DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. A new member on the forum, but have been a lurker for awhile. I really like looking at the builds on here. Pretty in depth compared to what I’ve done!! And so that leads me to my quest and questions. I’ve installed stereos for the better part of 20 years, but never going real in depth with it. I only started sound deadening 5 or so years ago with a superduty I owned. So now I’ve ordered a 21 f150 xlt with the 7 speaker base system, knowing I wanted to upgrade. What I think I have in mind is the focal integration series components for the front, both speakers in the stock location. I will pull the door panels and treat them and close in any holes I can. Another set of the focal integration coaxials in the rear doors. I can also be talked into anything else that might be better for the money. It will be around 500 Canadian for the fronts, and 300 for the rears. So around those price ranges
For the amp duties, I was thinking the alpine X-A90V 5 channel. I intend to keep the stock head unit as it’s a 12” screen and I don’t want to mess with that.
For subs, I have left over 10” shallow mount pioneers from my superduty build. They may not be the best, but I already have them. Unless I (wife) can be coaxed into something better that will fit behind the rear seat.
I also plan to do deadening to the rest of the truck. Gut the interior and lay mat down. I won’t go so far as to pull the dash though.
On top of all this, I will be installing a DSP. Which one is up to you guys. This will be the first DSP I’ve ever installed. I keep reading on here so much stuff about helix, but read that the user interface isn’t noob friendly.

Sorry for the long story, but want to get this new truck done right.
Thank you
Clarence

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Hello all. A new member on the forum, but have been a lurker for awhile. I really like looking at the builds on here. Pretty in depth compared to what I’ve done!!

And so that leads me to my quest and questions. I’ve installed stereos for the better part of 20 years, but never going real in depth with it. I only started sound deadening 5 or so years ago with a superduty I owned.

So now I’ve ordered a 21 f150 xlt with the 7 speaker base system, knowing I wanted to upgrade. What I think I have in mind is the focal integration series components for the front, both speakers in the stock location.

I will pull the door panels and treat them and close in any holes I can. Another set of the focal integration coaxials in the rear doors.

I can also be talked into anything else that might be better for the money. It will be around 500 Canadian for the fronts, and 300 for the rears. So around those price ranges.

For the amp duties, I was thinking the alpine X-A90V 5 channel. I intend to keep the stock head unit as it’s a 12” screen and I don’t want to mess with that.

For subs, I have left over 10” shallow mount pioneers from my superduty build. They may not be the best, but I already have them. Unless I (wife) can be coaxed into something better that will fit behind the rear seat.

I also plan to do deadening to the rest of the truck. Gut the interior and lay mat down. I won’t go so far as to pull the dash though.

On top of all this, I will be installing a DSP. Which one is up to you guys. This will be the first DSP I’ve ever installed. I keep reading on here so much stuff about helix, but read that the user interface isn’t noob friendly.

Sorry for the long story, but want to get this new truck done right.

Thank you
Clarence

Welcome to DIYMA, Clarence.

I would suggest heading to YouTube and searching for "F150" on the following YouTube channels:

Five Star Car Stereo

and

Dean and Fernando's Car Stereo Clips

You might also want to use the YouTube search Filters to limit your searches to show only the videos that were uploaded within the past year.

Both YouTube channels are videos from the 5 Star Car Stereo shop located in Clearwater, FL. The installers are Dean & Fernando.

They have installed all levels of stereo systems in the F150 series trucks almost daily for many, many years. They know what works and what doesn't, what is just "okay", and what is awesome.

There are some specific OEM Factory Integration issues when installing aftermarket systems in these trucks when retaining the OEM head unit.

And since they are Aluminum Body trucks where the sheetmetal panels are Glued together rather than welded, they recommend running Both Power (+) AND Ground (-) wires from the battery terminals all the way to the amplifier locations and connections, since a consistent negative ground cannot travel through the glued aluminum panels.

The Rockford-Fosgate DSR1 is a popular and affordable DSP unit that has iDataLink Maestro AR (Amplifier Replacement) OEM interface compatibility for these trucks. However, I'm not sure about compatibility with the 2021 MY, and it varies depending on if you have the base system with the small screen, 12" screen, or a "branded" OEM amplified system with the 8.4" screen such as Sony Sync/Bose/B&O, etc.

