DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been highly considering the 2022 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro model. The one reason I’m unsure is because this model is a hybrid and has the battery stored under the rear seats. Where do subs go then? How realistic is it to get one under the passenger and driver seat? It also looks like there might be a center channel which is pretty interesting. Your thoughts? Currently have a 2010 tundra double cab with SI 12’s under the rear seats and a 3-way hybrid active system with Zapco DC amps.
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light

· Registered
2,517 Posts
Who makes that truck as I couldn't tell from the picture? :)

Can the box go above the battery and move the rear seat pads on top and have the subs fire through the rear seat?

With a truck you could also rebuild the console with a sub or two.

· Banned
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
2,490 Posts
Just wall it off man problem solved you don’t need rear seats that’s what a bed is for. If your trying to carry 4 people then don’t put anything aftermarket in because there won’t be any room for your amps unless you run them to the bed and a small grommet holes for the wires. If you want bass then do under seats you gotta fit what you can fit but they don’t even have the rear cargo seating cubic ft yet. Also you don’t have to get the pro model could always get a different model with all the same upgrades with out the iforce max. I’m buying one eventually but I’ll be removing my whole rear seats I dont have a gf or a family I don’t want people to ride with me anyways.
If you need rear seats then your gotta make sacrifices if you want a system or trd pro more is up to you. Just because the platinum doesn’t have the trd suspension doesn’t mean you can pay for it to be installed on one with out the i force max. It’s up to you ultimately what do you want more in reality or don’t get the trick at all.

· Registered
1,853 Posts
Frankly I'd just buy any of the other trucks on the market. The new tundra is about as disappointing as a turd on a birthday cake.

· Banned
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
2,490 Posts
Frankly I'd just buy any of the other trucks on the market. The new tundra is about as disappointing as a turd on a birthday cake.
I guess that’s opinion based if you means exterior sure but mechanical I don’t know they been testing that for 6 years. I’m sure minor problems will happen in first year but they entire platform is for all the new suvs so if they screw this up over 50% if not more vehicles including Lexus line wil all ended up on recalls only thing that’s gone Chance is some electronics

· Registered
1,853 Posts
You don't need recalls to be problematic. The 5.7 was a workhorse, not as robust as the old 4.7 or the 4.6, but still very robust. We saw it with the Ford Ecoboost, it doesn't matter how much testing you do, if you want a long lasting motor for a truck, you go v8 or you go diesel. The best marketing that the HD trucks have ever had is all the Ecoboost 3.5 failures.

Here's the thing, Toyota missed the market. Truck buyers don't want hybrids. GM tried is over a decade ago, they didn't sell. Ram is trying it with the etorque, they don't sell. Ford had a winner with the diesel, but killed it off to try to sell more hybrids that don't sell. The small displacemt diesels are the winners in this segment, and I bet the ram or gm diesel will do everything better than the hybrid Toyota. They already do everything better than the hybrid ram and f150 except maybe 0 to 60...

· Registered
525 Posts
This post is not about your weak opinion on Toyota, Ram, Chevy, or Ford trucks. This gentleman is looking for options to run a subwoofer somewhere inside the cabin. He's not asking you what brand to buy. He knows the Tundra will be the most capable and reliable truck in its class. @JoshT there is a compartment behind the rear seats that might work for putting in a sub or subs. This truck will be hated by ignorant people that don't like change.

· Registered
525 Posts
I’ve been highly considering the 2022 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro model. The one reason I’m unsure is because this model is a hybrid and has the battery stored under the rear seats. Where do subs go then? How realistic is it to get one under the passenger and driver seat? It also looks like there might be a center channel which is pretty interesting. Your thoughts? Currently have a 2010 tundra double cab with SI 12’s under the rear seats and a 3-way hybrid active system with Zapco DC amps. View attachment 312330
Don't worry, this truck comes equipped with a JBL sub enclosure behind the rear seat. There's also storage space next to it. Here's a picture.
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive design

· Super Moderator
2,615 Posts
The OP is wondering where to mount a Sub on a truck he was considering buying. I had a 98 4-Runner for 17 years and 217k miles, it was the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, but I would not buy another, Toyota has upgraded the outside of the 4-Runner and a few of the electronics, but the engine and tranny are the same as 10+ years ago.

Toyota has been super slow in updating the Tundra, 4-Runner and Sequoia, they don't seem to want to dump the research, design and retooling costs associated with what they consider low-selling vehicles. They made a ton of mistakes with the latest RAV4 redesign as well. I do not trust Toyota as much as I once did, but that being said they are still one of the top automakers...

I'm not a truck guy, the one one I owned was a 94 GMC S15, I seriously looked at the Tacoma before buying my Passport, and am very happy with that decision.

I did rent a RAM truck last year to take camping, it drove awesome, was super smooth and quite inside and since the RAM has won the Truck of the Year the last 3 tears in a row - that would be my choice over the Tundra...

Cheers...

