit volume control (which is a no-go for me).

For me, I think high level inputs will be the only option, I just hope a DSP can overcome most of the HK amp's ****ery.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The highs are lacking detail and the sound stage is too low (maybe because I'm 6'5" and my ears are in the ceiling ;))
+1 6'4" with a freakishly long torso so I'm there with ya.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm also starting a stinger build.

I don't really think it has enough bass, the stock subs do nearly nothing and the midbass woofers in the doors sound like they're trying too hard to compensate.

Grabbing the HU SPDIF should be easy, but you'll lose your steering wheel and head unit volume control (which is a no-go for me).

For me, I think high level inputs will be the only option, I just hope a DSP can overcome most of the HK amp's ****ery.
high level inputs are not going to give me the sq im after ,, the mini dsp remote has volume control so im good , its always a compromise i guess

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Got a little more work done yesterday , working on the amp rack next

Attachments

Reactions: bbfoto

·
Registered
722 Posts
Good work so far! I did a little in the hatch (Noico)-have you noticed much of a difference?

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Good work so far! I did a little in the hatch (Noico)-have you noticed much of a difference?
yes i did giving the rear section 100% coverage made a huge difference in road noise and exhaust drone , i have a little from the mbrp exhaust i have . getting the inside rear on top of the wheel well is a game changer especially if you have any tire noise . i added 2 layers to all surfaces and added a thick mlv sheet on top of that in the wells . its super quiet .cant wait to do all 4 doors inside and out

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I’m making a little bit of progress as of late got all the wiring done / my gb 60’s installed . Working on the mid/ tweet pods now

Attachments

Reactions: Notloudenuf

·
Registered
15 Posts
you doing pods in the sails or A-pillars?

I have some sail pods I 3-D printed for my GS10s that I could share the STL.
(I need to make my own build log)

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I’m using pods for a set of audible physics ram 2’s

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
you doing pods in the sails or A-pillars?

I have some sail pods I 3-D printed for my GS10s that I could share the STL.
(I need to make my own build log)
I’m down for a set of those for sure

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got off my butt and made a build thread, put a link to the sail pod STL in the second post.

·
Registered
2005 SAAB 9-5 Aero / 2008 Siverado LTZ Crew
81 Posts
Hey Ian...My name is Jeff from Cape Cod, You have done some spectacular work here...very inspiring. You have got some great skills and the attention to detail is amazing. I am a "Relative Newbie". I have been chatting with Jason getting some great advice on my first build. I dont know anyone in my area that is into the hobby, so Jason told me that you are in NH and spoke very highly of your work and of you as a person. He also thought that we may hit it off and are possibly cut from some similar cloth LOL...musician, custom bikes, etc. .. That being said, I am starting with a 2005 SAAB 9-5 Aero build, and that just finishing up a performance build part. Basically have done everything except open up the 2.3ltre. should be from factory 250hp - almost 400. Will dyno at some point. A few pics in here if I did it right. Anyway... as far as the Audio Build...I am at the prep stage and will do most all of the install. Although I am planning to get someone to help me with the HU, Maestro, Radar, cams, steering volume integration..(the dash work electrical) part of the install and then the most important part ..."The Tune". I guess we are about 2 hours, and was wondering if I could "pay/hire" you for some help? I could come up that way and grab a room on some weekend or something. I completely understand if that is not something you want to, or can do. I just thought I would ask, as well as begin getting out there, and networking the New Hobby! I hope all of your projects are going as good as can be, and that all is well in NH. Been a while since I have done bike week...last time I think I was on a Bourgets Low Blow!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hey Ian...My name is Jeff from Cape Cod, You have done some spectacular work here...very inspiring. You have got some great skills and the attention to detail is amazing. I am a "Relative Newbie". I have been chatting with Jason getting some great advice on my first build. I dont know anyone in my area that is into the hobby, so Jason told me that you are in NH and spoke very highly of your work and of you as a person. He also thought that we may hit it off and are possibly cut from some similar cloth LOL...musician, custom bikes, etc. .. That being said, I am starting with a 2005 SAAB 9-5 Aero build, and that just finishing up a performance build part. Basically have done everything except open up the 2.3ltre. should be from factory 250hp - almost 400. Will dyno at some point. A few pics in here if I did it right. Anyway... as far as the Audio Build...I am at the prep stage and will do most all of the install. Although I am planning to get someone to help me with the HU, Maestro, Radar, cams, steering volume integration..(the dash work electrical) part of the install and then the most important part ..."The Tune". I guess we are about 2 hours, and was wondering if I could "pay/hire" you for some help? I could come up that way and grab a room on some weekend or something. I completely understand if that is not something you want to, or can do. I just thought I would ask, as well as begin getting out there, and networking the New Hobby! I hope all of your projects are going as good as can be, and that all is well in NH. Been a while since I have done bike week...last time I think I was on a Bourgets Low Blow!
Hey Bud ! sure i would love to help out ! pretty cool build for a saab ! pm me anytime , ian

Reactions: naiku

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
a quick update ,, i have the amp rack installed and the system is up and running !! using the oem spdif input into the mini dsp worked great ! pics to come

·
Registered
722 Posts
a quick update ,, i have the amp rack installed and the system is up and running !! using the oem spdif input into the mini dsp worked great ! pics to come
Whaaaaa? I need to know more about this? Do the factory volume controls/chimes still work as they did?

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Whaaaaa? I need to know more about this? Do the factory volume controls/chimes still work as they did?
factory volume /no but mute works , i dont need that to work because im using the dsp volume control .. the chimes dont work but its easy to make them work , if your using a helix or mini dsp
most important to me is a nice clean signal .

21 - 40 of 42 Posts