The R-F DSR1 needs to be configured initially with a Windows PC. After this, it can only be "tuned" or adjusted using an iPad or iPhone. It will also work with Android devices, but the Android app is glitchy & janky (not recommended).

The Helix DSP units are among the best, but must be setup and adjusted with a Windows PC only, and they are more complex and involved than the DSR1.

In addition, you sometimes need to install "load resistors" to the OEM Ford stereo's speaker outputs if you disconnect the speakers from it to add separate aftermarket amplifiers for your new speakers. AudioControl sells these and Ford vehicles usually require the LGD BLUE versions. Your base model stereo may not need them. More information here:

Dean & Fernando do two YouTube Live Stream Q&A videos each week at 6pm EST on Saturdays & Mondays. During these videos you can ask (type) specific questions in the YouTube "Live Chat" about what is needed and recommended for your specific Make, Model, Year, & Trim Level of vehicle and given your specific budget.

But search their existing videos first!!! There is a wealth of information there.

Also, for the same money, IMO there are better speakers than the Focal Integration line. But they may take more work and effort to install, whereas the Focals are simply Plug & Play.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome reply. Thanks. I have watched a couple of their videos. Not about f150’s in particular. I’ll do that.
As for the door speakers, I can definitely fabricate whatever is needed.
I have 3 kids in hockey, and this is my first new vehicle in 18 years, and I feel guilty buying it. So if I can get a better speaker for the money, I’m all for value for my dollar!!

Here we are sound deadening my sons 67 f250 getting it ready for a stereo and to make it more enjoyable to drive down the road. Talk about a tin can rattling on down the road!
Clarence

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going for the best overall sound quality for a wide range of music. I just listened to a factory system, and I now know for sure I need to do something with it. Given the parameters in my previous posts, with price ranges, anyone have more recommendations for speakers?
I did see an install where a guy didn’t have to install any kind of load for the speakers to see.
thanks
Clarence

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, maybe changed my mind already. Looking at the Morel CPK 165 pro’s for the fronts. Not sure about rears yet. And for the DSP and amp duties, an Audio Control D6-1200-6 channel combo unit. Anyone care to comment on this combo?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you saying the tempo ultra 602’s? That’s what I find on their site. But they offer other sizes as well. So far it’s against these 2 sets. The Hertz or the Morels. I say those focals as well, but maybe I should be looking into a normal 6.5 vs the direct fitment ones.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Are you saying the tempo ultra 602’s? That’s what I find on their site. But they offer other sizes as well. So far it’s against these 2 sets. The Hertz or the Morels. I say those focals as well, but maybe I should be looking into a normal 6.5 vs the direct fitment ones.
I would definitely go with the Morel Tempo Ultra MK II's over any of the Hertz Cento series.

If the 6"x9" Morel Tempo Ultra 692 MK II will fit, they are midbass monsters, but maybe lack just a bit in the midrange clarity & detail. The tweeters are really nice for the high end, tho'.

You might sacrifice just a bit of the extreme midbass output of the 6x9's, but the 6.5" Morel Tempo Ultra 602 MK II are excellent as well and have a bit better midrange clarity & detail.

That can all be adjusted to some degree with proper EQ.

If you can find them at a discounted price On Sale or from your local dealer (usually up to 20% Off if you ask), I would also consider the 6x9 Alpine X type X-S69C or X-65C 6.5" components.

Hertz Centos are just kind of "MEH" for the money IMO, but try and listen to any of these before buying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey everyone. Sorry to bring up an older thread, but I have some of the parts, buts still need speakers. Like I said before, I’ve been installing stuff for years, but always mid line main brands. I see stereo integrity has a mid bass and tweeter set that looks good. What are your thoughts on these speakers vs the above mentioned ones? Are the 6.5’s more geared toward the bass heavy stuff? The speakers come pretty highly reviewed, and are an excellent price it seems. I have a JL VX600 6 channel in case I ever want to try running active front.
I am hopefully ordering speakers in the next week or so, so let me know what you think.
thank you all
Clarence

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just a heads up from a fellow Canadian...I have attempted to contact SI 4 times since boxing day...email, Instagram, Facebook, called and left a message even and not a single reply, nothing. I had a pair of their new 6.5s in my cart ready to buy but for some reason was prompted to email support for a shipping cost. This isn't the first time either. When they first released their SQL subs I contacted them to get a shipping quote and again not a single response. Guess they don't want my Canadian money lol...and definitely won't be getting any of mine in the future.