· Registered
1,853 Posts
This post is not about your weak opinion on Toyota, Ram, Chevy, or Ford trucks. This gentleman is looking for options to run a subwoofer somewhere inside the cabin. He's not asking you what brand to buy. He knows the Tundra will be the most capable and reliable truck in its class. @JoshT there is a compartment behind the rear seats that might work for putting in a sub or subs. This truck will be hated by ignorant people that don't like change.
I mean, he's not bought it yet. We are just looking out for the guy so he can avoid a huge mistake since the truck isn't even out yet.

Rest assured, the new tundra will be the biggest laughing stock on the market, without the reliability of the 5.7 to fall back on. It will now be the most problematic, most useless, most needlessly complex truck on the market, and get worse efficiency than the diesels, not last as long as the V8 trucks, and get trashed in performance by the 6m2 and hell vat products. Heck, it won't even be the value buy like the Titan. It's just gonna be... The Toyota flop.

Toyota had a power train that enabled them to stay competitive with a 15 year old truck. Tundra and dequia still sell in surprising volume despite being right out of 2009. They sold because their power trains were proven, robust, and reliable. Toyota decided to toss All of that out the window on a power train that the big dogs have found limited success in selling, and adding a hybrid mandatory as well.

Listen, I get it, you've got café and all sorts of other government fingers in the industry to deal with. But as a multi time truck buyer, multi time suv buyer, dream demographic for these vehicles, they missed the mark. A hybrid system you could argue maybe helps with off the line towing, but frankly no truck nowadays struggles here. The turbo v6 leads to major fuel consumption when towing, or just when you're moving a heavy ass truck. You can maybe game the epa fuel economy ratings like Ford did, but real world you'll get demolished, like Ford does. Toyota should have licensed a smaller diesel from literally anyone. BMW, MB, VW, GM, Ram, Land Rover... Anyone. Because that's the answer for this vehicle segment. Gobs of torque, efficient in town, efficient on the highway, robust and long lasting, and super efficient when towing. I know guys with the gm baby ax diesels getting nearly 20mpg towing a 5000 pound boat. They were getting 5 or 6 in Ecoboost f150s.

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No
Don't worry, this truck comes equipped with a JBL sub enclosure behind the rear seat. There's also storage space next to it. Here's a picture. View attachment 312624
This is exactly what I was looking to see! Do you happen to have a link to the video this was shot from?

· Banned
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
2,490 Posts
I second that link I haven’t found one that shows interior in the rear much

· Registered
1,994 Posts
Who knows hybrids better than Toyota? I mean they built the Prius along with about every other model they make (Lexus too) with Hybrid power, and are arguably the best at it.

I own a 2014 5.7 that replaced my 2010 5.7, and would LOVE to get more than 15mpg. So yeah, if my current Tundra wasn’t paid off, I’d be interested in the new 2022 model. Think about it, Toyota & Lexus are 2 of the most reliable auto brands in the world. They don’t redesign models often, so I have serious doubts this is going to be a birthday cake turd or laughing stock. Some of the comments in this thread however, are pretty funny 😄.

BTW, Ford and GM build a lot of things that don’t work that well, so why would you think they could build a hybrid full-size truck that was worth a damn?

Reactions: 619Tundra

· Banned
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
2,490 Posts
Who knows hybrids better than Toyota? I mean they built the Prius along with about every other model they make (Lexus too) with Hybrid power, and are arguably the best at it.

I own a 2014 5.7 that replaced my 2010 5.7, and would LOVE to get more than 15mpg. So yeah, if my current Tundra wasn’t paid off, I’d be interested in the new 2022 model. Think about it, Toyota & Lexus are 2 of the most reliable auto brands in the world. They don’t redesign models often, so I have serious doubts this is going to be a birthday cake turd or laughing stock. Some of the comments in this thread however, are pretty funny 😄.

BTW, Ford and GM build a lot of things that don’t work that well, so why would you think they could build a hybrid full-size truck that was worth a damn?
It’s because they don’t test their products lmao they models that come out are the Customer problems pay us and we will fix it and include the fix in the next year. I drive a Lexus CT200h and the only issue on the 3rd gen Prius motor is the egr replacement maintenance issue and if people choose not to read tsb that’s the customer fault not the manufacturer. Because they did their job letting everyone know. They could do a recall one year tell everyone and some how someone still wouldn’t hear about it. The egr needs maintenance tech every 40k in my opinions but could probably go longer it however will decrease mpg and carbon build causing overheating and head gasket failure over time which sucks but it’s the only real issue which was addressed on the next model. Its difficult to pick up on some over these things because it happens at around 100k plus miles. And I don’t know who will drive 100k miles in one year not saying it’s impossible but still. Toyota makes solid product I drive a Toyota echo I’ve been In 3 wrecks with it I no long let have a firewall mechanically I’ve had 0 issues it’s a 2003 model and I have around 150k. Only issue I’ve had is a clockspring that broke which was also addressed and tsb. Around 145k. The echo has lasted about 300k-400k with little issues like water pump valve cover gasket but who can complain about that on a 1.5 engine. Yes I said 3 wrecks all bad enough on top of drifting on the beach. I have even drove 70mph and out the damn thing in reverse scratching the hell out of the transmission back to drive no issues. So idk 🤷‍♂️ man Toyota has never done me wrong.

Reactions: 619Tundra
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.