DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My obsession started with wanting to add a sub, now look at me...

Phase I: I installed a powered JL Audio 8” Microsub+. This really was the only upgrade I was planning on. However, I had plenty of power to work with since I ran a 4 gauge wire. When installing the sub I sound deadened the rear of the truck. Didn’t really take any pictures of this stage.

After about month with the sub I started planning a phase II. I’m moving towards a 3 way passive setup. I’ll go active eventually but since I have crossovers I thought I would be a good opportunity to see the difference between the two. I would also need to get another amp to go active.

Here is what I’m working with:

HU: Stock – Non JBL Entune Headunit
Interface: Fix 82 (bought for $110 so thought what the hell). Also have a Twk D8 on the way.
Speaker Amp: Rockford Fosgate T400X4AD
Front Speakers: Morel Virtus 603
Rear Speakers: Stock
Subwoofers: Powered JL Audio 8” Microsub+

Current Progress:

Yesterday I ripped apart my doors, installed the two door Kno Knoise kit, installed the morel woofers, and built an amp rack for under the passenger seat. Here are a few pics of the work so far:
Automotive tire Wood Tire Bumper Automotive exterior

Gas Space Auto part Metal Composite material

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Helmet Automotive lighting Automotive design

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to describe the sub pic. I was test fitting a small piece of ABS plastic that I cut. It will hold a distribution block that takes the 4 gauge wire and splits it into two 8awg wires. One will go to the powered sub and the other will go to the speaker amp. It has a decent amount of space that I can likely use down the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It “melted” on me in the doors, as with a few others.
I looked at your build thread, and noticed the pictures of it melting on plastic. I only applied it to metal that was cleaned with alcohol prior to rolling it on. I'm also living in Wyoming so I see a lot more cold weather than 90 degree days.

When searching for other cases of it melting, I mostly see your posts either here or on reddit. I think there was one other person in southern CA on Facebook that had some melting in the trunk but not enough to rip it out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking good so far! Do you have plans to close up those holes between the inner and outer door skins? If not I would highly recommend it. Let me know if you've got any Taco questions, been working on mine for 10 yrs now, lol. I think I'm on iteration 6 or 7 now.
Those holes are covered up with foam that comes already installed. The only hole that isn’t covered is the one above the speaker. What did you cover yours with?

Edit: I’ll see if I can find a picture of it with the foam back in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is it possible to use your current 4-channel to go active straight to the mid bass, and "active" to the crossover for the mid + tweeter combo? At least until you get another amp.
I've been thinking how you would set this up. Where would I set the crossover points for the mid/tweeter combo?

Edit: Would I just hook the mid/tweeter's to the crossover and the woofer straight to the amp?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tried to see how much could install after Thanksgiving dinner. The rack under the seat and everything ready to go so I thought I be mostly running wires and installing the mids in the dash. Well I ran into a few snags:

- The Fix 82 was about a 1/2 inch too tall for the front seat to move back and forth. I've read people install "seat jackers" to help with the clearance but I might just run them in the back. Really don't want to lose the drivers side cubby though....

- When installing the seat back in I cross threaded one of the bolts a few turns. I'll probably try and retap it from the bottom if its accessible and buy a new bolt. I'd say only a few of the threads are messed up but I don't want to crank on it.

- One of the gain knobs on the used amp I bought just spins. The other has real obvious min and max... Not sure if this is an easy fix or I can just use it "as is." I was going to just install it and see if the gains can be adjusted.

So it looks like I'll need to do a little more planning before making my next move.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The holidays slowed me down a bit but I had a free day on Sunday that I spent running wires. I was able to run all new speaker wires, install mids in the dash and tweets in the a-pillars, calibrate the fix82, and I am bridging the 4 channel amp to the crossovers. I haven't finalized where the tweeters will go so I will be moving them around with velco before settling on a spot. I also did some soldering for the first time in probably 20 years and made little tweeter capacitor harnesses. These won't go in until I go active.

I was able to calibrate the fix82 after some work but I forgot to turn down the gain with the DRC knob (which also needs to find a home). So I still have a little buzz problem. I adjusted this a bit after connecting with Tun today but I’ll need to keep learning how to use the software.

Still a lot of work to do but at least I got to hear the speakers all together for the first time late last Sunday. Pretty stoked.

Left on the list includes:

-Install Twk D8
-Install XD 400/4v2
-Install DRC-205
-Install Valet swtich
-Find a home for the tweeters

The XD/400 will likely run the tweeters and mid To fit the XD 400/4v2 under the passenger seat I ordered some seat risers. Like the Fix82 and TwkD8, there are some bars on the seat that prevent the seat from moving if those are in. I'm waiting on those to show up along with some other things to do the install noted above.

I'll also have to make a decision on where to put the Fix and Twk. Right now the Fix is in the back tucked in with the sub but I'm debating really crowding under the passenger seat, leaving it in the back, or lifting the drivers seat and putting it there.

Right now I’m running passive with the Fix and it sounds pretty good. The mid bass is lacking. I’ve messed with the tun software for a few minutes and it’s helped but I really need full become comfortable with it before I know what I’m doing,
Automotive tire Bicycle part Bicycle tire Electrical wiring Wood

Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Wood Electrical wiring Floor Flooring

1 - 9 of 9 Posts