·
Registered
07 Accord GS9-Arc Audio dsp-Audison Voce 5.1K+Due-HAT Legatia SE 3 way + Clarus 15 in IB
278 Posts
Just a heads up from a fellow Canadian...I have attempted to contact SI 4 times since boxing day...email, Instagram, Facebook, called and left a message even and not a single reply, nothing. I had a pair of their new 6.5s in my cart ready to buy but for some reason was prompted to email support for a shipping cost. This isn't the first time either. When they first released their SQL subs I contacted them to get a shipping quote and again not a single response. Guess they don't want my Canadian money lol...and definitely won't be getting any of mine in the future.
I'm sure Nick will lose sleep over not getting your $250

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello everyone. I am really bringing up an old thread again here. I have bought the Morel Tempo Ultra's. The component set for the front, and the coaxials for the rear. I know a lot of people like to have just the front ones for staging, but like I said up above, I have 3 kids, so I need some kind of sound for the rear. For amp duties, I have gotten the Kicker Key 200 for now. I am just waiting on a harness to install that. I also have kilmat, and sound shield sitting in the garage waiting to go in. I also have sounds good stereo block off panels for the doors on their way. This will be the first version of my build. I want to eventually go active in the front, and will be mounting the tweeters more on axis. I ordered new A pillar panels, so I can cut them up and mount the tweeters. I am currently looking for a DSP to run, and when I get all the parts for the second version of my system, I'll install all that. I am looking at either the dayton 408, or the Helix DSP 3S. I know for a fact I wont be able to tune it myself, so I'll be looking to get that done. Either remotely, or in person somewhere. I want to go with a 6 channel amp (for active), and then a sub amp for a JL 13TW5v2-2 with a custom behind the seat enclosure, which I will build. I cant have a sub box under the seat, as we often times have my dogs in there with the seat flipped up.

I have looked at the JLvxi amps, and I like them a lot, especially the size of them physically. Since I'm going dedicated DSP, I don't need those anymore. The amps have to fit into a certain area, so I'm looking for a small amp for both. I am kinda OCD, so I'd like the 2 amps to look the same. I was looking at the Alpine amps as well.
My questions are: which DSP is better, given that I wont be tuning it myself, it will be remotely
which amps would you suggest to fit the requirements?

Thanks for all the help so far guys and girls. Much appreciated
Clarence

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also, in terms of getting a clean signal to the DSP, I am really getting analysis paralysis on what to get between the factory head unit and a DSP. I try looking it up, and I have done a lot of reading. Some say a NAVtv unit, but I think that's only for the B and O system. Then I see some have a JL fix, and others have a LOC from Audiocontrol. So I'm not sure which one to get. Or just the DSP with high level inputs coming straight from the factory head unit?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, in terms of getting a clean signal to the DSP, I am really getting analysis paralysis on what to get between the factory head unit and a DSP. I try looking it up, and I have done a lot of reading. Some say a NAVtv unit, but I think that's only for the B and O system. Then I see some have a JL fix, and others have a LOC from Audiocontrol. So I'm not sure which one to get. Or just the DSP with high level inputs coming straight from the factory head unit?
I've also read a lot on the ford forums about changing the output of the factory stereo through Forscan. But again, the more I read, it sounds like that's not possible on the 21 and up trucks. To try get a flat signal coming out.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
If it’s non B and O or Sony all you need to do is run speaker wires to the Helix or processor of your choice. I would also defeat the factory eq also. If you buy a Helix it will also have an input EQ so you can see how flat it really is and make adjustments if needed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts